OT: 2004 Stanley Cup Finals

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Just did this poll on the Oilers boards and they were even more lopsided in favor of the Lightning. Also did it on the Leafs and Habs boards, with the Flames winning big on the Leafs board and steadily on the Habs board.

If you are curious, I did cheer for you guys in the SCF against the Bruins.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Just did this poll on the Oilers boards and they were even more lopsided in favor of the Lightning. Also did it on the Leafs and Habs boards, with the Flames winning big on the Leafs board and steadily on the Habs board.

If you are curious, I did cheer for you guys in the SCF against the Bruins.

Not surprising. I find the 'Canada's team' effect is more of a cross-conference thing. They don't see the Flames very often, and therefore don't have the rivalry built up. I cheered for Ottawa against Anaheim in 2008, but I bet if you asked the Toronto or Montreal board, they were most likely on board the Ducks bandwagon.

StringerBell

Once the Canucks are out I usually stop following it for the most part and go outside and enjoy the spring. As long as the Canucks are in the playoffs I'll watch as many games as I can, but once they lose my passion for watching hockey goes right down the drain. Just stick to big storyline games and the random pub/bar/restaurant viewing.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The cross-conference thing is definitely a huge factor, but I would most likely cheer against Toronto as well.

And while I like Ottawa/Montreal/Winnipeg and would cheer for them under the right circumstances, I don't think it's a much bigger chance that I would cheer for them than an American team that I also liked. (for instance, if they played against the Bruins, absolutely, if they played against the Red Wings, I'd probably go the other way)

I just find that level of patriotic obligation really stupid. It doesn't/shouldn't matter, IMO.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Not surprising. I find the 'Canada's team' effect is more of a cross-conference thing. They don't see the Flames very often, and therefore don't have the rivalry built up. I cheered for Ottawa against Anaheim in 2008, but I bet if you asked the Toronto or Montreal board, they were most likely on board the Ducks bandwagon.

I still don't think the Canucks would win in a poll of Canucks vs. Bruins in any Canadian market except Vancouver and Montreal. And Montreal would be because of their hate of the Bruins.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
I still don't think the Canucks would win in a poll of Canucks vs. Bruins in any Canadian market except Vancouver and Montreal. And Montreal would be because of their hate of the Bruins.
Yup. This is true.

source: my wife is a Habs fan, she rooted for the Canucks for the first time ever - we've been together for a decade - during the 2011 Finals.

Steve Bennett*

Once the Canucks are out I usually stop following it for the most part and go outside and enjoy the spring. As long as the Canucks are in the playoffs I'll watch as many games as I can, but once they lose my passion for watching hockey goes right down the drain. Just stick to big storyline games and the random pub/bar/restaurant viewing.

I agree with Stringy, I generally could care less once the Canucks are out. I don't think I watched more than 5 minutes of last years' SC final. If the bruins or hawks are still around I'd cheer against them. I worked with this guy last year who was a bruins fan and he was telling me how he hated Canucks fans so much because 'you guys don't even care that you're team is out, you're all just happy that the bruins and hawks are out' - to which my response was 'yeeaaaahhhh the bruins and hawks are out, what a day!' I guess if the leaves oilers or flames (or sens habs rags jets pens kings ducks) are around I'll cheer against them too (hence my cheering for TB in 04 and the tsunamis in 06). I found myself last year kinda liking the Capitals simply because they beat out the bruins...

BrockH

Nov 12, 2008
Toronto, ON

Two factors here:
1) Bruins are an original six franchise. Try say...Florida Panthers. I bet you get a different result.
2) A poll on HFBoards just isn't a representative sample. Fans here are fanatical, and also more exposed to other teams' fan bases. I think the average hockey fan would be more likely to cheer "Canada's Team."

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Tampa! I know it is a American team but I don't like the Flames much and I know Flames fans so yea. I wish we played Tampa in the final we would have won the 2011 Stanley Cup.

oyvey

meet you at the bottom if there really is one
Jan 6, 2010
Toronto
Calgary. But I was a teenager and hadn't been completely overtaken by adult bitterness by that point. I'd probably root for Tampa now.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
This has always interested me about Canadian hockey fans, I do not care if you picked my mortal enemy, put him up against an Aussie, and I chair for him every time, could not happen btw because my mortal enemy is probably an Aussie.

True story.

rebel diamond

Sep 2, 2008
Toronto
A poll on HFBoards just isn't a representative sample. Fans here are fanatical, and also more exposed to other teams' fan bases. I think the average hockey fan would be more likely to cheer "Canada's Team."

Bingo. I'm pretty sure the average person in Vancouver (the guy who watches playoff games and/or HNIC when it's on but not a ton of other games) would be way into the "CANADA's TEAM" thing, while more involved fans (like people who post on HF) are more predisposed to hold grudges against rivals.

Also, the cross-conference thing makes a bit of sense. I never cheered for Calgary or Edmonton, but I was rooting for Ottawa until Alfredsson shot the puck at Niedermayer after the period ended.

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
At the time I was a kid and I did want Calgary to win because of the whole Canadian team thing. Now, however, I would want them to get destroyed. The whole support the Canadian team in the playoffs, was never shown for the Canucks during our run...

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Two factors here:
1) Bruins are an original six franchise. Try say...Florida Panthers. I bet you get a different result.
2) A poll on HFBoards just isn't a representative sample. Fans here are fanatical, and also more exposed to other teams' fan bases. I think the average hockey fan would be more likely to cheer "Canada's Team."

As you can see from my join date, I was not a member here during those finals and I was not a lurker so I don't know what the tenor was here during that time. But from what I gathered from the media and other forums, a general feeling was that the Canucks played hockey the "wrong" way while the Bruins played it the "right" way. Some even went as far as saying the Bruins saved hockey by winning because it meant that teams are less likely to emulate the Canucks.

PuckZilla

Mar 3, 2012
Victoria, BC
Flames. If the Canucks aren't in the playoffs, I usually cheer for any Canadian teams still left.

Same here.. I would really like to see the cup back in Canada. Its been far too long. Of course I would like to finally see the Canucks raising it above their heads. One can only dream.

PuckZilla

Mar 3, 2012
Victoria, BC
At the time I was a kid and I did want Calgary to win because of the whole Canadian team thing. Now, however, I would want them to get destroyed. The whole support the Canadian team in the playoffs, was never shown for the Canucks during our run...

Yeah, and there is that as well.

Mixed emotions I have.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I didn't care. I don't like the flames and my girlfriend at the time was a bolts fan so either way things would have been insufferable. I wasn't going to be upset, but I wasn't necessarily going to be happy with either outcome.

However, for what it's worth I think the average Canadian hockey fan was most definitely in the Flames corner without a doubt. For all the drama from Canucks fans in 2011 on hockey boards and all the delusions of widespread hatred, Canada was overwhelmingly in our corner as well.

BrockH

Nov 12, 2008
Toronto, ON
As you can see from my join date, I was not a member here during those finals and I was not a lurker so I don't know what the tenor was here during that time. But from what I gathered from the media and other forums, a general feeling was that the Canucks played hockey the "wrong" way while the Bruins played it the "right" way. Some even went as far as saying the Bruins saved hockey by winning because it meant that teams are less likely to emulate the Canucks.

You're right. There's probably a significant (5-30%) of the fanbase who cheered against the Canucks for that reason if otherwise ndifferent. however, I sitll don't think it is the primary cause that engulffs the 'anti-canuck' sentiment across canada. I live in Toronto, hang out with people who play hockey (play 3 days a week on 3 different teams), and by and large, everyeon is willing to cheer with me despite the fact they are not Canucks fans.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
And now Tortorella is your coach. I bet those of you cheering for Tampa like it even more that they won with since it means a team coached by your future coach beat your biggest rival.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
And now Tortorella is your coach. I bet those of you cheering for Tampa like it even more that they won with since it means a team coached by your future coach beat your biggest rival.

Yeah I hope Torts can bring us a cup I know he will push those players like he said, AV never did that so maybe this team will actually make something happen that's if Gillis makes the right moves this summer and trade deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad