2003 Re-Draft #2

JClaus33

Sep 18, 2013
NC/SC
As much as people complain about him, he has accomplished a lot since he was drafted, still the points leader from this draft by a wide margin. I'll take Staal

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Suter or Perry would be my other options. Perry is a big winger with a lot of nasty + scoring touch. Pretty rare combo. Would do either of those if we had Kopitar as someone above said.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Nashville had Suter AND Weber and got exactly nowhere. It's hard to build around franchise defensemen.

I don't necessarily agree with that. First, the Predators made the playoffs every year but 1 from 05/06 through 11/12 (6/7 years) so they didn't get exactly nowhere. Secondly, their lack of "winning it all" is because Nashville didn't augment those guys with enough talent on offense. No team can win the cup with only a few talented guys. For instance, LA picked Doughty at #2 and built a team with him as one of their star players but they also had a lot of players around him (Kopitar, Williams, Carter, Brown, Gaborik, Quick, etc...). Boston has also been built around Chara also and has had success, but he has a lot of solid players around him.

Even building around Eric Staal, the Canes have made the playoffs only 2 out of 7 years over that same stretch so have a worse track record than Nashville. And they wouldn't have had a cup win had they not gone out and got players through trade/UFA like Williams, Whitney, Stillman, Hedican, Gerber, Weight, Recchi, Cullen, A. Ward, etc.... to augment a guy like Staal.

You can build around a franchise defenseman and have success, but whether it's a franchise defenseman or franchise center, you can't win it all if you don't augment the team with more talent.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Nashville had Suter AND Weber and got exactly nowhere. It's hard to build around franchise defensemen.

So because Nashville couldn't figure out how to draft a forward it's hard to build around a franchise defenseman?

How many "franchise" defenseman are in the league right now? Say 10 maybe.

Doughty
Subban
Weber
Sutter
Chara
Keith
McDonough (arguable)
Pieterangelo

If I'm missing any tip top guys let me know. How many of those teams made the playoffs? All but one? It is not at all difficult to build a team with a franchise defenseman. Not in any way.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Nashville has also won, what, two playoff series in their history?

I don't disagree with your premise in that any team needs complimentary players to build around, I'm just saying it comes easier to build around forwards than defensemen. Forwards have more of an impact on the game, anyway.

Plus, defensemen seem to bust more than forwards. For every Doughty there's a Barker. For every OEL, there's an Ellerby. Jack Johnson, Erik Johnson, Zach Bogosian, Karl Alzner, Luke Schenn, Victor Hedman, Erik Gudbransson, Adam Larsson are all top 5 picks in the last 10 years. They vary from good but not great to outright busts. Most are on their second or third team.

Drafting defensemen is like drafting running backs. The good ones are great, but you can still get decent guys in the later rounds.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
So because Nashville couldn't figure out how to draft a forward it's hard to build around a franchise defenseman?

Doughty - Kopitar, Gaborik, Carter, Richards, Quick
Subban - Vanek, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Price
Weber -
Suter - Parise, Koivu, Pominville
Chara - Bergeron, Krejci, Rask
Keith - Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa
McDonough (arguable) - St. Louis, Nash, Stepan, Lundqvist
Pieterangelo - Backes, Tarasenko, Oshie

If I'm missing any tip top guys let me know. How many of those teams made the playoffs? All but one? It is not at all difficult to build a team with a franchise defenseman. Not in any way.

Added explanations for why the ones that are in the playoffs are in the playoffs. You can't build around franchise defensemen and have nothing at forward like Nashville did for so long. When Nashville actually had a great forward group in 06-07, they did very very well. When their best forward was David Legwand, Steve Sullivan, or Colin Wilson things weren't so great.

Not disagreeing with you at all, just clarifying the points both of you were making.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

Doughty
Subban
Weber
Sutter
Chara
Keith
McDonough (arguable)
Pieterangelo

Most of those guys aren't "built around". By building around, I mean drafting a guy high and then filling in the pieces. Doughty is really the only one that fits the criteria. The Blackhawks are built around Toews and Kane. The Canadiens around Price etc.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Most of those guys aren't "built around". By building around, I mean drafting a guy high and then filling in the pieces. Doughty is really the only one that fits the criteria. The Blackhawks are built around Toews and Kane. The Canadiens around Price etc.

I guess it's just semantics then. Almost all of the best defenseman in the league make the playoffs on a fairly regular basis. That's what I'm saying. That's not a coincidence.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I don't disagree with that. I'm just saying, if I'm basically starting over, I'd look for a forward over a defenseman. For example, if I were Pittsburgh in 2003 with their 2003 roster, the benefit of hindsight, and faced with this choice, I'd probably take Staal or Getzlaf over Weber. Same if I were in Carolina's spot and Fleury still went first.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Suter. Knowing what we know about Eric's inconsistency issues now, I can't justify picking him in a redraft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad