2003 Draftees

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Jason MacIsaac said:
I don't know if I would consider Irmen a steal at #78, there was alot of good hockey players available after that. Not saying it was a poor pick, just not a steal. O'Sullivan on the other hand.

Irmen was the second leading scorer for his team and a big part of the Minnesota team. He's out with an injury but the guy came out of nowhere. At first I was disappointed in this pick but now? Now I think they made the right decision to move up and grab him. I'll eat my crow on that one. He's tough, has good size, the guy is good. He's pretty much a peg for the NHL at the moment.

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
AgentNaslund said:
Ryan Kesler is playing as a role player for the Vancouver Canucks with Park and Rutuu. Ice time is limited because of crappy teams impeding Canuck players which gives us powerplay which forces crow to use our top 6 fowards, etc. Kesler is a PKer, with 1 goal in 9 games.

Actually he's been playing center with Cooke and Park for his wingers in an energy line role. Early in the season when Crawford broke apart the WCE line Bertuzzi was getting a shift with Cooke/Kesler while Park played with Nassy/Mo.

Kesler hasn't looked out of place in the least. A little more offense would be nice but I highly expect that in the new NHL offense will mainly come from the two PP units while those guys who score more at even strength will get fewer points; simply b/c of the increased special teams. Kesler likely won't get 15 goals or 30 points this year but has subplanted Linden to the 4th line if it's any consolation.

Wild Thing

Child... please.
Feb 18, 2003
Way Down South
Visit site
Jason MacIsaac said:
I don't know if I would consider Irmen a steal at #78, there was alot of good hockey players available after that. Not saying it was a poor pick, just not a steal. O'Sullivan on the other hand.

"Steal" is admittedly a strong term, but I think by the time Irmen's done he'll back up my words. Doobie sums him up pretty nicely - the guy's got the whole package, and looks like a lock to make and contribute to the big club at this point. I've got the advantage of being able to see a lot of Gopher's games, and from what I've seen, I'd rank him ahead of a lot of that year's 2nd-rounders and at least on a par with some of the 1st-rounders. It's not often you get a player of that caliber in the 3rd round, even in a deep draft. 2003's shaping up as a banner year for the Wild scouting staff.

Old Hickory

Reaper45 said:
You're a Kings fan? Brown had a monster season in the AHL during the lockout, and is currently pulling 2nd line duty. Great player in the making.

Boyle is starting his junior season at Boston College, and won the a tournament MVP award at the end of last season, definately not a car wash.....

...and Boyle has 3 points in 3 games so far.

Brian Boyle, F, Jr 3 1 2 3 1.00
http://www.uscho.com/stats/team-overall.php?season=20052006&team=bc&gender=m

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Wild Thing said:
"Steal" is admittedly a strong term, but I think by the time Irmen's done he'll back up my words. Doobie sums him up pretty nicely - the guy's got the whole package, and looks like a lock to make and contribute to the big club at this point. I've got the advantage of being able to see a lot of Gopher's games, and from what I've seen, I'd rank him ahead of a lot of that year's 2nd-rounders and at least on a par with some of the 1st-rounders. It's not often you get a player of that caliber in the 3rd round, even in a deep draft. 2003's shaping up as a banner year for the Wild scouting staff.
Its shaping up as a banner year for nearly every single team. Even the teams with below average scouting picked up steals in the 3rd, 4th, 5th etc.
The 2nd round is filled with players who would go 1st round in most years,
The wild did do immense, O'Sullivan is a guy id love to have, and Irmen as well. Even if one of these guys fails, its still a great draft. I disagree with the guy who said Burns was a steal, the kid has done better than expected, and is justifying why he was picked at #20, when many thought that that was a huge reach. However he isnt a a steal, probably has less upsides than guys who got drafted behind him.

DJmastamind

Jan 26, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
www.beckett.com
For Pittsburgh:

1st overall-Marc-Andre Fleury. Starting goalie in the AHL with Wilkes-Barre Scranton (2005) Played 22 games rookie year. Went 4-14-2, with a 3.64 GAA. Not bad for 22 games being a young goalie and playing behind a young team. He's pittsburgh's goalie of the future.

My Take Right now he's not ready for the NHL. He needs to build confidence. He's extremely skilled, and will be a starter in the NHL, but he's not another Patrick Roy or Martin Brodeur.

32nd Overall-Ryan Stone 99 points in 70 games with the Wheat Kings of the WHL last year. He also had 127 penalty minutes. He's powerful, gritty, forward early Keith Tkachuk days type. He already has 4 points in 6 games and 9 penalty minutes for Wilkes-barre this year.

My take Look for him to be a late season call up. I think he will fit in fine with the big club once he gets there. He would be perfect on the 3rd line right now, and he may be able to shake things up like the pens need right now.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
14th D Brent Seabrook
Playing like a very poised top 4 dman. Biggest surprise this season after Vorobiev

52nd G Corey Crawford
Splitting starting duties with Adam Munro in Norfolk and playing solid. Should be called up if Anderson or Khabi get injured.

59th D Michal Barinka

Top 4 dman in Norfolk is most likely to get called up if Vandermeer is sent down.

im too tired to do the rest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad