Speculation: 20/21 Season Roster Talk @ Line Combos

Status
Not open for further replies.

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Hard pass on Johnson, unless it’s a low pick or mid-level prospect and even then I’m not sure because of his contract.

Reactions: Fro

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
AROUND THE BOARDS
An interesting team to watch on the Patrik Laine front may be the Philadelphia Flyers and the talk is they’re making an aggressive push. They have the ability to make the deal if they can find the right fit with the Jets. A league executive speculated Sunday the Flyers would probably want to see if there’s a fit in Winnipeg for defenceman Shayne Gostisbehere. He has three years left with a cap hit of $4.5 million per season, but the Jets could also look to get a second-line centre in return. The Jackets and Montreal Canadiens are both believed to have made pitches for Laine, 22, who has 138 goals and 247 points in 305 games

INSIDER TRADING: The reality is setting in for the Tampa Bay Lightning after Stanley Cup win | Ottawa Sun

nothing earth shattering new but more speculation were circling Laine

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Hard pass on Johnson, unless it’s a low pick or mid-level prospect and even then I’m not sure because of his contract.

Excluding his Foligno/Jenner-esque season he has averaged .586 ppg for the past 5 years. Looks like he hasn't missed much time due to injury. He is better than any 2nd line C we have. So yeah, if the price is right (and I think it is a bit higher than you suggest) I'd go for it. My only concern is that Tort's system might bring his totals down. Of course that is a concern with every top offensive guy we discuss unless they have Panarin like abilities.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Friedman on the CBJ today:

Columbus is going to be one of the league’s more interesting teams over the next week. The Blue Jackets are looking to add more picks — they are not in the second or third rounds — and/or a scorer/centre.

They are trying to sign Josh Anderson, but the question is if he gets signed and traded.
Anderson has told teammates he would be happy to stay in Columbus, but there’s a lot of interest, pending what the contract would be. Calgary and Montreal are among the teams that like Anderson.

The Blue Jackets are also considering offers for David Savard, a tremendously under-appreciated right-shot defender with one year left on his contract.

Seems Jarmo is trying but will he be able to close any relevant deals?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Excluding his Foligno/Jenner-esque season he has averaged .586 ppg for the past 5 years. Looks like he hasn't missed much time due to injury. He is better than any 2nd line C we have. So yeah, if the price is right (and I think it is a bit higher than you suggest) I'd go for it. My only concern is that Tort's system might bring his totals down. Of course that is a concern with every top offensive guy we discuss unless they have Panarin like abilities.

I agree with your assessment of TJ save for some minor quibbles. But his contract is really bad. Only way I'd bring him in is for next-to-nothing. It'd be doing TBL a favor by helping them solve their cap crunch by moving a player I think they'd prefer to move over some others.

Johnson doesn't even have to be "better" than our in-house options, just a better fit with the other players we figure to play him with. And I think that's a distinct possibility.

The trick at center for the CBJ is that Boone, while a valuable player, doesn't fit with enough of the wingers to be an option, and Wennberg, while the "type" of player that would seem a better fit with those wingers, is just plain not good enough. Nash is what he is, a helpful veteran roster player.

When I advocated considering TJ a couple weeks back, it was as a low-cost center add that would be in addition to a LW upgrade, someone that can drive line play (I was trying to find a way for it to be Ehlers but I'd take Johnny Hockey, too, or, I suppose, Hall).

To make this post unnecessarily even longer, the players that could be added, as always, presuming there are deals to be made, could not only be plus adds to the lineup but also, by virtue of being better fits with existing roster players, improve the lineup beyond their own stat contribution.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
sign and trade for Anderson seems pointless to me. If we agree on a deal why not keep the guy?

Couple of things come to mind:

1. We don't like the contract we are actually signing him to but 'X' team does.
2. 'X' team has a player we like in return -- for example a Gaudreau from Calgary. Granted that would take more than just an extended Anderson to close.

But generally I agree with you as Jarmo tends to keep things simple -- ie no sign/trade, no 3-way deals, etc. If he signs the guy he keeps the guy.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Bait is on the water but is there big fish to catch? Waiting is the most cruelty thing.. Hopes are high Laine/Gaudreau
but like fishing this can be a fraud and we get Puljujärvi and Kerfoot.

Reactions: thebus88

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
To make this post unnecessarily even longer, the players that could be added, as always, presuming there are deals to be made, could not only be plus adds to the lineup but also, by virtue of being better fits with existing roster players, improve the lineup beyond their own stat contribution.

I agree. But there is also the possibility it goes the other way. That is the crap shoot with trades. I woul be surprised if TJ has a .6ppg season with us because Torts' system doesn't emphasize offense nor would he have the talent surrounding him that he has in TB. That being said if he was available at the right price I think he is better than the alternatives and he should make his line mates better.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
LeBrun: Latest trade talk on Tyler Johnson, Josh Anderson and Patrik Laine

The Jackets have tried to make headway on a contract extension with Anderson instead, but as of Monday morning, there was no breakthrough on that front. A source told me it was status quo on that whole situation.
Which brings me back to my question: Can Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen risk losing out on what normally would be a great window for trades in and around the first round of the draft if he doesn’t put Anderson on the trade market this week?
Again, the Jackets would much prefer to sign their pending RFA but haven’t been able to do so yet. And they don’t want to go to arbitration with him and have a one-year deal walk him to unrestricted free agency next summer. So it’s decision time either way with Anderson but the question is whether it’s decision time this week.
There would be a long list of suitors if and when he’s put on the trade market. Yes, there would be concern about his shoulder after his injury-plagued season. But the allure of that power game and 27 goal-season of two years ago would have some teams calling. And I believe Montreal would be among those clubs checking in. The Canadiens not only would like to add a top-six forward this offseason but if they can be greedy, a top-six forward with some size.
The Jackets are looking for a centre, would Max Domi be of interest to them?
But again, the Habs would have serious company if Anderson goes on the market.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Johnson is 30 (and small - so he is not likely to be that great at 33) and has 4 years left at $5 million cap hit with a modified no trade clause. He’ll be impossible to trade. I’d rather stand pat and have some cap space and see who shakes loose at the trade deadline as teams are eyeing the expansion draft than trade for Tyler Johnson now.

Reactions: majormajor

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

For non subs, basically confirms what we already know. With some minor wrinkles.

Anderson, CBJ not progressing in contract talks like they’d hoped. Montreal is very interested in him, he doesn’t know if we have interest in Domi. Also says Calgary and many others interested if we try to trade. But the goal is to sign him still.

Jackets have interest in Laine

Jackets and Calgary are talking. He speculated its for a goalie, and we’d have interest in Gaudreau or Monahan.

Reactions: Toe Pick
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad