Friedman: 2 teams showed interest in trading for Erik Karlsson

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
At 50%, they could get something really good for him.

Especially now that the majority of the bonuses have been paid.

That said, the NMC makes it challenging.

Ledge And Dairy

If we have a good draft and off season. I think Habs have a shot at playoffs next year. We need #1 right D though
They certainly don't. Even the Oilers didn't make the playoffs right away with McDavid. The Senators, Red Wings, and Sabres are significantly further along than Montreal in development and roster potential too, and they aren't playoff teams. Its fine to like your prospects but Montreal has a long road ahead of them to competing

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
At 50%, they could get something really good for him.

Especially now that the majority of the bonuses have been paid.

That said, the NMC makes it challenging.
TBF half of the league makes the playoffs, so when the Shorks are 0-30-4 in a few weeks there'll probably be ~22ish teams he'd waive the NMC for.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Even at a 50% reduction, he's still signed for four more seasons after this one. Those are his aged 33-37 seasons.

Seems like a ticking time bomb, but I guess a team feels he is the missing piece for a Cup run this season, maybe they take the risk?

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
They certainly don't. Even the Oilers didn't make the playoffs right away with McDavid. The Senators, Red Wings, and Sabres are significantly further along than Montreal in development and roster potential too, and they aren't playoff teams. Its fine to like your prospects but Montreal has a long road ahead of them to competing

The Redwings have 3 lines(including the tallest line in NHL history in their third line) that can score, have decent depth on defence and 2 NHL quality goaltenders. So far after 3 games(2 wins and 1 OT loss) they have the best winning percentage in the very competitive Atlantic division. I wouldn't automatically rule them out of the playoffs even if they lost 3 top forwards(Vrana, Bertuzzi and Fabbri) to injury early in the season and the NHL player assistance program.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Even at a 50% reduction, he's still signed for four more seasons after this one. Those are his aged 33-37 seasons.

Seems like a ticking time bomb, but I guess a team feels he is the missing piece for a Cup run this season, maybe they take the risk?

Karlsson at 5,750,000 is worth the risk. Despite what a lot of people may think, he's still a good player. He's just nowhere near worth his current contract. In a move sheltered role with a good defensive partner, I think he'd do well even as he gets older.

It's also a lot easier for the team acquiring him to dump 5,750,000 or hell, buy out the last year. With San Jose having to east half the but out cost too, it wouldn't even be that bad.

Ledge And Dairy

The Redwings have 3 lines(including the tallest line in NHL history in their third line) that can score, have decent depth on defence and 2 NHL quality goaltenders. So far after 3 games(2 wins and 1 OT loss) they have the best winning percentage in the very competitive Atlantic division. I wouldn't automatically rule them out of the playoffs even if they lost 3 top forwards(Vrana, Bertuzzi and Fabbri) to injury early in the season and the NHL player assistance program.
They could very well push for a spot this year. Im not talking about this year though as 3 games is a joke of a sample size. The point is they've been rebuilding since 2016 and Montreal is only in year 1 of their rebuild

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Since emerge of Guhle, trade for Dach and Monahan. Montreal not that bad a team. About like Anaheim last year. Close to .500 this season. They also could add Bedard and Dubois next off season and trade for a Karlsson. Habs could be playoff bound in 2024.

With Bedard, Suzuki, Dach, Beck down the middle for next 15 years. That would be sick.

Ledge And Dairy

Since emerge of Guhle, trade for Dach and Monahan. Montreal not that bad a team. About like Anaheim last year. Close to .500 this season. They also could add Bedard and Dubois next off season and trade for a Karlsson. Habs could be playoff bound in 2024.

With Bedard, Suzuki, Dach, Beck down the middle for next 15 years. That would be sick.
Lol you can't have your cake and eat it too. How are you supposed to get Bedard as a .500 team? How are you assuming you are a .500 team off a 4 game sample size? Guhle's played 1 good game.

Pure fantasy land you live in

Reactions: Stewie Griffin

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles

He's already ticked and bombed. 4 more seasons of EK... I dont believe there are any teams actually interested. Most competing teams simply dont have the cap space even if SJ retains 50%. And the few teams that have the space, really, gonna spend it on EK at this stage in his career? Dont see it happening

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Lol you can't have your cake and eat it too. How are you supposed to get Bedard as a .500 team? How are you assuming you are a .500 team off a 4 game sample size? Guhle's played 1 good game.

Pure fantasy land you live in
Don't live in fantasy at all. Odds not great but Montreal lottery team. Bedard is one of many at top of this draft. Fantilli, Dvoraky, Carlsson, Gauthier, there are a number of high end centers available in this up coming draft.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
TBF half of the league makes the playoffs, so when the Shorks are 0-30-4 in a few weeks there'll probably be ~22ish teams he'd waive the NMC

We'll see in a couple months, but of the 16 teams that are going to make it, how many:

1. Have a need/role for him. Some playoff teams (if not most) have their defense setups already established.

2. Can accommodate him at 40-50%. Remember, it isn't just this season, it is future seasons as well.

3. Can get Karlsson to waive his NMC. I know it seems like any playoff team will be better, but taxes/lifestyle, etc.. can make some teams much less desirable. This isn't a one year rental. There could be multiple millions in extra taxes for someone with as much money at stake as Karlsson.

4. And are willing to give a return the Sharks will accept.

Ledge And Dairy

Don't live in fantasy at all. Odds not great but Montreal lottery team. Bedard is one of many at top of this draft. Fantilli, Dvoraky, Carlsson, Gauthier, there are a number of high end centers available in this up coming draft.
I'm not talking about the draft strength. I'm talking about your basis the team as of right now. They are 2-2, that's a 4 game sample size, that's not even enough wins for a playoff series yet. Tampa Bay is 1-3, do you consider Montreal better than Tampa all of a sudden?

Reality is that Montreal will probably end up a bottom 5 team in the league this year with less than 70 points. Sure they will play spoiler a few times like they did with Toronto and Pittsburgh but even Arizona beat the Avs twice last year. With that bottom 5 finish they will be placed again in the lottery and get a good to great prospect out of it. However, your idea of them finishing the in the playoffs next year means they will be going up 20-30 points in the standings in 1 offseason. You need to understand that it's not the quality of your young players that matter here but it is the rising and dropoff of the 7 division teams that are currently better than them. The league is full of parity right now meaning every team is good. For example, I personally think Jack Hughes could hit 90+ points this year, I don't however see their team finishing any higher than 20th

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I'm sure any trade made for EK will require retention and or contract(s) coming back

I'd be happy to discuss Merkley for Beck
No thanks. We have a bunch of prospects right shot defenseman. Mailloux, Barron, etc... Looking for now

I'm not talking about the draft strength. I'm talking about your basis the team as of right now. They are 2-2, that's a 4 game sample size, that's not even enough wins for a playoff series yet. Tampa Bay is 1-3, do you consider Montreal better than Tampa all of a sudden?

Reality is that Montreal will probably end up a bottom 5 team in the league this year with less than 70 points. Sure they will play spoiler a few times like they did with Toronto and Pittsburgh but even Arizona beat the Avs twice last year. With that bottom 5 finish they will be placed again in the lottery and get a good to great prospect out of it. However, your idea of them finishing the in the playoffs next year means they will be going up 20-30 points in the standings in 1 offseason. You need to understand that it's not the quality of your young players that matter here but it is the rising and dropoff of the 7 division teams that are currently better than them. The league is full of parity right now meaning every team is good. For example, I personally think Jack Hughes could hit 90+ points this year, I don't however see their team finishing any higher than 20th
For some reason Right shot defenseman are in hot demand around league. Habs could probably get overpayment for Savard now

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Karlsson at 50%? Not for my team but it might be okay
To me, the Oilers would be one of the more ideal candidates to take him on.

1. They are trying to contend immediately

2. They don't have a ton of movable assets (or cap space) they can let go of to acquire someone better (and thus more expensive).

3. They have matching salaries in Foegele and Barrie.

As long as a Foegele replacement cost 1M, it would be cap-neutral and a massive improvement on Barrie for the next two seasons. It could be a problem for year 3 and 4, but by then the cap is going to increase substantially and the Oilers cap-sheet cleans up a bit. His contract would be over the same time as McDavid need a new one. (Edit: nevermind, one year longer. )

Further, Edmonton hasn't been a great "draw" for free agents, even with McDavid, so they can't really expect to get a player of Karlsson's calibre in free agency.

Edit: The other team I think should take a run is the Panthers. Trying to contend immediately, have a hole in their roster at RHD, and they have salary to send back to San Jose (Bob). Also, they're short on futures, so getting a better player/situation might not be in the cards.

Last edited:

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
No thanks. We have a bunch of prospects right shot defenseman. Mailloux, Barron, etc... Looking for now

For some reason Right shot defenseman are in hot demand around league. Habs could probably get overpayment for Savard now
Those RD prospects PPQB types? Merkley will be back up to the Sharks roster sometime this season

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
To me, the Oilers would be one of the more ideal candidates to take him on.

1. They are trying to contend immediately

2. They don't have a ton of movable assets (or cap space) they can let go of to acquire someone better (and thus more expensive).

3. They have matching salaries in Foegele and Barrie.

As long as a Foegele replacement cost 1M, it would be cap-neutral and a massive improvement on Barrie for the next two seasons. It could be a problem for year 3 and 4, but by then the cap is going to increase substantially and the Oilers cap-sheet cleans up a bit. His contract would be over the same time as McDavid need a new one. (Edit: nevermind, one year longer. )

Further, Edmonton hasn't been a great "draw" for free agents, even with McDavid, so they can't really expect to get a player of Karlsson's calibre in free agency.

Edit: The other team I think should take a run is the Panthers. Trying to contend immediately, have a hole in their roster at RHD, and they have salary to send back to San Jose (Bob). Also, they're short on futures, so getting a better player/situation might not be in the cards.
I admit I don't hate the idea

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

If you’re planning on being a .500 team and winning the Bedard lottery I’ll just say you’re very likely to be very disappointed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad