Proposal: 2 Rangers trades that make sense.

scratchhayes*

Mar 24, 2016
Klein for Pouliot(Half retained) and a 2017 second

The Pouliot contract was awful from day one. Yet, I think he will bring a lot to the Rangers 4th line. Klein can give the Oilers a good vet on defense on a decent contract. He's much better than last year.

Koivu(half retained), Zucker, 2018 1st for Stepan.

Koivu is old but IMO the Rangers need a third center, faceoff guy and some leadership. Stepan is better than Zucker. Period. Wild get a good 1-2 punch at center and a very good player. Rangers get a two way winger which they need. Trade makes sense for both teams. Stepan as a MN boy comes home.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Koivu, Zucker and a 1st for Stepan LOL. Get real man.

Edit: didn't see the Wild are also retaining on half of Koivu's cap. Even WORSE!

Last edited:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
so you want a 58pt C, young 47 pt winger, and a 1st for your 55pt C?

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
so you want a 58pt C, young 47 pt winger, and a 1st for your 55pt C?

2/3 players from the Wild's shutdown/1st line. Simply ridiculous regardless of Koivu's age he's still producing. 2018 1st will not be moved either.

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013

The Pouliot contract was awful from day one. Yet, I think he will bring a lot to the Rangers 4th line. Klein can give the Oilers a good vet on defense on a decent contract. He's much better than last year.

Koivu is old but IMO the Rangers need a third center, faceoff guy and some leadership. Stepan is better than Zucker. Period. Wild get a good 1-2 punch at center and a very good player. Rangers get a two way winger which they need. Trade makes sense for both teams. Stepan as a MN boy comes home.

Oilers will give you a 3rd for Klein

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
This is like the third ridiculous trade thread Ive seen regarding Stepan.

Is this how Rangers fans see him being worth?

Zucker + 2nd is what i would expect.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny

this is just plain awful. Stepan is just plain not as good or equal to Koivu all things considered (efficacy wise, currently). And somehow we have to retain on Koivu, give you a first and Zucker. AND we still don't fix our ED problem. Boy, this is some real weird alternate reality ****. And TBH I think we're looking for some flexibility in contracts in the near future so having another $6m+ on the books for that long isn't all that appealing.

Please just attempt to justify a reason the Wild do this other than putting a really huge ridiculous premium on having a home-state guy on the team.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
ChiTown's Anisimov and Canucks Sutter are the men you are looking for.

Anisimov would be a good addition but he makes way too much as 3rd line center. Chicago would have to retain significant cap on any deal with the Rangers unless cap goes back and I think they have like $12.00 of cap room.

And Nyet to Pouliot.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Anisimov would be a good addition but he makes way too much as 3rd line center. Chicago would have to retain significant cap on any deal with the Rangers unless cap goes back and I think they have like $12.00 of cap room.

And Nyet to Pouliot.

Hawks next year are projected at - 3milion if the cap goes to 76 mil. They are likely moving anisimov for picks/prospects.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

If we add the retention amount to Klein cap hit this easily becomes brutal for Edmonton.

Doriva

May 6, 2015
Middlesbrough, UK
This is like the third ridiculous trade thread Ive seen regarding Stepan.

Is this how Rangers fans see him being worth?

Zucker + 2nd is what i would expect.

Not all of us. Some see him as an elite two way guy that we must hold onto, some see him as an asset we need to move for whatever cost before his clause kicks in and most fall in between.

If we move Stepan it has to be for a very solid RHD or for a younger center +. (similar to the Brass/Zib deal) We shoudn't be as desperate to move him as some would suggest but that doesn't mean it's not something we shouldn't be looking into. As for your counter-offer, I respect the value but we don't really have any need for more wingers.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
well at least he didn't try to sell us Stepan without taking one of our top two centers like i've seen a couple times last few weeks.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Stepan isn't worth nearly as much as you think he is. His cap hit is pretty high and he really is a second line centre on most contending teams. And too boot his faceoff percentage was 47% this year, good for 83rd in the league. Easy pass from the Wild.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
We were happy with Pouliot on the first 2 years of his contract, he produced at a good clip considering his PP time was limited and was solid on the forecheck, this year he just didn't come ready to play.

I'm figuring it will cost a 2nd round pick to get a budget team to pick up the two last years of Pouliots contract and that's with no retention. If we did do full retention on Pouliot right out the gate I could see a team being willing to pick him up for a bag of pucks. My suspicion is he gets complacent if he stays with any one team for too long.

Oilers also don't have our 2nd this year, Boston has it for us hiring a fired Chiarelli. Not that I'd be willing to pay the price you are asking for Klein.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA

Holly over value batman. That 2nd deal make no sense at all.... for The Wild. Boy do some on here way way way over value Stepan. He will never come home if that's the price. Take off those Blue homer glasses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad