GDT: 2/7/23 - 7:00PM EDT - San Jose vs Tampa Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
In all fairness, He was our worst faceoff guy today. Metrics show it too.

Not saying he played his best game(most on the team played like garbage after the 1st), but ppl on here turning him into some kind of scapegoat for the team's problems is pathetic. Probably just end up with a few more ppl on the ignore list, as things go much better around here without that noise.

Reactions: Pierre Larouche

Fan from AK

May 19, 2021
Alaska
Laughable how wrong you are. It's cool, please continue to show up when they lose and crickets when players like Cirelli dominate Bergeron and they win. Unfortunately for you I guess, you can watch Cirelli for the better part of the next decade in Tampa.
You have an opinion as do I Does it make it right to ridicule me? It's all cool though. Sorry for thinking the Bolts threw this game away playing like crap for over 40 minutes of the last minutes of the game.

Fan from AK

May 19, 2021
Alaska
Laughable how wrong you are. It's cool, please continue to show up when they lose and crickets when players like Cirelli dominate Bergeron and they win. Unfortunately for you I guess, you can watch Cirelli for the better part of the next decade in Tampa.
Where were you in June 7th 2004? I have my tickets to prove where I was.

Pierre Larouche

Jan 4, 2009
Yeah I don't know why he keeps playing him up it's not helping anyone. We finally had a solid 2nd line and he doesn't use it
Point is our hero.

Also, the offsides challenge is the worst rule in hockey.
It’s pretty fcuking awful- reminds me of the possibly over-curved stick check.

Lol at the Cirelli talk, he missed 25 games after coming back from shoulder surgery, how dare he not be having a career year. He brings far more than goal scoring, and Cooper isn't even deploying him properly most of the time. Don't worry though, you'll only have to deal with him another 6 or 7 years at least.
I agree.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Yeah cause we spend 6.25M on a center to play defense and produce as much as Maroon. Hopefully JBB wises up and uses him a trade bait before that contract kicks in.
I'm willing to excuse him through this year but I don't see what others see offensively. He's great defensively, duh. We have Point who is capable of playing a shutdown role, Stamkos as a legit 2C for probably at least another 3 years and Paul is good enough for top 6, a perfect fit for 3C... Cirelli is a luxury to have at the expense of not having another forward capable of playing wing with Stamkos.

He has the offensive IQ 90% of the time of a toddler. He plays a gritty game and absolutely kills plays when he's with Stamkos. At least Paul is a baller with finesse to his game. Much better in the top 6.

I'm not saying it's ideal to move him, but it's not necessarily a contract that I think is needed right now. Cirelli isn't a cornerstone you build around when Stamkos and Hedman bow out. He's a complimentary player and right now, his limited offensive capabilities hinder having a legit second scoring line. He's shown flashes of it and coming off an injury I'll be gracious but I'd like to see a rebound down the stretch and in the playoffs.

I like him, but he's essentially a 2.5C. Him on the 2nd doesn't make us stronger than having Paul there. Playing him on the third only bodes well with the right linemates and yeah, that's expensive for a 3C with Pat's production.

Reactions: Byrddog

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
"But he's coming off a shoulder injury", yes that's what the surgery and rehab time was for, looked like it was working when he started the season with 7 points in his first 7 games back guess it broke again the following 20 games.

He's not injured this is his normal level of play, he'll probably catch another hot run and get himself to the usual 35-45 point range which in this scoring environment is a 3rd line player.

We have 6 other players making ~8M plus next season, you gotta start trimming fat somewhere. All this talk about lack of depth scoring and we're poised to lose Killorn this season and no money to re-sign Hagel the following.

Last edited:

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
How do you blow a two goal lead against the f***ing Sharks after being completely embarrassed the night before.

Cirelli's extension maybe the worst of the bunch from last summer. He doesn't have the offense to be 2C and 6.25M is way too much for a 3C no matter how good you are defensively. If he buries one of his great chances last night we might win but he can't score if he isn't skating the puck into the net or if he can't swipe a free puck in from the goal line.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Not saying he played his best game(most on the team played like garbage after the 1st), but ppl on here turning him into some kind of scapegoat for the team's problems is pathetic. Probably just end up with a few more ppl on the ignore list, as things go much better around here without that noise.
He’s an easy pick for scapegoat though after signing that big contract. People compare him to other $6M players around the league. Look at the flak Killorn is getting and he’s on a $4.5M deal with much better offensive numbers.

#FreeNickPaul

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
He’s an easy pick for scapegoat though after signing that big contract. People compare him to other $6M players around the league. Look at the flak Killorn is getting and he’s on a $4.5M deal with much better offensive numbers.

#FreeNickPaul
Agree with your point around Killorn. The whole issue is Killorn merits his contract. Especially as you consider this will be his last big contract.

Before signing Cirelli to this 8 year deal consideration was not given to his ability to fulfill that contract value. We have no idea what’s going on in JBB’s long range plan but one of Cirelli, Cernak or Sergi has to be moved in the off season. Maybe there is a deal in place for one of them but required them being signed. Retaining all three does not look doable while filling the roster out.

LeafLoyalist

Oct 13, 2015
What a suprise

hes playing something. He has never been a big goal scorer. Had a couple close to 20. But now it’s mental for him and Coop is allowing it to hurt the team. It’s obvious he is struggling so Coop rewards him with 2C time and even PP time. This has not been the same team since Paul was moved down and Cirelli up. That’s on Coop. It has hamstrung Killorn and he had to move Stammer up to get him going again.

I can see all the love for Cirelli, especially Byrdog.
When he returned you guys looked like a different team, more consistent and the record shows. Do you realize that you are judging a player who has had major shoulder surgery, 5 month recovery, returning a third into the season when everyone else has had a work out off season, training camp, and 30 games on him. And judging him after all that on points, without a sniff of PP...shows how much some of you know your hockey. He's not just a mediocre defensive player, he is one of the elites, and having 40-50 points a season on top of that makes him a Top 6 anywhere in this league. But continue to judge him on 20+ games after surgery, and not getting PP and playing top PK mins and against other teams top offensive players, you will always be disappointed ...but when he gets his confidence back offensively, I'm sure you guys will find other things wrong. Comparing him on points just shows your immaturity and lack of hockey knowledge.
But of course one of the best coaches in hockey has NO CLUE of what he is doing playing him in the top 6...right!!

• Love

LeafLoyalist

Oct 13, 2015
In all fairness, He was our worst faceoff guy today. Metrics show it too.

Simply looking at a number in 1 game without context is weak.
Wow...a logical and intelligent response with context.

Agree with your point around Killorn. The whole issue is Killorn merits his contract. Especially as you consider this will be his last big contract.

Before signing Cirelli to this 8 year deal consideration was not given to his ability to fulfill that contract value. We have no idea what’s going on in JBB’s long range plan but one of Cirelli, Cernak or Sergi has to be moved in the off season. Maybe there is a deal in place for one of them but required them being signed. Retaining all three does not look doable while filling the roster out.

Cooper & JBB have to be the worst coach & GM in the league based on your posts. I wonder what you would think of them had they not won 2 stanley cups and been in 3 cup finals...damn terrible, not sure how they lasted this long

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Simply looking at a number in 1 game without context is weak.

Wow...a logical and intelligent response with context.

Cooper & JBB have to be the worst coach & GM in the league based on your posts. I wonder what you would think of them had they not won 2 stanley cups and been in 3 cup finals...damn terrible, not sure how they lasted this long
Saying he was bad 1 game doesn't mean he's bad. Its an observation of his performance in a certain aspect for that game. Is being critical of a player on a poor performance in a game something that doesn't happen in Leaf mentality?

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I can see all the love for Cirelli, especially Byrdog.
When he returned you guys looked like a different team, more consistent and the record shows. Do you realize that you are judging a player who has had major shoulder surgery, 5 month recovery, returning a third into the season when everyone else has had a work out off season, training camp, and 30 games on him. And judging him after all that on points, without a sniff of PP...shows how much some of you know your hockey. He's not just a mediocre defensive player, he is one of the elites, and having 40-50 points a season on top of that makes him a Top 6 anywhere in this league. But continue to judge him on 20+ games after surgery, and not getting PP and playing top PK mins and against other teams top offensive players, you will always be disappointed ...but when he gets his confidence back offensively, I'm sure you guys will find other things wrong. Comparing him on points just shows your immaturity and lack of hockey knowledge.
But of course one of the best coaches in hockey has NO CLUE of what he is doing playing him in the top 6...right!!
There's so much condescension here, I wonder how that would go if I walked into the Toronto forum and did the same. Calm down.

It has more to do with having Point, Stamkos and Paul that can play center already. So realistically he's either a pricey 3C or he's the 2C on a line where he neuters the offensive ability of Stamkos. It's not a good trio. Cirelli is another guy we depend on in the playoffs to actually score a goal, not just defend. We have enough of those. We need him to produce or the offense will dry up like previous runs and we will say "we have too many two way forwards," but then when we discuss moving the most expensive one, we have Leafs fans in here telling us it's a crazy idea.

Decisions have to be made and these discussions are warranted because his play doesn't look dramatically different. Check your condescension in leafs land or get the boot.

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
Just had a chance to watch Coops postgame. I am torn. I appreciate the fact that he can remain so even keeled but at the same time, after a game like that against a team like that, I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more pissed-offedness. Not because I think it will make a difference, just because I would find it more satisfying since it would reflect how I feel. Such is fandom.

As the old Kipling poem goes, “If you can keep your head when all about you others are losing theirs............" (you'll probably end up as two time Stanley Cup winning head coach!).

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.

#FreeNickPaul

I didn't say he wasn't overpaid, as I think he is 750k to 1 million over what I thought he'd get. I also agree that the Killorn-Paul-Stamkos line was working, and that for now, Cirelli should be with Colton and someone on that line. Too many just look at point totals for a 26 game stretch, especially given Cirelli's circumstances this season. He's not even making the 6.25 yet, and even high paid players have down stretches or even seasons, but it doesn't mean that's the kind of player Tampa's got with Cirelli. If he averages 45-50 points a year with his elite defensive play, his contract, while still being slightly overpaid, will be fine(especially with the cap rising soon enough).

LeafLoyalist

Oct 13, 2015
Saying he was bad 1 game doesn't mean he's bad. Its an observation of his performance in a certain aspect for that game. Is being critical of a player on a poor performance in a game something that doesn't happen in Leaf mentality?
Oh for sure it happens so much in Leaf land i have given up. I just find that certain players in this league, like Cirelli, who play a more defensive style which too many players aren't able to, get a bad rap and are easily attacked when team loses. Not trying to overstep here, trying to put things in perspective that a team's success is easily measured by goals, but what get's lost is the defensive impact a player brings to that success, not many hockey fans can see or chose to see....it's what great coaches and GM's do see.

LeafLoyalist

Oct 13, 2015
There's so much condescension here, I wonder how that would go if I walked into the Toronto forum and did the same. Calm down.

It has more to do with having Point, Stamkos and Paul that can play center already. So realistically he's either a pricey 3C or he's the 2C on a line where he neuters the offensive ability of Stamkos. It's not a good trio. Cirelli is another guy we depend on in the playoffs to actually score a goal, not just defend. We have enough of those. We need him to produce or the offense will dry up like previous runs and we will say "we have too many two way forwards," but then when we discuss moving the most expensive one, we have Leafs fans in here telling us it's a crazy idea.

Decisions have to be made and these discussions are warranted because his play doesn't look dramatically different. Check your condescension in leafs land or get the boot.

Hard view here that i'm being condescending. The fact that you won 2 cups with Cirelli as your 2C, and one run with a Stamkos-Cirelli-Killorn line tells me that it was successful...pure fact. Claiming that he isn;t that worth anymore after 5 months of rehab and getting a very late start into the season is actually condescending. No he hasn;t put up big offensive numbers in playoffs, but the numbers put up were pretty impactful, and his ability to defend top players nullifies the top guns giving his team a huge advantage, and less pressure on defensive guys to put up even larger numbers, adding an elite goalie seems like a perfect recipe for success......oh right, you guys won cups, and could have easily been a 3rd. You run again to offesnive numbers and depth scoring, he adds to the team by taking goals away, there are 2 ways to look at this. all i am saying. You say you have enough of those that defend, care to share, no team ever has enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad