GDT: 2/7/21 CAR Red Sweaters at CBJ Blue Jackets. Discuss.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
I don’t think you could hang either loss so far on either goaltender. I think in stretches of those games and also in some of the games they’ve won, their D zone coverage has been atrocious.

Now, the encouraging thing is that, even in the losses, they had chances to win or make it to OT. It’s just they played with fire too much and allowed the late, back-breaking go ahead goals, which led to the losses in Detroit and Chicago. I’ll take a 7-2 start though, any day.

I disagree, while James hasn't been awful he has not played like a 1A goalie. Just look at the Stars and Bokts games, the goalies we played against made stop they shouldn't have. James has yet to do that

Reactions: Tryamw

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I disagree, while James hasn't been awful he has not played like a 1A goalie. Just look at the Stars and Bokts games, the goalies we played against made stop they shouldn't have. James has yet to do that

Most of the time, though, we don't ask Reimer to be a 1A goalie. That's usually Mrazek. Reimer's an excellent 1B, which is what we normally need out of him.

Justshootmore

Mar 13, 2018
What is the reason that our D looked better without Slavin than with Slavin? (BTW, that's no hate on Slavin, he clearly is our best D)
  1. Are we playing the wrong pairings when Slavin is here? Then please change that.
  2. Is the system a different one? Then please play the other system
  3. Are they playing worse in front of Reimer for some reason? Then please give Ned a try.
  4. Anything else I am missing? I don't think CHI and CLB are more talented offensively than DAL and TBL.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Woof. Well that was a dumpster fire we didn’t deserve to win but obviously we’ll take it.

For at least one game the SlavinPesce was reunited and all was right with the world. That’s the only real positive I took from it. Cbus should play without a goalie all game tomorrow, they’ll be safe as kittens.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
What is the reason that our D looked better without Slavin than with Slavin? (BTW, that's no hate on Slavin, he clearly is our best D)
  1. Are we playing the wrong pairings when Slavin is here? Then please change that.
  3. Are they playing worse in front of Reimer for some reason? Then please give Ned a try.
  4. Anything else I am missing? I don't think CHI and CLB are more talented offensively than DAL and TBL.

I think the answer is just that Slavin’s been back for like 2 games and hasn’t looked good.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

I think the team just plays tighter /more aware when the big players are out. The team played insanely tight with Ayres and then Pesce out. Played really tight games against TB and Dallas, with 5 regulars out.

it’s weird.

Reactions: Tryamw

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Woof. Well that was a dumpster fire we didn’t deserve to win but obviously we’ll take it.

For at least one game the SlavinPesce was reunited and all was right with the world. That’s the only real positive I took from it. Cbus should play without a goalie all game tomorrow, they’ll be safe as kittens.

Im not sure anyone deserved to win that game. Columbus looked like a pee wee team trying to get out of their own end. It was embarrassing honestly.

And what is the deal with the 2nd period. The Cames must be outshooting their opponents 5/1 on the season. It’s insane.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Im not sure anyone deserved to win that game. Columbus looked like a pee wee team trying to get out of their own end. It was embarrassing honestly.

And what is the deal with the 2nd period. The Cames must be outshooting their opponents 5/1 on the season. It’s insane.

When it came to generating offense and good stretches of puck possession, the Canes 100% deserved that win. Some soft goaltending from Reimer tonight kept the game close, but the Canes deserved it IMO.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Do you really not follow other teams at all, or are you just trying to make a point? Not knowing a 3rd OA pick in a recent draft, who was drafted right after Laine and was in our own division seems odd to me.

I don't follow other teams at all- but I very much knew about Laine, and had heard of this other guy, but not aware of him.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Do you really not follow other teams at all, or are you just trying to make a point? Not knowing a 3rd OA pick in a recent draft, who was drafted right after Laine and was in our own division seems odd to me.
I was very into that 2016 draft, but aside being surprise picked at 3OA over Puljujarvi by Columbus Pierre Luc Dubois kind of disappeared to QMJHL while Matthews and Laine was doing their thing in the league and Pulju was being a sideshow in Edmonton in 2016-17. I know after his D+1 season he's been a ~50+ point player but Columbus generally has gone under the radar except for Torts' antics and the big names seeking to leave Ohio so it's not hard to have lost him in the shuffle.

I didn't lose the funny in Jarmo moving still a spot up in the 2016 Draft by the trade, though.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
So I missed that they took away that part of the PP in the third, and now I read on main boards the correct decision would have been to take the goal back :laugh:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I was very into that 2016 draft, but aside being surprise picked at 3OA over Puljujarvi by Columbus Pierre Luc Dubois kind of disappeared to QMJHL while Matthews and Laine was doing their thing in the league and Pulju was being a sideshow in Edmonton in 2016-17. I know after his D+1 season he's been a ~50+ point player but Columbus generally has gone under the radar except for Torts' antics and the big names seeking to leave Ohio so it's not hard to have lost him in the shuffle.

I didn't lose the funny in Jarmo moving still a spot up in the 2016 Draft by the trade, though.
Losing him in the shuffle is one thing. Not knowing him at all is the surprising part to me. Even if you don’t follow other teams, the Canes have played against him a dozen or so times the past 3 years.

it’s not a big deal though, just that I was surprised.

Reactions: Lempo

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Losing him in the shuffle is one thing. Not knowing him at all is the surprising part to me. Even if you don’t follow other teams, the Canes have played against him a dozen or so times the past 3 years.

it’s not a big deal though, just that I was surprised.
Lazy sucker was born in Quebec. WHY BOTHER REMEMBERING HIM.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
People are going to need to get used to sloppy wins and losses. Guys will be in and out of the lineup for covid and injuries. Teams will either play too many games in too short of a time period or too few when their or other teams have covid. It's going to be ugly a lot and you have to hope our talent wins out more often than not, which it has and should.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Here is the official word:

"Columbus requested a coach's challenge for off-side prior to a goal at 18:45 of the second period.
During the review, a miscommunication occurred between the Video Replay Booth in Columbus, the Linesmen and the Situation Room and play resumed before all replays could be reviewed to confirm the off-side. The challenge by Columbus should have resulted in the Carolina goal being disallowed. Subsequently, Columbus was assessed a delay of game penalty. After confirmation in the intermission that the play was off-side, the remaining 0:45 of the delay of game penalty issued was rescinded to begin the third period."

kind of sad to be honest

Last edited:

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I didn't watch every second of the game, but from what I saw, I thought we were the better team. There were some large pockets of time where Reimer didn't see any action, and his first shot against was tricky. These kind of games as I understand them are hard for goalies to play. That said, Reimer could have certainly saved 2 or 3 of them. As others have said, it doesn't matter in the end as we won.

Columbus had fits getting out of their zone for much of the game. Our forechecking was fantastic. I seem to remember Columbus not having this much trouble with our forechecking last season.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Here is the official word:

"Columbus requested a coach's challenge for off-side prior to a goal at 18:45 of the second period.
During the review, a miscommunication occurred between the Video Replay Booth in Columbus, the Linesmen and the Situation Room and play resumed before all replays could be reviewed to confirm the off-side. The challenge by Columbus should have resulted in the Carolina goal being disallowed. Subsequently, Columbus was assessed a delay of game penalty. After confirmation in the intermission that the play was off-side, the remaining 0:45 of the delay of game penalty issued was rescinded to begin the third period."

kind of sad to be honest

This is still idiotic. You have to just eat the call once you f*** it up. What if the Canes scored on the PP too before the period ended? Would they have admitted they f***ed up then? They took a massive screw yup, and they somehow made it worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad