Post-Game Talk: 2/25/17 | Sharks 4 @ Mumps 1

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
These old stiffs in suits are starting to get on my nerves with this whole toothless, bearded, tattooed banter.

Enough already.

Oats went as far as to say you don't expect something intelligent to come out of his mouth until he starts talking...

Yeah, that one rubbed me the wrong way too, but then I remembered this was a guy who was a bit neurotic as a coach - for example, forcing players to play on their *correct* wing (RH shots on the right wing, etc etc)

Oates is old school. Totally different mentality. Always blows my mind how many people, even today, who are just totally anti-ink, for example... how can that person be intelligent or capable at their job, right...?

Last edited:

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
He's had one poor season under Tortorella.

He's a guy that too often is asked to play above his pay grade and it shows with his play becoming inconsistent. He's a guy that plays very consistently at a steady 20 mins a night. There's ample proof of this. He's great at reading both ends of the ice and has a heavy shot, but takes a long time to set up. He's a solid hitter and clears the front of the crease reasonably well. His salary, for what he brings, is excellent.

At $5 mill a year I don't think so.

I'd say he is being asked to play like a $5 million d-man and he is not succeeding

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Given that he couldn't get a shot past a set of shin pads if his life depended on it, how do you give him more power play time?

Edler is good when he is not the point shot on the PP. He was great when we had Erhoff and Salo teeing up from the point. Problem
is with management not realizing that and not getting a guy who can shoot and thus forcing Edler jnto a role that he is not good at.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Edler's lack of production is entirely a function of getting fewer PP minutes. Nothing more nothing less.

Yes and no. His minutes are down, it's true but so are his PP pts/60 as well. It's both minutes and rate.

Of course the entire PP is garbage now so who knows how to pinpoint how much is actually Edler.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Given that he couldn't get a shot past a set of shin pads if his life depended on it, how do you give him more power play time?

I wouldn't.

But he's Exhibit A into how a poor offensive D can still look "good" if given enough PP minutes.

Tanev has outproduced Edler at even strength every season they've been in the league together, but Edler had this rep as an offensive D because he, until this year, received ungodly amounts of PP time.

This year people are frustrated with him because they still think of him as someone who should be getting shots on net and putting up points, but he's never been very good at this. He's a great player because he chews up 25 minutes and limits chances against. He is not an offensive player any more than Tanev is.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Yes and no. His minutes are down, it's true but so are his PP pts/60 as well. It's both minutes and rate.

Of course the entire PP is garbage now so who knows how to pinpoint how much is actually Edler.

It is an incredibly marginal difference. He is about 2 points off the rate he was at 2 seasons ago. Close enough to be meaningless.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Well he's at 75% of the minutes (2 instead of 3) and at 50% of the rate.

How is either "marginal"?

He has been roughly 6 points per 100 minutes throughout his career.

This year he has played around 100 minutes and has 4 points. He is 2 points off his rate. I would consider that marginal. You can consider that significant if you want.

Speaking in percentages does not mean much when the quantities are so small.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I wouldn't.

But he's Exhibit A into how a poor offensive D can still look "good" if given enough PP minutes.

Tanev has outproduced Edler at even strength every season they've been in the league together, but Edler had this rep as an offensive D because he, until this year, received ungodly amounts of PP time.

This year people are frustrated with him because they still think of him as someone who should be getting shots on net and putting up points, but he's never been very good at this. He's a great player because he chews up 25 minutes and limits chances against. He is not an offensive player any more than Tanev is.

Someone here did an analysis on Tanev and he is actually above average to elite when it comes to ES point production. So i don't see that as a point against Edler.
Problem with Tanev is that he has no shot whatsoever and he suvks on the PP because of that. He is no threat whatsoever and the other team don't even bother covering him because they know he won't shoot or don't care if he shoots. Give Tanev more minutes and his PP point production is not going to increase that much more.

Edler is not a point man, hence he struggles when we continue to try to make him one.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Heh ... this bit with Willie and Burrows at this Chinese bakery is great. Willie seems really nice. Wish he coached better at this level.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Was at the game, which was surprisingly fun and competitive until the end. Great hit by Labate, Biega had a ton of energy (and a few brain farts), and both Edler and Hutton were noticeably poor at times, likely primarily because they played so much in tough situations. Kind of sad probably seeing Hansen and Burrows for the last time live in Canucks unis, but then again who knows what will happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad