GDT: 2/21/17 - Wild vs. Blackhawks - 7PM CT / 3AM Suomi - FSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I'm fairly certain I could play better than Staal that game. Sad. Also, hate hate hate the Scandella-Dumba pairing. Hasn't worked in a long time. Brodin-Dumba was working just fine before Brodin was injured.

WildisLaw

The curse is real
Jan 19, 2010
Cali
But hey, we didn't play well and almost tied the game. The flukey Toews goal ends up being the difference, one more bounce than we got. No doubt in my mind we will go at least 6 games with them in the playoffs but I expect us to come out on top this time around.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Sigh... Stand around for 55 minutes, try to pull out the 5-minute heroics again. Did ****ing Yeo come back to coach this game?

Nothing more frustrating than watching a bunch of guys literally staring at the puck for like 2-3s before deciding to move toward it. So many lazy ***** already thinking about vacation.

55 minutes? I think you're rounding up from 15.

It is Wild World

Dec 28, 2016
Somalia
But hey, we didn't play well and almost tied the game. The flukey Toews goal ends up being the difference, one more bounce than we got. No doubt in my mind we will go at least 6 games with them in the playoffs but I expect us to come out on top this time around.

If Toews plays like he did tonight, they are hard to beat

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sucks to lose but I don't feel any different about our team than I did before the game.

I'm with you. Nino played well, but Staal and Coyle just aren't showing up. Those two have to be better! I thought Schroeder showed some jump tonight, but Stewart was a possession killer.

It seemed like our forecheckers gave up the neutral zone too easily for large parts of the game, allowing CHI to gain the zone easily. It was an effort thing.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm fairly certain I could play better than Staal that game. Sad. Also, hate hate hate the Scandella-Dumba pairing. Hasn't worked in a long time. Brodin-Dumba was working just fine before Brodin was injured.

I always thought Dumba Brodin was a cursed pairing also. On paper, it should work, but seldom does on the ice.

Olofsson was good for the most part.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Dumba brings down every pairing he is in defensively. It is not a coincidence that Scandella's and Brodin's play became a lot more inconsistent when Spurgeon was moved up to the first pairing and Dumba made the team.

Brodin-Folin was a good pairing that I really liked.

I wonder if Scandella-Olofsson could be a pairing.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Dumba brings down every pairing he is in defensively. It is not a coincidence that Scandella's and Brodin's play became a lot more inconsistent when Spurgeon was moved up to the first pairing and Dumba made the team.

No RD

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
that game was a measuring stick & the hawks proved they are the best in the west. their high end talent shined. hawks beat us not once but twice on home ice. im disappointed is the most polite thing i can say on this msg board.

ClayAikenFan77

Jan 1, 2016
Minneapolis
^ Talk about an over reaction... They beat us once in OT on a 4-on-3 power play in a game where we outplayed them. This is the first team we have gotten worked by the Hawks in a long time and we still probably should've went to OT.

Can't get too high and can't get too low, we'll be just fine.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
that game was a measuring stick & the hawks proved they are the best in the west. their high end talent shined. hawks beat us not once but twice on home ice. im disappointed is the most polite thing i can say on this msg board.

I wasn't paying super close attention, as I was watching at a bar, but to me it looked like one team having an off night, and the other playing well. It happens.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota

I sure hope every player in that locker room sees what teams coming out of the bye are looking like before they plan their bye week vacations. Hopefully they use the bye week for more rest than relaxation.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Toews put on a clinic. I hope that brings them down to reality again.

One thing I would say to those on the ledge (and there apparently were quite a few on KFAN whine line last night after the game): This is the first time in close to a decade the team will make the playoffs and not need to go on some unbelievable tear through March-April just to squeak in. Even if they lost every single game from here on out, they most likely would STILL get into the playoffs.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

I liked Brodin Folin too. Folin's lack of puck handling talent forced Brodin to be more assertive with the puck, and Folin's physicality along the wall and in front of the net was handy with bigger forwards. They never got to the point where Foiln was using that heavy shot from the point as much as I would like.
Brodin's skating talent made up for Folin's lack of talent in that area. Overall, a trustworthy pairing, considering their combined cost.

Brodin's ability to play both sides is really handy.

I've commented enough about Dumba. My opinion hasn't changed.

I keep expecting the real Scandella to show up, the one who plays solid D and adds some offense. He did get an assist last night, but in general I find myself holding my breath when he and Dumba are out there, when he should be the experienced Dman who is holding it together at the back end. I'm not seeing that steadiness.

This is really knee jerk, but if things don't change I can see a scenario where both Dumba and Scandella are moved for ED exempt assets. Keep Folin( signed for a reasonable amount), Olofsson, Brodin, Reilly, and look for a Dman in FA or trade. Maybe sign Prosser for one more year as a backup.

We can't be holding our breath when our top4 Dmen are out there. Dumba and Scandella have to improve. Scandella is getting paid like a top 4 and isn't a kid anymore. He doesn't have any excuses. Dumba has youth as an excuse, offensive upside, and at 2.5M/ year can be kept around at least for another year in normal circumstances, but the ED has changed all that. Rather than have him go for nothing to LV, Wild should look into moving him. Move him first, then Scandella if you can, before the ED. Make them take a Haula or Staal...can't see leaving Zucker exposed. Losing Staal would hurt, but I'm not at all convinced that LV wouldn't go for Haula.

This can all change if one or both of the D in question gets their act together in tha last couple of months of the season/playoffs. I really hope that happens, and that we are back to the dilemma of who to expose at the ED. Right now, it's no dilemma at all, with the way Staal, Scandella, and Dumba are playing.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

I sure hope every player in that locker room sees what teams coming out of the bye are looking like before they plan their bye week vacations. Hopefully they use the bye week for more rest than relaxation.

Carly Zucker posted on Twitter they are going to Disney World.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Break the bank for Faulk and move both Dumba+Scandella for F prospects? I'm only being partially sarcastic here.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Which means ZERO rest & relaxation for Zucker. So. Many. People. :laugh:

Right. I couldn't even imagine how terrible that would be :laugh:

Break the bank for Faulk and move both Dumba+Scandella for F prospects? I'm only being partially sarcastic here.

Well if our Russian prospect is going to the rich team in the KHL, would you gamble on him not wanting to come to the NHL and trade his rights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad