GDT: 2/21/17 - Wild vs. Blackhawks - 7PM CT / 3AM Suomi - FSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I care more about pounding the Hawks in the playoffs than actually winning a Cup. God, if we won the Cup this year, but didn't go through Kane & Co., those nuevo-entitled folks in Chicago would still go on acting like they were the better team.

I just want to beat them head-to-head so badly. Yes, for myself as a fan, but also for the guys on the Wild.

Hopefully, this game will give them a real sense of focus and light a fire under their ***** for the rest of the year.

Last edited:

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
I care more about pound Hawks in the playoffs than actually winning a Cup. God, if we won the Cup this year, but didn't go through Kane & Co., those nuevo-entitled folks in Chicago would still go on acting like they were the better team.

I just want to beat them head-to-head so badly. Yes, for myself as a fan, but also for the guys on the Wild.

Hopefully, this game will give them a real sense of focus and light a fire under their ***** for the rest of the year.

100% agreed. Roll through them and Anaheim in the playoffs and winning a cup would be a damned dream come true.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I care more about pound Hawks in the playoffs than actually winning a Cup. God, if we won the Cup this year, but didn't go through Kane & Co., those nuevo-entitled folks in Chicago would still go on acting like they were the better team.

You are 100% right on that one too. And I think STL could give them a good run for their money.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Protect 3 after the above Faulk trade:

Suter, Spurgeon, Brodin, Faulk

Suter, Brodin and Faulk.

Not that I don't like Spurgeon nor do I think he is a waste. I just don't think Vegas takes a D from the Wild. And if they tried, I honestly believe Fletcher will throw them the picks and prospects to mitigate them taking him.

WildisLaw

The curse is real
Jan 19, 2010
Cali
that game was a measuring stick & the hawks proved they are the best in the west. their high end talent shined. hawks beat us not once but twice on home ice. im disappointed is the most polite thing i can say on this msg board.

I think you're going overboard. Sure we're all dissapointed. We all expected this team be ready for this game. They looked slow and sloppy until they went into roar back mode at the end of the third. One guy had the game of his life. He won't score 5 points against us in a game again, it was a fluke. Its only happened 3 times ever now in franchise history. We are 1-1-1 vs them on the season. If anything, the measuring stick says these teams are as evenly matched as two teams could be. This team doesn't scare us anymore. They have a bunch of new players who aren't as good as what they had for their cup runs. Obviously we could have made anyone look good last night the way we played. We played horrible for most of the game. We had plenty of chances to score more goals than we did, just didn't get the bounces. We will prove we are the better team in the playoffs.

Ceiu

Oct 31, 2011
55 minutes? I think you're rounding up from 15.

Yeah. That's how rounding time works. :P

Seriously though, I shouldn't be reacting quicker to game situations and have enough time left over to also yell "move your feet" or "get the puck" at my TV before the players actually react. There was a ton of that going on and it cost us the game.

Also, as I said earlier on the thread, I believe the forwards are trying to do too much on their own, lately. You could see a massive shift in offensive pressure when the defense started getting involved in the play. Some of that was likely last-minute desperation, but we've seen the defense jump in throughout the season, and when they do, we've seen them dominate games. Need to get back to doing more of that and less of the passive garbage we saw last night -- especially against skill teams like the Hawks.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Overreactions for one game are always nice. Especially when 1/3rd of our defense was playing their first and second games back from injury. Losing happen.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I thought I had seen it all until you all suggested that Faulk would be worth losing Scandella AND Dumba for, AND THEN protecting him over Nino, Coyle, Zucker, Staal, etc.

Y'all realize we could just keep Dumba and it would be pretty close to the same thing, right?

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
if you accept losing happens you end up like the blues or sharks always a bridesmaid , never a bride! a poster on another msg board always said "NO EXCUSES" theres something to be said for that.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
if you accept losing happens you end up like the blues or sharks always a bridesmaid , never a bride! a poster on another msg board always said "NO EXCUSES" theres something to be said for that.

You're right, must go 82-0-0. Totally realistic.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
You're right, must go 82-0-0. Totally realistic.

They are clearly going to lose games, I don't think that was totally what he was going for on that comment. However, losing games because of lackluster play is a bit of a downer, no? They are sure to have down days obviously. But that was a pretty brutal game. Every time they scored they gave up a goal 30 seconds later.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
They are clearly going to lose games, I don't think that was totally what he was going for on that comment. However, losing games because of lackluster play is a bit of a downer, no? They are sure to have down days obviously. But that was a pretty brutal game. Every time they scored they gave up a goal 30 seconds later.

You're right and there are ways to fix the problem without making trades that will hurt this team. For instance, Scandella has been garbage for awhile now. Play him with the guy he played his best hockey with (Spurgeon). Dumba is below average defensively. Play him with the superb defensive dmen we have (Suter or Brodin).

Suter(27)-Dumba(18)
Scandella(18)-Spurgeon(22)
Olofsson(15)-Brodin(20)

More minutes to guys that play well.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
You're right and there are ways to fix the problem without making trades that will hurt this team. For instance, Scandella has been garbage for awhile now. Play him with the guy he played his best hockey with (Spurgeon). Dumba is below average defensively. Play him with the superb defensive dmen we have (Suter or Brodin).

Suter(27)-Dumba(18)
Scandella(18)-Spurgeon(22)
Olofsson(15)-Brodin(20)

More minutes to guys that play well.
I like these pairings.

I would advocate getting Brodin-Folin back together though. That was a very balanced pairing for a while. And Folin does have more NHL experience.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Pat Micheletti was on KFAN yesterday and he brought up a good point about the problem with putting Suter with Dumba. Yes, it absolutely helps balance out Dumba's defensive errors, but Suter is currently playing the hard minutes against the top lines and I'm not sure you'd be able to do the same thing with a Suter-Dumba pairing. Suter can probably cover for Dumba's defensive lapses, but I think Suter works much more effectively when he's paired with a guy like Spurgeon who can be trusted to be responsible on both ends of the ice. I just don't think the benefits of what that kind of pairing move does for Scandella/Dumba outweighs the downside of what it does for Suter/Spurgeon.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Pat Micheletti was on KFAN yesterday and he brought up a good point about the problem with putting Suter with Dumba. Yes, it absolutely helps balance out Dumba's defensive errors, but Suter is currently playing the hard minutes against the top lines and I'm not sure you'd be able to do the same thing with a Suter-Dumba pairing. Suter can probably cover for Dumba's defensive lapses, but I think Suter works much more effectively when he's paired with a guy like Spurgeon who can be trusted to be responsible on both ends of the ice. I just don't think the benefits of what that kind of pairing move does for Scandella/Dumba outweighs the downside of what it does for Suter/Spurgeon.
That is a legit concern. BB (and Yeo) use Suter-Spurgeon as the shut-down pairing for the top lines of the other teams.

However, I would argue that the teams we face in the playoffs have more than 1 good line, and we aren't doing ourselves any favors by putting all our eggs in one basket.

That was the nice thing about Suter-Brodin and Scandella-Spurgeon. We had at least 2 pairings that we could use against pretty much any line in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad