Post-Game Talk: 2/14/18 | Panthers 4 @ Canucks 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Markstrom is so God damned lucky that this wasn't the performance he turned in immediately after his little rant. Thats legacy **** right there. It would probably be one of the first things we remember about him years after he is done here.

Seriously impeccable timing with that shut out.
You could read that rant coming from his body language after the fourth goal. He was clearly casting the blame right then and there. He is not made of the sternest stuff, that's for sure.

Reactions: Eddy Punch Clock

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
IMac is always drinking the koolaid on the game telecasts though. The next time we fail to receive management spin from that guy will be the first. I just know that it seemed to devolve into an interminable discussion of the merits of Gillis mid thread.

I would just characterize it as a successful game day thread derailment and move on. I personally look to these GDT as an oasis where I don't have to play the binary point/counterpoint game, so, it was disappointing to me.

Understood, and there's nothing wrong with having that mindset. It's unfortunate IMac was interviewed at all. You just knew he had some gears to grind. Benning was just re-signed and IMac has been ridiculed mercilessly for being a company shill. He wears it now with pride. So you could tell he was eager to shoot back at his detractors (mainly CA, Botchford and Paterson).

Something else made that discussion continue on though. Anyways, it's been noted and we can now move on.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
You asked a question (publicly) that no one cared about. No one even voiced a concern about, until you propped up that strawman. Until that time, people were referring to IMac's interview, specifically, where he was pointing to Gillis' failure at the draft as the _reason_ for the current product. Big, big difference between that statement and what you put forth. That's why your post was recognized as the straw man that it was, and multiple posters chose to contest it.

It's not spin. It's not anything other than critiquing poor logic for being poor.

It's too bad we have to hear IMac during games, and that's why it gets brought up in this GDT, but his topic should have been dismissed outright. One critique and done. Yet, here we are...

it wasn't a straw man, I even backed up why I said it. I think this has more to do with what I said in another thread about people getting chased off the forums. You made this into a big deal, when it really wasn't. You thought you could teach me a lesson here or something, but really you just confirmed what I thought in the first place.

If you read what that poster posted he made it sound like he thought none of the issues with the team should be on Gillis, that's why I asked the question. There was logic behind it, you just didn't like it.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
We need new Swedes
33 to put1 twins and eriksson on the 4th lineß
Did you hear that it's the best team in 4 years?

Can't wait for the next couple!
Yeah i cant wait for Jimbo to resign the twins for 4 more years,,resigning Guddy for 5 years with a ntc,,and more loui erikssons on this team,,,im so pumped for another 3 years of utter stupidity.

Verbalyst

Jan 9, 2007
Buffalo, NY
When Gillis came in the core was already intact and entering their primes. He was good at courting free agents and thats about it. This organization hasnt had a rebuild in like ever. Its time to do so. Pittsburgh was a joke not to long ago. Chicago was irrelevant. The L.A Kings struggled. All these teams had multiple years drafting in the top 5. In todays NHL you have to suffer and build through the draft.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Remember when I feared Florida as a tank rival. Not no more.

Good

Boeser - obviously scored two goals. And just as obviously the best player on the team

Nilsson - played real well. This could have been very ugly.

Virtanen - seems to be improving. Looks faster and really getting on opponents quickly and forcing the play. Have to have more optimism that he can be a player.

Bad

Vanek - game was too fast for him. OK around the Florida net but elsewhere not. Poor in transition and plodding in his own end.

Gudbranson - gave up chances all game. Bailed out by Nilsson after a terrible first period. Benning intent on getting this player back is proof enough that Benning should never have been extended

Sutter - no show again

Very Bad

Markstrom - unfortunate to some extent but brutal on a couple of goals. Looked like zombie on the bench and, at times, played like one.

Sedins - just amazing that they always play so much alike. When they are good, both look good. When they are bad, they both look bad. You have to wonder what kind of chemistry can make them so identical in play. So rare when you can say one played well and the other didn't or visa versa. Tonight both were miserable. Contemplation of retirement might be more in order following play in this one.

Others

Boucher - like the way he moved the puck. Good at finding the open man.

Archibald - not as good in this game. Speed of Panther forwards gave him trouble and he ended up chasing the play somewhat.

Reactions: FacepalmBenning

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Cant wrap my head around some of Green's decisions tonight.

Hutton and Del Zotto were the 2 best Dmen not named Edler yet played less minutes then the rest. Pouliot accomplishes next to nothing yet bleeds odd man situations. Gudbranson was awful tonight and Stecher was struggling mightily as well.

Between the struggles by our defense, junk goaltending by Markstrom again and the pathetic back checking of a bunch of our forwards we are an incredibly easy team to play against.

The Sedin's 6 minutes of PP time were inept again and 5v5 was dismal.

Horvat Sutter Eriksson Edler Del Zotto Hutton Baertschi Boeser Virtanen i thought looked like they were good or at least in the fight.

Archibald Vanek Pouliot Sedins Dowd Gudbranson Stecher Boucher Markstrom looked like players barely hanging on or just plainly bad.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
33 to put1 twins and eriksson on the 4th lineß

Yeah i cant wait for Jimbo to resign the twins for 4 more years,,resigning Guddy for 5 years with a ntc,,and more loui erikssons on this team,,,im so pumped for another 3 years of utter stupidity.

I don't think he has the power or authority to do that. :sarcasm:

Speaking of more Erikssons and UFA blunders... did you catch the part in the media scrum today where Linden was praising the leadership skills of Del Zotto and Gagner? Singled them both out in one sentence... it was such obvious damage control.

It's nice to have an eye to spot real gud locker room dudes... but they also have to be able to play hockey.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
it wasn't a straw man, I even backed up why I said it. I think this has more to do with what I said in another thread about people getting chased off the forums. You made this into a big deal, when it really wasn't. You thought you could teach me a lesson here or something, but really you just confirmed what I thought in the first place.

If you read what that poster posted he made it sound like he thought none of the issues with the team should be on Gillis, that's why I asked the question. There was logic behind it, you just didn't like it.

Show me in the post below where Sayonara77 says or intimates that _none_ of the issues with the team should be on Gillis?

Sayonara77 said:
It's truly truly disgusting and horrific that one of the best GMS the team ever had is being criticized/blamed for the team's incompetence, even after 4 years away from the organization. Poor guy.

Further, explain how 'blamed for the team's incompetence' and 'Gillis did some things wrong during his tenure' are the same thing. Show me the logic behind it.

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
So Boeser had two goals? Tsn says one pal

Luongos Knob

PDO Kings
Jan 20, 2009
You should have experienced life as a Canucks fan in the 70s and 80s. At one point in the late 80s we had become the losingest franchise across the four major sports leagues.
Thats funny cause last time we were this bad for 3 consecutive years was the 80s (or even 70s)

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
So Boeser had two goals? Tsn says one pal
Pretty sure the poster realizes that based on the tone of the comment. Boeser was credited with one goal - the 3rd goal. He very likely got his stick on the first goal before it went in - looks like it on the replay. There might be a clearer angle and the score sheet may get revised. But, since it hasn't been changed yet, I wouldn't hold my breadth.

Nov 1, 2011
3x face value?

If I was an investment advisor then I'd say buy buy buy

It's a sure thing

It's an interesting theory.

Fact is that the 2010 Gold Medal game and game 7 SCF tickets didn't go for 3x face value in the club seats.

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
Good night for the tank, Boeser scores 1-2 goals and we lost

Still trying to figure out how the refs f'ed up the 4 minute call, would have given Boeser more quality time to score and also the interference call on Del Zotto was bush league.. again took 2 minutes of ice time away from Boeser

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Welcome back to the goalie graveyard, we’ve avoided it for a long while.

Thatcher, just be like Ginger Bricks but better, okay?

(actually this game was not terrible because bo scored to keep my jersey legacy. Then Boeser scored with a f***ed up wrist and nothing really matters)

2011 still hurts

imagine posting on a hockey forum
Feb 10, 2016
Source ? Would love to genuinely see that report

Because it just sounds like your saying any good picks are bracket and any bad picks are benning.

Regardless! Today is a good day
Just google tweets of ownership/GM influence in 2014

Brackett is the reason for Boeser btw, Brackett was a Gillis hire

Reactions: Son of a Dawson

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Show me in the post below where Sayonara77 says or intimates that _none_ of the issues with the team should be on Gillis?

Further, explain how 'blamed for the team's incompetence' and 'Gillis did some things wrong during his tenure' are the same thing. Show me the logic behind it.

I quoted his post. Maybe I misread what he meant? I certainly didn't have any intent like you are trying to imply. You know, if you thought something a long the lines like that why not nip it in the bud back then? I never meant it to become a huge argument. I question why this became YOUR hot bed issue.

BC Ben

Mar 26, 2010
True North
Dayum... I never understood the Loui signing and went through the Stages of Hockey Grief, but can't seem to get past Stage 3 (anger) and often revert back to Stage 1 (shock and denial). Ugh, just writing about him makes me Stage 3 Angry!

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
So Brackett gets the credit for Boeser and Benning gets blamed for Virtanen and Juolevi? :laugh:

It has been documented numerous times that Brackett and the scout from the Minnesota region were pushing hard for Boeser prior to the 2015 draft.

Regarding Virtanen that would be on the entire staff. Brackett included.

As for Juolevi well Benning was gushing as early as the world juniors. He compared him to Nik Lidstrom for christs sake!! Guy was showing the entire NHL his cards, kept mentioning his name and well wasn't exactly a shock when he was taken over Tkchuck in 2016. Clearly was a Benning favorite.

He also telecast the teams intention to pick Pettersson at the 2017 draft. He pointed him out in the stands and repeated his name over and over with GMs standing within an arms reach away. Reason McPhee pulled out of deal to swap the 5th and 6th picks.

Benning is a simpleton and will therefore be blamed for mistakes more often than not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad