GDT: 2/10/17 - Wild vs. Lightning - 7PM CT / 3AM Suomi - NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Olofsson plays Left side...

I meant Scandella. And I meant as go to guy as far as TOI is concerned once Brodin comes back. I realize there is a handedness issue. Dumba will still get his PP minutes.

Olofsson simply didn't make an ass out of himself, which is a good thing. Would like to see more of him.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I meant Scandella. And I meant as go to guy as far as TOI is concerned once Brodin comes back. I realize there is a handedness issue. Dumba will still get his PP minutes.

Olofsson simply didn't make an ass out of himself, which is a good thing. Would like to see more of him.

Dumba is having a solid year. The games that he plays more minutes, he actually looks better in. I'd be shocked if Scandella suddenly started passing him up as the #4 in ice time after Brodin is back.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Dumba is having a solid year. The games that he plays more minutes, he actually looks better in. I'd be shocked if Scandella suddenly started passing him up as the #4 in ice time after Brodin is back.

Well, we certainly see things differently. Dumba makes some great plays, but the last word I would use to describe him is solid.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
He single handily shut down Kuch on a few different plays, knocked him down and muscled him. To me, that is very solid. Kucherov is their best player.

The problem is, when you make good plays defensively, they don't get noticed much, you make a mistake, and everyone and their mother notices.

It's why Suter is so underrated - he's an elite defender, but much of what he does goes almost unnoticed to someone not actually watching for it. We've seen Suter so much that we can't HELP but notice, and that's why we recognize he's likely the single best skater we have on the team, but it goes back to my point... Dumba gets noticed for a mistake, then he may not make a mistake for quite some time, and even make some real good defensive plays, but people generally only remember that one mistake and they can't let it go.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The problem is, when you make good plays defensively, they don't get noticed much, you make a mistake, and everyone and their mother notices.

It's why Suter is so underrated - he's an elite defender, but much of what he does goes almost unnoticed to someone not actually watching for it. We've seen Suter so much that we can't HELP but notice, and that's why we recognize he's likely the single best skater we have on the team, but it goes back to my point... Dumba gets noticed for a mistake, then he may not make a mistake for quite some time, and even make some real good defensive plays, but people generally only remember that one mistake and they can't let it go.

I don't think you can call Dumba anything but average, at worst, defensively at this point. He simply doesn't have near the volume of mistakes he had when he first came into the league. That alone should indicate he should continue getting better. He'll never be Brodin level defensively, but Brodin will never be his level offensively. Yes part of the game is keeping pucks out of your net, but the game is still primarily about outscoring your opponent.

Offense can fail on any given night, and even if your defense is good, you can still take an L. If your offense is firing on all cylinders, and your defense is average, you're more than likely to win.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I don't think you can call Dumba anything but average, at worst, defensively at this point. He simply doesn't have near the volume of mistakes he had when he first came into the league. That alone should indicate he should continue getting better. He'll never be Brodin level defensively, but Brodin will never be his level offensively. Yes part of the game is keeping pucks out of your net, but the game is still primarily about outscoring your opponent.

Offense can fail on any given night, and even if your defense is good, you can still take an L. If your offense is firing on all cylinders, and your defense is average, you're more than likely to win.

Agree, but people talk like he's some insanely bad liability when he's actually not.

Thus I go back to my original comment... Dumba is having a solid season this year.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Dumba still constantly turns simple and safe plays into something with a risk for no real reward in sight. He's been able to cut back a little bit but it's still his biggest issue by far.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Olofsson impressed me tonight. He's a better puck handler than I he would be. His zone exits were cleaner than Prosser's. His overall game seems more polished than Reilly's. Most of his plays were smart and safe last night.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Love when Scandella jumps into the play using his speed and strength. He's done it twice these past couple games. Grade A chances each time.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Olofsson impressed me tonight. He's a better puck handler than I he would be. His zone exits were cleaner than Prosser's. His overall game seems more polished than Reilly's. Most of his plays were smart and safe last night.

He impressed me as well. The learning curve doesn't seem quite as steep for him.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

He impressed me as well. The learning curve doesn't seem quite as steep for him.

Definitely want to see more of him. Wonder if plays the right side as well?

Eye Floater

Feb 3, 2009
USA

I agree. He's looked great and plays a very solid game all around.

For future call-ups, there really is no reason Reilly should be brought up instead of Olofsson. Olofsson is just flat out better and is a better fit on our team.

If we lose Scandella to the expansion draft I think Olofsson would be ready for a full time role next year.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
Couple observations from the game...

1. Scandella has looked better the last few games and had a solid game last night. Like to see him stepping up and driving the offense with his neutral zone rushes.
2. Olfosson looked good and should be given a few more games at a minimum. Like someone else said he will be good to have next year if Scandella gets picked. Very similar in the defensive zone.
3. Coyle/Staal are two guys who need to pick it up. Pretty underwhelming game for both on the offensive side of the puck.
4. #11 seems like he's back so that's pretty neat.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Couple observations from the game...

1. Scandella has looked better the last few games and had a solid game last night. Like to see him stepping up and driving the offense with his neutral zone rushes.
2. Olfosson looked good and should be given a few more games at a minimum. Like someone else said he will be good to have next year if Scandella gets picked. Very similar in the defensive zone.
3. Coyle/Staal are two guys who need to pick it up. Pretty underwhelming game for both on the offensive side of the puck.
4. #11 seems like he's back so that's pretty neat.

Very much agree on all four. :thumbu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad