Post-Game Talk: 2-1 OT Win ... Still alive!

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Great play by Magic Mitch
Magic Mitch? Marner wasn't even on the ice!

That was Willy embarrassing one Bruin and pulling two more to him before making the tape-to-tape pass.

I'm not convinced that Mitch is a better passer than Willy. Mitch makes risky passes, and when they work they're beautiful, but a lot of them don't click. I think some people forget those and only see the ones that work (others focus on the ones that don't). Willy on the other hand doesn't go for the risky passes as much, but makes a lot of really good ones. For example the one in the video - not a high risk pass, but could easily have been a goal.

I'd be interested in seeing a stat on passes attempted and completed.

Reactions: arso40

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Magic Mitch? Marner wasn't even on the ice!

That was Willy embarrassing one Bruin and pulling two more to him before making the tape-to-tape pass.

I'm not convinced that Mitch is a better passer than Willy. Mitch makes risky passes, and when they work they're beautiful, but a lot of them don't click. I think some people forget those and only see the ones that work (others focus on the ones that don't). Willy on the other hand doesn't go for the risky passes as much, but makes a lot of really good ones. For example the one in the video - not a high risk pass, but could easily have been a goal.

Absent that you might want to check a highly correlated assists stat. Here to help

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Absent that you might want to check a highly correlated assists stat. Here to help
I'm not sure what you mean.

Absent?

There wasn't a goal scored on the play, so how would an "assists stat" help?

Or are you suggesting that the number of assists has a direct correlation with the percentage of passes completed?

• Haha

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
love having Woll gliding around back there playing the puck and releasing dmen for easy exits instead of covering everything up for faceoffs

Having a puck moving goalie is such an asset. The NHL putting those stupid trapezoids behind the red line was an asinine idea.

Reactions: ToneDog

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018

Absent?

Or are you suggesting that the number of assists has a direct correlation with the percentage of passes completed?
You need game data for one game to determine whether Mitch is a better passer than Willy?

Reactions: therealkoho

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Having a puck moving goalie is such an asset. The NHL putting those stupid trapezoids behind the red line was an asinine idea.
Yeah, it is like the NHL making the nets smaller because Matty is such a better goal scorer than the next guy (regular season of course).

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
You need game data for one game to determine whether Mitch is a better passer than Willy?
I guess that just shows how confusing your post was.

I wasn't talking about one game data to look at who is the better passer.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
I guess that just shows how confusing your post was.

I wasn't talking about one game data to look at who is the better passer.
The confusion isnt mine.
you said:

I said use assist statistics to aid in your investigation.

Seems pretty clear until you said:

You made a statement, that you aren't convinced Mitch is a better passer than Willy and seem to narrow to a limited sample when there are literally years of data to make the connection through an assists count.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
The constructive criticism that took place between Willy, Marner and Matthews in Game 4 may have changed the destiny of this team. Go Leafs go.
Yeah for sure, strange though that Mitch turned up the heat, Will is skating better and the other guy got hurt/sick/quit or something g

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The confusion isnt mine.
you said:

I said use assist statistics to aid in your investigation.

Seems pretty clear until you said:

You made a statement, that you aren't convinced Mitch is a better passer than Willy and seem to narrow to a limited sample when there are literally years of data to make the connection through an assists count.
You're conflating up two posts, but OK.

I mentioned two things:
1 - I pointed out to the poster that I was responding to, that it was not Marner who made that pass.
2 - I suggested that Marner wasn't necessarily the better passer, and said "I'd be interested is seeing a stat on passes attempted and completed."

You said "Absent that you might want to check a highly correlated assists stat."

I wasn't sure whether you comment was regarding item 1 or item 2, and asked for clarity.

I didn't "narrow to a limited sample", I asked if there was data.

If you are assuming that assists are the same as "passes attempted and completed" that's fine, although I disagree with that assumption.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
You're conflating up two posts, but OK.

I mentioned two things:
1 - I pointed out to the poster that I was responding to, that it was not Marner who made that pass.
2 - I suggested that Marner wasn't necessarily the better passer, and said "I'd be interested is seeing a stat on passes attempted and completed."

You said "Absent that you might want to check a highly correlated assists stat."

I wasn't sure whether you comment was regarding item 1 or item 2, and asked for clarity.

I didn't "narrow to a limited sample", I asked if there was data.

If you are assuming that assists are the same as "passes attempted and completed" that's fine, although I disagree with that assumption.
Understood

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad