Post-Game Talk: 2-0-0 better than 1-1-0. Jets win.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I just think you have to put it into context...I keep reading Stuart is an anchor for Trouba, he kills offense, but who is our leader in plus/minus, Trouba. I think people tend to discount Stuart's effectiveness at breaking up rushes, by playing a tight gap, and physically dominating his opponent,including in front of the goalie, which seems to undervalued as a way of achieving puck possession. Enstrom's game, conversely,is more passive. He is good with the puck, when he has it. But he is easily our least physical defenseman. He put up good numbers with Myers to finish the season (though was our worst d-man in the playoffs), but was rather mediocre with Bogo, which inevitably leads to the question, who made who (better)? At what point does Toby get viewed as an anchor to Myers, who most would say is our clear #1? That's where i think Morrissey has the potential to be most effective, with development. Morrissey can not replace Stuart's bruising game, but with time (and patience) may become the same kind of steady player we need Toby to be.

But Stuart sucks at this?

always steps out of position forcing Trouba to make up.

Enstrom is our best D-man at breaking up rushes.

No way Stuart does this.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The other thing to consider to is that these are road games, and therefore Mau can not dictate the matchups. He obviously has a comfort level with the defensive game of Little's line and Lowry's, and why not? At home I expect us to be able to match up all 4 of our lines, and probably no forward gets over 20 minutes, unless it is a penalty filled game.

True. He gains a measure of control if he never uses 1 or 2 lines.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Is that why Maurice was raving about Burmi being plus 4 against Boston
? One could argue Corsi is a useless stat because it does indicate shot quality, or take into account zone starts, and other variables to possession, and most importantly does not distinguish between scoring and being scored against.

Your Corsi argument would be completely different. It would be about flaws in an imperfect stat. +- is just completely useless. A terrible player can lead the league in that stat and a good one can be at the bottom. Next year they could meet in the middle. It is just meaningless.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Nicklas Lidstrom wasn't a very physical Dman either.

If people actually believe Stu is better than Enstrom... yikes.

Point is, if Enstrom gets muscled off the puck twice a game, Stu and Chairot are getting muscled off the puck 4 times a game. It's hockey, it happens. Toby moves the puck better than anyone.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Nicklas Lidstrom wasn't a very physical Dman either.

If people actually believe Stu is better than Enstrom... yikes.

Point is, if Enstrom gets muscled off the puck twice a game, Stu and Chairot are getting muscled off the puck 4 times a game. It's hockey, it happens. Toby moves the puck better than anyone.

Hate to nitpick but lately I'm seeing Enstrom muscled off every puck along the boards in the Jets end, you really didn't see that with him in his 2-3 seasons in Winnipeg.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
Hate to nitpick but lately I'm seeing Enstrom muscled off every puck along the boards in the Jets end, you really didn't see that with him in his 2-3 seasons in Winnipeg.

No he use to do well for a small guy in puck battles. These 2 games I noticed he loses every puck battle along the boards. The playoffs was insanely bad as well. The ducks knew to put the puck in his corner and just push him around and take the puck. He was playing scared that series.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
No he use to do well for a small guy in puck battles. These 2 games I noticed he loses every puck battle along the boards. The playoffs was insanely bad as well. The ducks knew to put the puck in his corner and just push him around and take the puck. He was playing scared that series.

...yet his pairing was measurably the most effective at out-shooting.

I haven't noticed a substantial decline in effectiveness in this area, but I still see Toby moving the puck before a board battle is necessary and rarely turning the puck over. Avoiding dangerous situations is far more effective than creating dangerous for yourself and being marginally more effective thereafter.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Again +/- is a useless stat, and favors guys who pk but dont pp.

We haven't scored any SH goals yet and haven't given up any so there's no distortion there yet. We did score an EN goal which pumped up some of our +'s though.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Stuart is good at clearing the net and fighting for position in front.
He is not bad at breaking up the opponents cycle.
He is a good shot blocker.

Stuart is NOT good at breaking up rushes.
He has one of the worst percentage of rushes that turn into 2-on-1s for their partner. Poor Trouba.

Derfel*

He has one of the worst percentage of rushes that turn into 2-on-1s for their partner. Poor Trouba.

So what you are saying is that he has value and should be retained?

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I have no problems with having Stuart on the 3rd pairing. I have huge problems with having Trouba on the 3rd pairing.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
Must win, Isles are struggling abit and we need to keep up with everyone. Still only 1 loss vs central teams.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Good defensemen rarely use this anymore. Good defensemen put themselves in proper position to box out/take away passing lanes. Waaay more effective.

Yes there are still scrambles out front but smart players can win those battles as well. The stereotypical "crease clearing" defenseman is a relic at this point. It's just not effective in today's game.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
Good defensemen rarely use this anymore. Good defensemen put themselves in proper position to box out/take away passing lanes. Waaay more effective.

Yes there are still scrambles out front but smart players can win those battles as well. The stereotypical "crease clearing" defenseman is a relic at this point. It's just not effective in today's game.

"Take as many shots as you want from the slot, but don't come any closer or I might cross-check you in the back!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad