1st Annual Predict the 2016 NHL Draft Defensemen in Order!

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Is there a long history of Russian NHL players who played in a Canadian junior league who then went home early? Trying to think of some. I know Koko played in the OHL, but his situation isn't exactly like him lighting it up in the NHL and then saying "na" and leaving. If he wasn't gonna play NHL hockey he had every right to bail by now I think.

Looking at rounds 1, 2 and 3 only:

Daniil Zharkov was the last one. Drafted in 2012 round 3 91st overall by Edmonton.

Prior to that, Alexander Burmistrov (2010 - 8th overall did for a couple of years).
Kirill Kabanov (2010 - 65th overall) went to Europe then KHL

but only Burmistrov played in the NHL first

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
You would THINK that. But you can't tell me that after the last draft that it's obvious for them to take anyone at this point. But I was watching a lot of PP QB highlights. He's got such natural instincts, wow. Btw if the hockey Gods smile on us in game 7 and the Sharks lose, there's a scenario where we could get both Fabbro and Bean. RD and LD :)

I can't shake the feeling that they're gonna draft a big in Max Jones or Riley Tufte. They can't help themselves.

My sense is Fabbro hits on all their checkboxes; I do wonder if they move that pick as a package for an established player, though but that's a different thread and I don't want to piss Coach off for hijacking his thread. Not sure both Bean and Fabbro can be had, though. I think they'll both be gone by 15. But, go Preds go, dammit! I want the chance at least. I'd rather get one of the top 3 D guys, but i've come around and not sure they'll really be able to trade up, even 3-4 spots.

Max Jones : i was high on him earlier in the year, but he's just back from a lengthy suspension, right? i'd be curious to know how much of a bonehead he is off the ice (ie, can he mature). would like to see the Flyers take him if he doesn't have the mental growth capacity.

Tufte, guy reminds me of Nick Bjustad for some reason. Could be a great pick if expectations are tempered. Do think he'll really need some time to grow into that frame, though and he could get beaten up by fans here b/c he's big buy doesn't put guys through the glass.
https://www.nhl.com/news/tuftes-mix-of-size-skill-make-him-intriguing-prospect/c-787578

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
1st - Chychrun
2nd - Sergachev
3rd - Juolevi
4th - McAvoy
5th - Fabbro

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada

Right, so my question was "a long history". That's one. There would have to be quite a few more for me to pass on a top 10 talent at 14 because of even 3 guys who did it. These guys are all so different, they al have such different connections to home. Some can't wait to leave, some can't wait to go back. Radulov and 2-3 more seems insufficient to me.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Looking at rounds 1, 2 and 3 only:

Daniil Zharkov was the last one. Drafted in 2012 round 3 91st overall by Edmonton.

Prior to that, Alexander Burmistrov (2010 - 8th overall did for a couple of years).
Kirill Kabanov (2010 - 65th overall) went to Europe then KHL

but only Burmistrov played in the NHL first

Thanks Dom, awesome info. So really honestly it's completely irrelevant and should have zero impact on the Bruins view of him if he's somehow there. There's a better chance of just about any variable causing a player to bust than him having Russian ties.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Right, so my question was "a long history". That's one. There would have to be quite a few more for me to pass on a top 10 talent at 14 because of even 3 guys who did it. These guys are all so different, they al have such different connections to home. Some can't wait to leave, some can't wait to go back. Radulov and 2-3 more seems insufficient to me.

Even though the evidence might not back it up, the GMs can succumb to cognitive biases just as easily as anyone else. They remember one high profile case and that can shape their entire frame of thinking on the subject, consciously or unconsciously.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
So the winning bet would have been:

1. Juolevi
2. Sergachev
3. Bean
4. McAvoy
5. Chychrun

No one was even close on this one as expected:

1. Sergachev
2. Chychrun
3. Juolevi
4. Bean.
5. Fabbro

With that list said, I do not think that's the order of talent or who I'd hope the Bruins draft. Just strictly the draft order.

0 points.

Let me be clear, the way they are ranked (draft position by team) is different from that of how I want them to fall (for the Bruins benefit of course).

Please also note, I have maybe only a couple hours of clip watching per NA player outside of televised games which are only a handful and then many articles, so very not perfect.

If the Oilers don't trade the pick, I think they go Sergachev.
Buffalo: Juolevi
Colorado: Chychrun

I think one, if not both, of the next two could go D or fwd, so I've picked one for both.
NJ/OTT: Bean.

Boston, assuming no trade for a more established player), can't pass on Dante Fabbro.

0 points.

Solid list. :handclap:

I think someone still jumps on the Chychrun train first and the U18 play by Fabbro gets him drafted ahead of Bean, I think even scouts tend to fall for that out of site out of mind mentality at times which is a shame for Bean but maybe a blessing for the B's.

My list:
1.- Chychrun
2.- Sergachev
3.- Juolevi
4.- Fabbro
5.- Bean

I see 1-3 of my list taken in the top-10 and Fabbro/Bean in the next 4 with McAvoy landing in the 15-18 range. Any of the Chychrun, Sergachev, Juolevi, Fabbro, Bean McAvoy would be a welcome pick at 14 for this poster. I think things get a little more interesting though if Jost is still sitting there at 14. :D

0 points.

This is simply a guess.

1. Juolevi
2. Chychrun
3. Fabbro
4. Moverare
5. Sergachev

5 points!

Chychrun
Sergachev
Juolevi
Fabbro
McAvoy

4 Points!

1.Sergachev
2.Fabbro
3.Chychrun
4.Juolevi
5.Niemelainen

6. Bean

0 points.

To me there are a top 3, and then a next 4, but I am not convinced teams will see the same way

I will put the list at
1.- Chychrun
2.- Juolevi
3.- Sergachev
4.- Bean
5.- Fabbro

Honestly I actually expect Bean to break into the top 3

And while I expect Niemelanien will likely be the 7th D-man picked, I have it about 30% that he surprised people and is picked earlier than someone in our consensus top 6

0 points.

This is May's Redline top 5 D
6. Bean
9. Chychrun
10. Fabbro
11. Sergachev
12. Juolevi

next one is 27. Niemelainen

0 points.

1- Jakob Chychrun
2- Olli Juolevi
3- Mikhail Sergachev
4- Dante Fabbro
5- Jake Bean

0 points.

1) Chychryn
2) Sergachev
3) Juolivi
4) McAvoy
5) Fabbro

6 points!

1st - Chychrun
2nd - Sergachev
3rd - Juolevi
4th - McAvoy
5th - Fabbro

6 Points!

1. Joelevi
2. Chychrun
3. Sergachev
4. Bean
5. Fabbro

5 points.

Congrats to Bruin Dust and Pia! Goes to show you how far off we all were. Just for fun...

Bob Mackenzie:

1. Juolevi
2. Sergachev
3. Bean
4. Chychrun
5. McAvoy

12 Points! Swap Chychrun and McAvoy and he would have gone 5/5.

Craig Button:

1. Sergachev
2. Juolevi
3. Bean
4. Fabbro
5. McAvoy

3 points.

Sportsnet:

1. Juolevi
2. Sergachev
3. McAvoy
4. Chychrun