GDT: 1999 ECQF Game 2: Hurricanes vs Bruins

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I'm not going to lie, this brand of hockey is pretty tough to watch. At times they're trying to play such a physical game that they have lost all concept of showing their skills with the puck. And any time someone gets near anyone with the puck they just get grabbed and wrapped up.

Game looks like a slogfest. Night and day difference from today, where the quality seems to be much more polished.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
tumblr_mj99bzcp3J1qja3lvo10_r1_400.gif

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I'm not going to lie, this brand of hockey is pretty tough to watch. At times they're trying to play such a physical game that they have lost all concept of showing their skills with the puck. And any time someone gets near anyone with the puck they just get grabbed and wrapped up.

Game looks like a slogfest. Night and day difference from today, where the quality seems to be much more polished.
Yeah very different type of hockey. I'm honestly convinced that Sami would have been on the same tier as Aho or Turbo had he come on another decade later. Just every time a guy on either end gets the chance to really display some skill he's being hooked an obstructed like nobodies business.

John Elway's retiring? Damn, will the Broncos ever get another good QB? Maybe one of the guys from the last draft... I'm thinking Leaf. Indy made the wrong choice taking that Manning kid at #1.

Reactions: RodTheBawd

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Yeah very different type of hockey. I'm honestly convinced that Sami would have been on the same tier as Aho or Turbo had he come on another decade later. Just every time a guy on either end gets the chance to really display some skill he's being hooked an obstructed like nobodies business.

John Elway's retiring? Damn, will the Broncos ever get another good QB? Maybe one of the guys from the last draft... I'm thinking Leaf. Indy made the wrong choice taking that Manning kid at #1.

You think Manning was a mistake, wait until you see his brother Eli play.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

I know 'clutch and grab' wasn't popular but I thought it was better than the neutral zone trap that the Devils perfected, aka 'Dead puck'.

Reactions: DaveG

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I know 'clutch and grab' wasn't popular but I thought it was better than the neutral zone trap that the Devils perfected, aka 'Dead puck'.
Two shades of the same gray. Both relied on obstruction and mucking up the neutral zone rather than getting and moving the puck.

Ugh just on that last play, a guy got the puck behind the net and almost instictively the defender just grabbed him by the face to slow him down.

Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad