1991 Conference Finals- A Goalie Controversy?

Al Bundy*

I was watching the 1991 Oilers/North Stars Classic Series, and I realized

Granted, I have vented my opinions on how I hated those North Stars on HFBoards, but something came to my mind.

After seeing how terrible Fuhr looked at points throughout the series (gave up 12 goals in both games at the Met Center), I thought back to Game 6 of the Smythe Finals against the Kings, where Fuhr left with an injury and Ranford slammed the door to help them get into the next round.

Given that Ranford looked strong in that crucial game and the fact that he was last year's Conn Smythe Trophy winner, combined with Fuhr's injury,

should the Oilers have gone to Ranford from the start of the series? I think that cost Edmonton the series.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Yes they probably should have. Fuhr was in his drug stage at the time and this was his down moment from around '90-93. He never really did anything impressive at that time. Not until he went to the Sabres and picked it up a bit before going to the Blues.

Ranford was one of the best in the game at the time. He won the Conn Smythe in '90, he won the Canada Cup MVP in '91. This was a time when Ranford shone!

greatgazoo

Jan 26, 2008
Cobourg
Yes they probably should have. Fuhr was in his drug stage at the time and this was his down moment from around '90-93. He never really did anything impressive at that time. Not until he went to the Sabres and picked it up a bit before going to the Blues.

Ranford was one of the best in the game at the time. He won the Conn Smythe in '90, he won the Canada Cup MVP in '91. This was a time when Ranford shone!

Actually, Fuhr's drug stage was from 1983-90 when he was arguably the best goalie in the world. His NHL imposed suspension was in 1990 after he had checked himself into rehab and admitted that he had used drugs in the past.

In 1991, Fuhr was clean and sober and still considered by John Muckler and Glen Sather's as the the Oilers #1 netminder.

The Oilers loss to the Stars in that conference final was more due to injury (ie. Messier was playing hurt) than anything else.

-Oilers fan who lived through it

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Actually, Fuhr's drug stage was from 1983-90 when he was arguably the best goalie in the world. His NHL imposed suspension was in 1990 after he had checked himself into rehab and admitted that he had used drugs in the past.

In 1991, Fuhr was clean and sober and still considered by John Muckler and Glen Sather's as the the Oilers #1 netminder.

The Oilers loss to the Stars in that conference final was more due to injury (ie. Messier was playing hurt) than anything else.

-Oilers fan who lived through it

Yeah no doubt he practiced drugs prior to '90 but his NHL suspension hurt him and he did not become a semi-elite goalie until pretty much his St. Louis days

greatgazoo

Jan 26, 2008
Cobourg
Yeah no doubt he practiced drugs prior to '90 but his NHL suspension hurt him and he did not become a semi-elite goalie until pretty much his St. Louis days

The 4th month suspension obviously had no effect on him at all as he regained his starters job from Ranford by having a better save %, win % and GAA than the previous season's Conn Smythe winner.

Then in the playoffs, he obviously wasn't effected when he backstopped the Oilers to a 7 game series victory over the hated Calgary Flames.

What effected Fuhr from 1991-1996 was injury. Here's the infirmary report on him after he left Edmonton...

Missed parts of 1991-92 season with sprained thumb, an injury suffered during Toronto's Oct. 17, 1991, game at Calgary, with pulled groin, an injury suffered during Toronto's Nov. 12, 1991, game at Minnesota, and with sprained knee, an injury suffered during Toronto's Feb. 11, 1992, game vs. Detroit. ... Missed part of 1992-93 season with sprained knee, an injury suffered during Toronto's Oct. 20, 1992, game vs. Ottawa. The injury required arthroscopic surgery on Oct. 22, 1992. ... Missed parts of 1992-93 season with strained shoulder, an injury suffered during Toronto's Dec. 5, 1992, game vs. Chicago, and with bruised shoulder muscle, an injury suffered during Toronto's Jan. 17, 1993, game at Chicago. ...

You try playing net in the NHL with bad knees and shoulders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad