1991 all over again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacques Plante

Aug 29, 2004
Montreal--Downtown
I've found this upcoming WJC to share a couple of interesting traits to the 1991 WJC's.

In 1991 we had 2 superstars, from 2 countries, on the verger of greatness. Canada had Eric Lindros. The increadibly talented power forward had been tearing it up in Oshuwa and was touted as "The Next One". Everyone knew he would be able to step into the NHL and accomplish great things. A men amongst boys would be a star for the Canadian team.

Russia had their own superstar. His name was Pavel Bure. He would go on to become a prolific goal scorer in the NHL. Nicknmaed the "Russian Rocket" Bure was deadly on breakaways and would go on to reach the 50 goal plateau 5 times.

Today both these hockey superpowers are lead by 2 new names.

Canada is lead by Sidney Crosby. Touted once again as "The Next one" he has
been turning heads in Rimouski by scoring at a prolific pace. This is his second WJC and he is expected to rise up to the occasion. Scouts marvel at his unique abilities.

Russia counters with Alexander Ovechkin. Sometimes forgotten in the Crosby hype machine, he is still an amazing talent. He will certainly step in and be a force in the NHL. Had it not been for the lockout he may have been rookie of the year.

I just found this to be an interesting throwback to an earlier time.

Feel free to have your say.

espo*

Interesting parralel there. I think Russia is going to rely more on Ovechkin then Canada is on Crosby.Something tells me the Russians will build their whole team concept and game around him (not always a good thing) frankly the guy worries me a little bit,he's almost a man among boys this year and just coming off a world cup experience with the big boys. But the again in fusen in 1992 big Eric was a man among boys and that team underachieved. His performance at this tourney is just another one of the many interesting sidebars this tournament will have.There is some nice similarities here,maybe in more ways then one.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
Interesting comments, but I agree with the response that Canada is actually much less reliant on Crosby than they were on Lindros in 1991. This team is going to be based on a more balanced approach with an emphasis on involving the Defence in the play, at least if you look at the d-men who will make the team and how they play in their leagues (particularly given the fact that Sutter does not hold back Phaneuf's offensive talents).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad