Olympics: 1980 US hockey team.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So I was watching sports centre recently and they did the top 10 upsets in sports and the miracle on ice was ranked #3. Thing is that wasn't even the gold medal game.

It got me thinking how would they looked at if they lost the final? would their legacy be hurt? or was the miracle on ice so big that losing the final would not have hurt the way that moment is viewed today?

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
It would be different. Mainly because the Soviets would have won the gold medal.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
So I was watching sports centre recently and they did the top 10 upsets in sports and the miracle on ice was ranked #3. Thing is that wasn't even the gold medal game.

It got me thinking how would they looked at if they lost the final? would their legacy be hurt? or was the miracle on ice so big that losing the final would not have hurt the way that moment is viewed today?

The game vs. Finland was not really a final, since Finland did not have a chance to win the gold at that point, although they could have spoiled USA's victory by winning the game.* There was no final nor semi-finals, but I think the USA vs. USSR game was sort of (de facto) final; it was the game between the two best teams in the tournament.

Anyway: it depends on a person, I guess, but I think the game would still be remembered, although maybe more as a quirk in sports history rather than as such a heroic story that it is now known; the Olympic gold medal definitely brought some extra luster to the win. So I don't think it would be quite the same - at least not outside USA. However, especially after the 1979 Challenge Cup, the Soviets were largely considered 'the best team in the world' (even though they didn't look like that in Lake Placid) and there was also the political element/dimension (Cold War, Afghanistan) that made the win - on home-ice, no less - even that much sweeter.

IMO it is not even the biggest upset in hockey history - let alone in sports history. USA had not looked very convincing in the exhibition games before the tournament, but it should be remembered that they did not lose a single game in the Olympics, and even destroyed Czechoslovakia (who had won 3 world championships over USSR in the 1970s) by a score of 7-3. On paper, Team USA wasn't that great per se, that's true, but they had a young, speedy team with some future NHL'ers like Neal Broten, Ken Morrow, Mike Ramsey, Dave Christian, Mark Johnson, Mark Pavelich, Dave Silk and internationally experienced players like Buzz Schneider, Mike Eruzione and Jim Craig.
The Soviets were undefeated in the tournament too before the Miracle game, but had struggled and looked bad against Finland and weakish amateur Canada; they needed some last period heroics to overcome both.

Poland beat the Soviets 6-4 in the 1976 World Championships; the difference between the teams was arguably greater than between USA and USSR in 1980: I don't think Poland had a single NHL calibre player on the team. But of course the hockey World Championships don't have the luster of the Olympics and the win did not lead Poland anywhere, as they lost nearly every other game in the tournament.
Belarus beating Sweden in the 2002 Olympics was a bigger upset too, objectively speaking.

* if Finland had beaten USA (but the other results remained the same), then the final standings would have looked like this:
USSR 4 points (gold)
Finland 3 points (silver)
USA 3 points (bronze)
Sweden 2 points

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

what on Earth was the top 2? :laugh:

that is ridiculous..

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Crazy that if the USA hadn't completed the upset against the Soviets, they haven't won a gold since the late 60's :help:

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
crazy that if the usa hadn't completed the upset against the soviets, they haven't won a gold since the late 60's :help:

I don't know what it was about the Olympics, but USA was always rubbish at the World Championships, and yet often certainly exceeded themselves at the Olympics, e.g. in 1960 (gold), 1972 (silver), 1980 (duh)...

Last edited:

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
North Korea over Italy and USA over England in the World Cup were both massive upsets. Wonder if either of them were #1 or 2? I would not disagree.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
It's hard to compare across sports, because lets face it, alot of us don't follow every sport as intensely.

Example, I have no idea how big Buster Douglas over Tyson is because I've never watched a boxing match.

I don't think North Korea over Italy was as big because you simply had no idea how good North Korea was. They were like an alien team that showed up and disappeared and you never saw them again.

You knew what the USA and USSR teams were in 1980.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
The 1980 upset was especially amazing considering what happend two weeks earlier when the Soviets beat Team USA 10-3 in New York.

Similarly, the Soviets hammered Poland 16-1 in the 1976 Olympics only two months before the Poles won 6-4 at the WHC in Warsaw.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad