1979 Challenge Cup - NHL All-Stars vs Soviet Union (3 game series)

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I think we've been through this a lot here in the past, but once again, you can't put much of the blame on Team NHL goalies. Tretiak was lousy especially in game 2, nearly costing the Soviets the win in a game they clearly dominated (e.g. shots on goal 31-16 for USSR), and thus Tikhonov put an inexprienced goalie like Myshkin in goal for game 3.
And if Vachon lets in 4 goals in one game vs Czechoslovakia (game 2 of the '76 final), how many would he (potentially) allow against the 1979 Soviets, a much better team - especially regarding firepower - than the '76 Czechs?

To be fair, Vachon allowed 10 goals in 7 games. Three games against the Czechs he allowed 5 goals with one shutout. He definitely performed better than anyone in net for Canada in 1979. Who knows, I might have picked the same names. Esposito and Cheevers always played the Russians well and Dryden was part of a dynasty at that time. I can't blame Cheevers all on his own because at least in Game 3 he gave them a fighting chance going into the 3rd down 2-0. You can't win if you don't score goals and with that line up I don't know how Canada couldn't.

Danny46

Dec 28, 2015
The Soviets were the better team, the hockey they played was beautiful to watch...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad