1972 Summit Series: shame or glory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
... absolutely. It was "just that close". This term in explaining a win post event as "they wanted it more" I dont think is altogether accurate. I've always followed the philosophy that a games momentum starts from the crease out as opposed to the forward rush. The teams confidence in the Goaltender, who should be a natural leader, in many ways driving the play.

So rather than thinking "Team Canada won because they wanted it more" I look it as more a case of "Team Canada won because they were afraid to lose". Hence you got these mercenary free-lance charges by guys like Henderson. Desperate play & attack. Force of will. Tretiak was "in their heads", he fought like it was life & death in stopping that puck from crossing the red line as any Goalie worth his salt would. It took a guy like Henderson playing out of his normal range & out of his mind to score those goals.

Yes there were breakdowns by Russians in their zone, but only by slivers, no gaping massive holes. Semantics perhaps but there is a difference between "wanting it more" as opposed to "being afraid to lose". Its a headspace. Never say die. And because the Canadian game was one of more individual as opposed to team play, Paul Henderson won that series for Canada by being a complete & utter opportunist who seized the moment, playing sacrificially, something that has been drummed into Canadian & American bred players for generations. Remember too that Henderson came up through the Leaf system, whereby this whole "We Are Marshall" philosophy instilled by Conn Smythe & not yet completely shredded by Harold Ballard was still being fostered, inculcated in each player, expected.

I think we can expand on that and say the Canadians "knew what it took to win" more than the Soviets did for an extended series.

Apart from eliminating Kharlamov;), I think Canada won because of the experience garnered from Stanley Cup playoffs. It was evident in later games that the Canadians better understood what it took to go the distance physically, mentally, tactically, etc.

This is all very abstract, but it doesn't mean that the Canadians innately possessed more "heart".

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
This is all very abstract, but it doesn't mean that the Canadians innately possessed more "heart".

... ya, excellent point & observation, and to suggest the Canadians innately possessed more heart borders on xenophobia, cultural racism, is not helpful. The Russians hadnt' ever experienced a sustained tournament or series like that before, been exposed to that kind of heat, whereas the Canadians of course had been from Junior to the NHL.... which then opens that trap door yet again to "tactics", what was perfectly acceptable in semi's or finals from Jr.C to A, Senior, minor pro & the NHL being deployed by Team Canada, as in take no prisoners. "Get the guy off his game, distracted, angry". You were brought up & taught to play like that, and if it meant sending someone to the hospital, too bad, so sad.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Remember too that Henderson came up through the Leaf system, whereby this whole "We Are Marshall" philosophy instilled by Conn Smythe & not yet completely shredded by Harold Ballard was still being fostered, inculcated in each player, expected.

Actually Henderson came up through the Red Wing system. He played junior for the Hamilton Red Wings but he did get eventually traded to Toronto.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Actually Henderson came up through the Red Wing system. He played junior for the Hamilton Red Wings but he did get eventually traded to Toronto.

... oh thats right too, but none the less, playing Junior in Southern Ontario he wouldve been more than cognizant of Markhams, Westons, St. Mikes, the Marlies & Leafs chain of command & philosophical leanings.

Ever hear tell of where Paul learned how to play hockey pappy?... in the basement of a Chinese Restaurant in Lucknow.... Thats right. You heard me. Guy by the name of Charlie Chin. Bought Henderson his first set of chin pads etc because his Dad was having a tough time of it working for the Railroad. You want more? ;)

Last edited:

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
... oh thats right too, but none the less, playing Junior in Southern Ontario he wouldve been more than cognizant of Markhams, Westons, St. Mikes, the Marlies & Leafs chain of command & philosophical leanings.

Ever hear tell of where Paul learned how to play hockey pappy?... in the basement of a Chinese Restaurant in Lucknow.... Thats right. You heard me. Guy by the name of Charlie Chin. Bought Henderson his first set of chin pads etc because his Dad was having a tough time of it working for the Railroad. You want more? ;)
Killon, I know a lot about Paul Henderson because we were from the same area. Did you know he was born on a sleigh going from Lucknow to the hospital in Kincardine. My aunt was a nurse there at the time and gave him his first bath.

Iain Fyffe

Hockey fact-checker
Many of the participants in the Summit Series have said that the Canadians wanted it more. Some on the Soviet side said that the Canadian will to win was something that impressed them. Is that a media creation?
Perhaps not a media creation, but the fact that you're a player does not give you a more rational understanding of the game - just think about how superstitious some players are. Many players are just as prone (judging by their public statements at least) to this sort of platitude/post facto reasoning as the media are.

If I want a rational analysis of the game, I'm not going to ask the guy who thinks his socks are magic.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Killon, I know a lot about Paul Henderson because we were from the same area. Did you know he was born on a sleigh going from Lucknow to the hospital in Kincardine. My aunt was a nurse there at the time and gave him his first bath.

Yep, in a snowstorm while crossing the frozen wastes of Lake Huron. Thats interesting about your Aunt. Kincardines' a nice town.... so, whats his favourite TV show? I love Lucy. Who does he think the Best James Bond was? Pierce Brosnan. Favourite Concert Ever? Liberace. Best Car? Lexus 350. Last actual movie he went to see? Chariots of Fire.... :D

espo*

That's a great story, I never knew that.

espo*

I have zero issue with dealing with the critical questions of that series.

Why should I? I just watch tape of the games and know every view I have of that series is justified.

I doubt you can make the same claim.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Indeed. Even with two exactly evenly-matched teams, not every game will end in a tie. Not every eight-game series will go 4-4.

To say the Canadians won because they had heart and just wanted it more suggests some sort of destiny, that their ultimate win was unavoidable. The last four games of the series were decided by a single goal each. Just once bounce could have turned a 4-3-1 Canadian series win to a 3-3-2 draw. Two bounces and the Soviets could have won. It was just that close.

Bingo. People generally do not want to believe that their team won due to factors that are outside of their control. By the end of the series Canada put themselves in the best situation to have things go their way, and that's the best that can be asked for. There was no innate quality that was present in Canada and missing from the Soviets.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
"8-0 Canada and that's the score of the first game". Canada was supposed to win the series in a walk. Up until Henderson's goal in game 8, the series was a colossal failure for Canada. It begins with the arrogance in which the Canadians displayed while preparing for the series was shameful. Scouting was shoddy. Players were out of shape. Once it became clear that the Soviets were better out of the gate the Canadian game plan changed. It took a while but they won more games in the end. They by no means won the series.

I do think that if they would have played 8 more games, Canada would have won most of those. However in terms of the 72 series, Canada was supposed to win all 8 games but didn't. Revisionist history will call the win a success.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
Perhaps not a media creation, but the fact that you're a player does not give you a more rational understanding of the game - just think about how superstitious some players are. Many players are just as prone (judging by their public statements at least) to this sort of platitude/post facto reasoning as the media are.

If I want a rational analysis of the game, I'm not going to ask the guy who thinks his socks are magic.

Actually, it wasn't just players.
Anatoli Tarasov, the father of Soviet hockey, stated after the series that while the Russians could match the Canadians in skill and fitness...they could not match the Canadians in heart and determination.
EDIT-found the actual quote:
"The Canadians battled with the ferocity and intensity of a cornered animal," said Russian coach Anatoli Tarasov. "Our players were better conditioned physically and stronger in skills then the Canadian professionals. But we could not match them in heart and desire, always the strongest part of the Canadian game."

Last edited:

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Activities Culture

Every activity has a culture of tradition, levity and mystery.

Government budgets have a tradition of being introduced by a finance minister wearing brand new shows - a tradition that has tongue in cheek elements while deflecting from the mystery of the inner working of a budget.

Likewise a player, coach or any other hockey insider is not interested in solving the mystery for the curious at the cost of continued success. Levity and appeals to tradition produce the desired result.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
"The Canadians battled with the ferocity and intensity of a cornered animal," said Russian coach Anatoli Tarasov. "Our players were better conditioned physically and stronger in skills then the Canadian professionals. But we could not match them in heart and desire, always the strongest part of the Canadian game."

... yes, as Ive been stating, Team Canada played "scared", like a cornered animal, which is an extremely dangerous thing to be facing. Viscous, nasty. Now, far be it for me to criticize Tarasov's opinion or choice of words, but I believe the Russians also possessed (possess) the same said qualities. He was complimenting the players individually, Team Canada IMHO not winning as a "Team" but as a disparate group of solo artists, a style of play that was anathema to the Russians game of 5 man unity, control. What we witnessed in many respects was Science vs. Art. Thats not to say there wasnt "artistry" in the Russians game, clearly there was, and My God, what a palette, just not enough "abstraction", freedom.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Indeed. So again, when seeking a rational analysis you don't consult someone who's not interested in rational analysis.

... but isnt that just human nature Iain? Part of the fun & joy of life? Guys who wrap their sticks with tape "just so"; or someones belief that if they vary from putting on their socks before they put on their pants or vice-versa is all part of a "ritual" that insures "good luck" and success? Do such pre-game rituals & the players (which in fact is extremely high) who follow them necessarily diminish their objectivity? Intelligence?

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
look this is easy to understand.
In the west, we had no idea the Russians were any good. Every time we were allowed to scout the lied and lied, Tretiak was swiss cheese and nobody could skate, shots were all wild. They looked like JR.B team.
Also this was their best team and played together all year. So The NHL just did not take this thing serious, the NHL players were coming off a very FAT summer and Nobody had played as a team at all. Boy were the NHL players sucking pond water after the first period, totally out of shape. SO ok BIG surprise in Montreal. But from that first game the NHL was on emergency catch-up and every game after that Team NHL was getting back in shape and becoming a team. by the time team NHL played the first game in Russia Team NHL was NOT the same team at all and it started to come alive on the ice. The Russians were on their heals and the only reason the games in the USSR were close was the REFS. The penalties were 10-1 for the Russians. Nearly every goal they scored was on a PP. 5 on 5 NHL were coming on strong every shift.
The Russians tried everything to get to the NHL. KGB were all over the boys and the hotel rooms. Food was not delivered and girls were sent to all players FREE ( NO NHL player took advantage of that on orders from Phip Esposito). Phone calls in the middle of the night just to keep the boys from sleeping. All kinds of dirty tricks. The boys refused all perks and offers and came together like a " BAND OF BROTHERS"
You just had to be there or have had to follow from Canada all this back in 1972. Just watching the replay of the games now is NOT THE SAME AT ALL. A cakes looks good on a picture but you sure don't know what it tastes like.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
look this is easy to understand... A cake looks good on in a picture but you sure don't know what it tastes like.

... its really pretty funny, amusing, interesting how even after 40 years the Summit Series, what went down, could be so polarizing. I was playing hockey at that time, dreams of the Big's dancing in my head and literally one step away from realizing that dream, after watching the Soviets turn Team Canada into Swiss Cheese, seeing first hand live & in colour what I knew instinctively was "out there", absolutely soured me on chasing that dream & goal any further.

Yes we "won", but did we, I mean "really"? Thereafter the hand-wringing & angst began in earnest in Canada from the amateur levels right on through Major Junior & the Pro's contemporaneously with the rise of the Broad Street Bullies, the Hi-jacking of what had been a beautiful & honourable game. And all because of our own arrogance, Eagleson, money, the old boys club, the WHA. Your soul, integrity as a player suddenly had a price tag in a war of Drafts, bids. Worlds collide, innocence lost.

For myself & many other top ranked Juniors, it was just All Too Much. We quit, en mass, only to slowly return to watching & caring again after Montreals' ascendancy under Bowman. Others I know never returning, some with God given talents that blew hole's through the sky, living in misery always thinking about "what might have been". A waste. Those were Strange Days on Planet Hockey. A sort of No-Mans Land between the old Sponsorship Era & the Universal Draft which though instituted in 63 wasnt exactly ascribed to nor followed by the 06 clubs completely until about 71-72.

Noisespektrum

Jun 11, 2011
new york city
Nothing but glory for both teams. the 2 Greatest International Teams to ever grace the frozen sheet, pure , plain and simple. Long Live teams Russia and Canada

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Nothing but glory for both teams. the 2 Greatest International Teams to ever grace the frozen sheet, pure , plain and simple. Long Live teams Russia and Canada

Interesting post. Interesting avatar with the vivid suggestion of MORLEYS GHOST IIb77. Bottom line; the Canadians were arrogant, entirely self absorbed, playing desperate scared hockey. I was alive then, more than cognizant, disappointed.... not even close to being "the best that it could be" as you suggest. 1980; Team USA. That was "hockey" as it should be played. Team Canada 72 frikin amateurs, top to bottom, from selection to prep, a waste of energy. Nothing proven one way or the other.

Noisespektrum

Jun 11, 2011
new york city
Interesting post. Interesting avatar with the vivid suggestion of MORLEYS GHOST IIb77. Bottom line; the Canadians were arrogant, entirely self absorbed, playing desperate scared hockey. I was alive then, more than cognizant, disappointed.... not even close to being "the best that it could be" as you suggest. 1980; Team USA. That was "hockey" as it should be played. Team Canada 72 frikin amateurs, top to bottom, from selection to prep, a waste of energy. Nothing proven one way or the other.

Morleys Ghost ? you obviously do not understand my avatar. Are you really comparing 1980 to 72?? lets add up HOFamers from 1980??? compared to HOFamers from 72 lol, Aside from Herb Brooks were there any? Russia barely recognizes 1980 and considers it nothing more than a blip in Soviet early olympic domination. 72 only seemed amateur (olympic like) due to its politics , Most clubs today could never contend with the amateur reffing that kept a steady procession of Canadians riding the pine in the penalty box. I agree the team selection was ridiculous and political . what do you mean by prep? Again, the 2 greatest teams ever assembled on 1 sheet of ice, the next best wore NHL jerseys. Olympic teams wouldnt crack the top hundred before 1998.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Morleys Ghost ?

... ya. "Morleys Ghost" or more appropriately "Marleys Ghost". Slang derivative. Hi-Jacked. As for the rest of your post, "Never Mind the Bollocks". Were you alive then?. Playing hockey?. Fully engaged?. Doubt you were. No way was it a "walkover". An "easy job" to beat the Red Machine. Out of shape and out of breath?. Good luck.

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada
The Russians hadnt' ever experienced a sustained tournament or series like that before, been exposed to that kind of heat, whereas the Canadians of course had been from Junior to the NHL.

Excellent point Killion. Russia, in those days, and really any system that prevents its people from experiencing the world, creates very sheltered people. All in all, the Russians did pretty good with the experience they had in 72. Perhaps some weren't as patriot or proud of the country/system they were representing, but you would really have to interview each and every one of them.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Excellent point Killion. Perhaps some weren't as patriot or proud of the country/system they were representing, but you would really have to interview each and every one of them.

Well thankyou LBD. You actually took the time to read my post. Foolish people seem to think Im still on attack. Fact is, we beat the Soviets through innovation & wild charges. Dont like it? Eat me Anatoli. Shoulda-coulda-woulda been no contest under different circumstances, and that "Junior B" handle woulda stuck. No frikin way their close to being our "equals". Hell, my Junior A Team at the that exact time, fall 72, wouldve clobbered Red Army. And thats a fact jack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad