1972 Summit Series: shame or glory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Writer/Interviewer

Interesting read. One question - If he died in 2003, how can he comment on how Crosby and Malkin skate? Their junior careers?

The comment about Crosby and Malkin is inserted much later as an observation made by the writer/interviewer in an effort to give a contemporary reader a more recent context.

The writing style is difficult to follow.

sparkychewbarky

Jan 27, 2012
I say shame.

...of course you do Canadian Guy,
but take some comfort in the fact that you won't wallow alone.

Unfortunately, Canada has become a nation full of shame-seekers, guilt-mongerers and hand-wringers.

We eat our own up here.

The Clarke slash was no different than a multitude of infractions from both teams.
It just found its mark.

I could argue that Maltsev's slash/trip on Henderson, (in Game 5) that sent him crashing into the end boards, was a more dangerous, deliberate attempt to take someone out of the game.
He was concussed on the play and he could have broken his neck.

The excellent debate here, on "which side was dirtier", confirms my initial sense that both teams gave as good as they got.

If we agree that the "nasty stuff" factor was a wash, then Tarasov's words best sum up this series.

Like Killion, I remember the Cuban Missile drills; pretty scary stuff for a young school kid.
For me, this series was the most intense sporting event of my life, and the social and political conflict of the day elevated this into a more-than-just-a-sporting-event event.

I remember an incredible sense of pride in the spectacular comeback victory, and in the heroic efforts of our players.

I also remember a new respect for the Soviets. They were just as passionate as we were about the great game, and damn, were they GOOD!
Holy Crap, (I remember thinking) I could be friends with these folks.
They changed the game for the better.

For Canadians, like Canadian Guy, who work so hard to seek a self-inflicted shame in this historic event;
I feel sorry for you that you can't, or won't, feel the same pride that I do, in the '72 Summit Series.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad