Speculation: 19/20 roster

ignition16

Feb 21, 2014
I'd tender a 3 year 5.5 m offer to Kevin Hayes but other than that stand Pat.

I'm with you on this - The defense needs fixing and has a lot of contracts expiring in 2020, but I don't want KH to go out and tie the Wings down to some mediocre D-man for long term. There just isn't much on the market that's worth a decent contract, especially for a team already saddled with several larger contracts for under-performing players for the next 3 years or so. A player like Hayes allows the Wings to have fewer 4th liners randomly playing as top-6 wingers (Glenny, Helm, Abdelkader) and even gives the flexibility to move one or two of those players out if anyone will take them.

I would be curious to know what some of the pending free agents perceive to be the state of the rebuild in Detroit. If Detroit has some lottery luck, will we see some genuine interest from bigger names seeing that the Wings are on their way back up in the next two to three years? Or are the current standings and uncertainty on the back end too much to overcome?

Reactions: odin1981

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I really hope they don't go for Myers, he's not what they need. Would be interested in Gardiner though.

If Myers could stay healthy, I think he'd look interesting next to Cholowski. The guy's probably never going to find the offensive game he flashed when he first came into the league, but I see value in him if he can come here and be what Jay Bouwemeester has been most of his career - a minute eating, defensively safe top3 D. Sign Gardiner, too, and pair him with Hronek :D

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I would love to get Trouba, but I think his price in a trade would be too high. Our shot at him will be as a UFA. Unless we get a cheeky offer sheet to go through, but thats unlikely.
Ya never know, if he has already made it clear to Winnipeg he doesn't want to re-sign there after next season, they may be very motivated to trade him this coming offseason. Doesn't mean it wouldn't cost a lot, just maybe a bit less than expected because they want to make sure they can get something for him before he leaves.

I'm betting the city that Trouba plays for in the next 7/8 seasons gets decided this summer.

It'll be interesting to see what happens and what Trouba ultimately fetches if/when he's traded. The Jets best hope for a huge return is going to be if they let teams negotiate with Trouba and his agent prior to a trade.

They probably wouldn't get as much if they simply dealt his rights without that, as the acquiring team is possibly only getting a 1-year rental that's trying to get to unrestricted free agency.

An offer sheet seems unrealistic because of the risk to both the signing team, as well as Trouba. The signing team would end up giving up draft picks that likely total more than what Trouba would be worth in a trade. As for Trouba, the risk would be Winnipeg matching the offer and him having to stay where he allegedly doesn't want to be.

It probably ends up coming down to a bidding war between teams where Trouba has agreed beforehand that he'll sign an extension with. Let's just say that comes down to 2: Detroit (where he's from and where his family still lives) or Florida (where his fiance or now wife? is from and where he has an offseason home). I feel like Florida would be happy to part with someone like Trocheck as part of a package, while the Wings would have to put a bigger package around Hronek or Cholowski.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Am I the only one who'd rather see McIlrath as the spare part instead of Witter? McIlrath actually looked better in the SJS game, and neither one is going to score much.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Am I the only one who'd rather see McIlrath as the spare part instead of Witter? McIlrath actually looked better in the SJS game, and neither one is going to score much.

The way I view the situation, the one thing our defense needs is someone with size and some snarl behind his game. Witter seems to be more of an eager-to-fight agitator, whereas McIlrath is more of a stay at home enforcer on the blue line. If that makes any sense. McIlrath is more of a hockey player than Witter, likely a better fighter, and less of a loose cannon.

In short, I agree with you. I'd like to see them switch roles. I don't really believe that Witkowski is an NHL player anymore, and being from Holland I feel like GR is the right spot for him to end up.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
An offer sheet seems unrealistic because of the risk to both the signing team, as well as Trouba. The signing team would end up giving up draft picks that likely total more than what Trouba would be worth in a trade. As for Trouba, the risk would be Winnipeg matching the offer and him having to stay where he allegedly doesn't want to be.

I think this is where what @The Zetterberg Era has brought up before, about using an offer sheet to force Winny's hand into either matching a short deal that would take the kid to UFA or to let the kid go for picks. If the Wings can include an NMC in the offer sheet, put that in there, too. Really tie their hands.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The way I view the situation, the one thing our defense needs is someone with size and some snarl behind his game. Witter seems to be more of an eager-to-fight agitator, whereas McIlrath is more of a stay at home enforcer on the blue line. If that makes any sense. McIlrath is more of a hockey player than Witter, likely a better fighter, and less of a loose cannon.

In short, I agree with you. I'd like to see them switch roles. I don't really believe that Witkowski is an NHL player anymore, and being from Holland I feel like GR is the right spot for him to end up.
Hockeyfights website shows McIlrath with more fights, but fighting is more common in the AHL than NHL. I agree Witter is more of a nutcase, and McIlrath is definitely the better player. I also think players are more reluctant to fight McIlrath because of his size and reach.

Not that it matters all that much since it's spare parts, but I wouldn't mind seeing him on the ice the next time we play Montreal.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Hockeyfights website shows McIlrath with more fights, but fighting is more common in the AHL than NHL. I agree Witter is more of a nutcase, and McIlrath is definitely the better player. I also think players are more reluctant to fight McIlrath because of his size and reach.

Not that it matters all that much since it's spare parts, but I wouldn't mind seeing him on the ice the next time we play Montreal.

Agreed. Honestly with our current roster: Hronek, Dekeyser, Kronwall, Daley, Ericsson, Bowey, Witkowski, McIlrath

I'd start McIlrath over Daley, Ericsson and Witkowski immediately. Concerns about Green next year. It gets easier with Kronwall not necessarily returning. Daley and Ericsson are inconsequential.

DK-Hronek
Kronwall-Bowey
Daley/Ericsson-McIlrath

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I think this is where what @The Zetterberg Era has brought up before, about using an offer sheet to force Winny's hand into either matching a short deal that would take the kid to UFA or to let the kid go for picks. If the Wings can include an NMC in the offer sheet, put that in there, too. Really tie their hands.

If I'm Trouba and my goal is to get out of Winnipeg, pick my destination, or hit UFA ASAP, I'm probably not signing an offer sheet unless it *guarantees* I may only be in Winnipeg for one more season. So maybe he signs a one year offer sheet? But how realistic is that?

Trouba isn't eligible for an NMC/NTC until 20/21, so for an offer sheet to include one, it would have to be at least 2 years.

I can't see Trouba agreeing to a deal where for one year, the Jets have the freedom to send him wherever they want before that NMC/NTC kicks in, and then he has to spend the next year stuck with whatever team the Jets sent him to.

But even then the short term offer sheet is still risky for the acquiring team. If Winnipeg doesn't match, the offering team coughs up a 1st, 2nd and 3rd or 2 1sts and a 2nd and 3rd to be guaranteed a year or two of Trouba. What if over the course of that deal, he decides he doesn't like it there either and still wants to hit the UFA market?

It also likely takes an overpayment well into the 2 1sts a 2nd and 3rd salary range to get the Jets not to match a short term deal.

I'm betting the Jets will have all of this sorted out before Trouba even has a chance to consider an offer sheet. I doubt they want to let it drag much past the draft since they have to figure out how to re-sign or replace not only Trouba, but Hayes and Myers and then give sizable raises to Laine and Connor.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Decided to check this thread out. Got depressed by lineup in first post. Wow is it easy for a ship to sink in the NHL and hard to pull it back up from the depths.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Your gut feeling? The guy was second in big ten voting for player of the year as a sophomore. Hirose is also 3 years older than Hughes. Funny way to say Hughes will not be good. Let’s see what he can do at the NHL level before writing him off.
I only follow DRW players & to a lesser degree NHL superstars/stars & then to a much lesser degree semi-stars. I have no idea who did what in college/minors etc. No time for all that. So yes, I said it was just a "vibe" about Quinn that struck a chord....certainly not "writing him off" as you suggest. I'd take Zadina over Quinn 10 out of 10 times. Hirose is just a huge bonus thus far.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I'm with you on this - The defense needs fixing and has a lot of contracts expiring in 2020, but I don't want KH to go out and tie the Wings down to some mediocre D-man for long term. There just isn't much on the market that's worth a decent contract, especially for a team already saddled with several larger contracts for under-performing players for the next 3 years or so. A player like Hayes allows the Wings to have fewer 4th liners randomly playing as top-6 wingers (Glenny, Helm, Abdelkader) and even gives the flexibility to move one or two of those players out if anyone will take them.

I would be curious to know what some of the pending free agents perceive to be the state of the rebuild in Detroit. If Detroit has some lottery luck, will we see some genuine interest from bigger names seeing that the Wings are on their way back up in the next two to three years? Or are the current standings and uncertainty on the back end too much to overcome?

Also I would like to contend that Detroit is better to live in than the peg. Also given that he is center capable if AA is in a down swing you can switch them around between wing and center as needed.

One thing I would note is make sure we don't sign him past 4 years. Because he is a big bodied physical player he won't age well past 30 so don't sign him past 30-31 like Abby to avoid a nuclear meltdown like that idiot has undergone.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Wondering if they'll go 8 D.

Mantha - Larkin - Zadina
Bertuzzi - Athanasiou - Helm
Hirose - Nielsen - Svechnikov
Rasmussen - Glendening - Abdelkader/De La Rose

DeKeyser - Hronek
Kronwall - Green
Daley - Bowey
Ericsson - Cholowski
Bottom 2 pairs rotate

Howard
Bernier

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
If Myers could stay healthy, I think he'd look interesting next to Cholowski. The guy's probably never going to find the offensive game he flashed when he first came into the league, but I see value in him if he can come here and be what Jay Bouwemeester has been most of his career - a minute eating, defensively safe top3 D. Sign Gardiner, too, and pair him with Hronek :D

The issue with Myers is that he isn't really a "safe" dman. He's pretty much a #4 dman at this point and you could argue he shouldn't be playing anything more than 3rd pairing minutes. He's a bit of a below average possession player; doesn't defend that well, I'd say is definitely below average in that regard; and he has pretty favorable zone starts as well. If he'd something like a 2 year deal for 6M I'd be fine with giving him a chance but he's probably going to get 4-6 years at 4-5M and that's a bit of an overpay for a player of his caliber.

Sign me up for Gardiner though. :thumbu:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Didn't know where to put it or if anybody even cares...but former Redwing Damien Brunner is finally healthy, scored two goals in game 2 of the semifinals against Bern and came up with a rather creative celebration when he tied the game late in the 3rd:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: waltdetroit

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Fun game this is! Man, Take a lot of googling, etc, to see who's a RFA/UFA, draft picks, money available. I'll give it a whirl in a few cause it's going to take time.

For now, with no Yzerman yet... I don't see the current staff rocking the ship much in the rebuild. Unload veterans, gain picks, gain roster spots for young fellas to compete for. It's what I'm expecting with no Yzerman move. If Yzerman steps in the door then I think the franchise expands it's rebuild processes through trades/signings, etc.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018

Red Wings trade D Mike Green to the Florida Panthers for a 3rd round pick in 2021.

Red Wings trade G Jonathan Bernier and C Luke Glendening to the Flames for a future conditional 4th round pick.

LW Justin Abdelkader is waived and sent down to Grand Rapids and becomes Captain.

Roster
: 19 - 20

Tyler Bertuzzi – (C)Dylan Larkin – Anthony Mantha
Filip Zadina – Andreas Athanasiou – Kaapo Kakko *Draft
Taro Hirose – (A)Frans Nielson – Evgeny Svechnikov
Michael Rasmussen – Jacob de le Rose – (A)Darren Helm

* Christoffer Ehn, C
* Matt Puempel, LW/RW

Filip Hronek – Danny DeKeyser
Dennis Cholowski – Trevor Daley
Madison Bowey – Jonathan Ericsson

* Joe Hicketts, LHD *RFA RESIGNING

Jimmy Howard *Resigned
Patrik Rybar *Resigned

PP:

Zadina/Larkin/Mantha
Hronek/Kakko

Bertuzzi/AA/Hirose
Cholowski/Daley

PK:

Nielson/Helm
Ericsson/DeKeyser

Larkin/ de le Rose
Bowey/Daley

Idk, might be hog-wash but I'd trade the players mentioned first to essentially trim the fat and open roster spots. Abdelkader basically has to be sent down at this point like Cleary. Rolled the dice with Svechinkov/Hicketts/Rybar.
*Assumed a top 2 pick* Look to trade Daley/Helm/De Le Rose/Howard at the deadline for whatever depending on our standings, let Daley/Ericsson contracts play out and come off the books, resign our own guys with the money and make a move for a special player in 2020, (Name your favorite),
Also, a big play for RHD Jacob Trouba at some point, UFA/trade something.

* This took a lot of dang time...

Last edited:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Red Wings trade D Mike Green to the Florida Panthers for a 3rd round pick in 2021.

Red Wings trade G Jonathan Bernier and C Luke Glendening to the Flames for a future conditional 4th round pick.

LW Justin Abdelkader is waived and sent down to Grand Rapids and becomes Captain.

Roster
: 19 - 20

Tyler Bertuzzi – (C)Dylan Larkin – Anthony Mantha
Filip Zadina – Andreas Athanasiou – Kaapo Kakko *Draft
Taro Hirose – (A)Frans Nielson – Evgeny Svechnikov
Michael Rasmussen – Jacob de le Rose – (A)Darren Helm

* Christoffer Ehn, C
* Matt Puempel, LW/RW

Filip Hronek – Danny DeKeyser
Dennis Cholowski – Trevor Daley
Madison Bowey – Jonathan Ericsson

* Joe Hicketts, LHD *RFA RESIGNING

Jimmy Howard *Resigned
Patrik Rybar *Resigned

Idk, might be hog-wash but I'd trade the players mentioned first to essentially trim the fat and open roster spots. Abdelkader basically has to be sent down at this point like Cleary. Rolled the dice with Svechinkov/Hicketts/Rybar.
*Assumed a top 2 pick* Look to trade Daley/Helm/De Le Rose/Howard at the deadline for whatever depending on our standings, let Daley/Ericsson contracts play out and come off the books, resign our own guys with the money and make a move for a special player in 2020, (Name your favorite),
Also, a big play for RHD Jacob Trouba at some point, UFA/trade something.

* This took a lot of dang time...

I imagine Green’s trade value is non existent until he comes back healthy and performs. He’s a deadline candidate next year at best

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I imagine Green’s trade value is non existent until he comes back healthy and performs. He’s a deadline candidate next year at best

I mean, I can't predict his health in a month or two but if he clears a physical whats the deal?

A future 3rd is pretty low return for someone that can play a big role when healthy. I mean I'm not imagining teams lining up for him but a team that misses out on nice UFA's this year and still has a need might roll the dice on someone like him for a low cost 1 year flier.

I'm also not disagreeing with you that it's easier and more likely to move him at the deadline vs any point in the summer. He'll have proven something(or not) by playing and will cost a team more than a future 3rd at that point if he does well.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
New contracts are coming and it's going to be much bigger
you said contracts coming next season. they are already signed next season for ~3m. there won't be a new contract for next season as they are already under contract.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I mean, I can't predict his health in a month or two but if he clears a physical whats the deal?

A future 3rd is pretty low return for someone that can play a big role when healthy. I mean I'm not imagining teams lining up for him but a team that misses out on nice UFA's this year and still has a need might roll the dice on someone like him for a low cost 1 year flier.

I'm also not disagreeing with you that it's easier and more likely to move him at the deadline vs any point in the summer. He'll have proven something(or not) by playing and will cost a team more than a future 3rd at that point if he does well.

I guess what I’m getting at is I wouldn’t give up anything for a player who has missed extensive time twice due to an infection, as well has dealt with a back injury that held him out. 3rd round pick doesn’t have a ton of value, but it’s more valuable that someone who could just get sick again and miss substantial time. And that’s not even including that you have them taking his full salary.

I guess I should have said, if I were running an opposing team, I wouldn’t touch Green with the cost and the risk I’d be assuming. But if we, the Wings, can trade him...I’d be on board

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad