Prospect Info: 17OA: Axel Sandin Pellikka

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Too soon to revisit this discussion for this year?

I forget if we want ASP in GR next year or for him to stay another year.
I think the ship has sailed, I've heard he's staying in Sweden. I think that's a huge disservice to both the player and team with Edvinsson and probably Johanssen off the GR roster next season. They are going to be extremely thin at defense, which is gonna be rough on Cossa. ASP would at least give them a good breakout pass.

I don't know if the main concern is development or maximizing time before players start getting bigger contracts but the asset management has been a bit suspect.

• Wow
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

svartgul

Hata Löven
May 9, 2007
Beyond the Infinite
www.northpower.nu
Depends on who "we" is. Fans probably want him in GR to start acclimating to NA ice. Yzerman would probably like to put it off and let him mature one more year in Sweden. ASP probably wants SHL or NHL and nothing to do with the AHL, so if he's not making the big club would probably prefer to stay in Sweden with the significantly shorter bus rides.
There is not a single hockey player in Europe that wants to have anything to do with the AHL.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think the ship has sailed, I've heard he's staying in Sweden. I think that's a huge disservice to both the player and team with Edvinsson and probably Johanssen off the GR roster next season. They are going to be extremely thin at defense, which is gonna be rough on Cossa. ASP would at least give them a good breakout pass.

I don't know if the main concern is development or maximizing time before players start getting bigger contracts but the asset management has been a bit suspect.

The ship has indeed sailed (we discussed it last week):

"I expect him to stay," Yzerman said April 19. "We haven't actually had a conversation with him, but I expect him to remain in Sweden for another season, but we literally haven't sat down and had a phone call with him and (said), 'Hey Axel, what would you like to do?' But my impression, my understanding right now is that he'll remain there for another year, and if we wants to do that, we're more than happy with it."

Reactions: FabricDetails

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

"I expect him to stay," Yzerman said April 19. "We haven't actually had a conversation with him, but I expect him to remain in Sweden for another season, but we literally haven't sat down and had a phone call with him and (said), 'Hey Axel, what would you like to do?' But my impression, my understanding right now is that he'll remain there for another year, and if we wants to do that, we're more than happy with it."

He's actually not saying the ship has sailed, just that the expectation is he'll stay.

Oct 18, 2006

How hard is it to have that conversation with him? Like isn’t this the type of stuff that should be occurring?

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
How hard is it to have that conversation with him? Like isn’t this the type of stuff that should be occurring?
Seeing as the date was April 19 for the SY quote and the SHL playoffs just wound up on the 29th, I can see why the discussion had not yet taken place, but pretty sure if SY is still in Europe for the tournament, then I suspect he'll find some time to swing by and visit some folks or least give them a call.

ASP is still not inked, so it is pretty much 100% his call what he wants to do next.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He's actually not saying the ship has sailed, just that the expectation is he'll stay.

OK, to be technically correct, he's expecting the ship to sail, lol.

Let's not get hung up on semantics. ASP isn't playing in GR next season.

Yeah, seems a bit strange to me as well, considering he's a 1st round pick. GMs usually talk to top picks directly, but my guess is that he's delegating to Kronwall for the Swedes. (Just guessing)

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
OK, to be technically correct, he's expecting the ship to sail, lol.

Let's not get hung up on semantics. ASP isn't playing in GR next season.

Yeah, seems a bit strange to me as well, considering he's a 1st round pick. GMs usually talk to top picks directly, but my guess is that he's delegating to Kronwall for the Swedes. (Just guessing)
I think he will join GR in next season playoffs

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
There is not a single hockey player in Europe that wants to have anything to do with the AHL.

Why? It is the main feeder to the NHL. The Swedish League is often said to be below the AHL and the pay isn't spectacular.

The Red Wings can add championship pedigree to the scouting report of prospect Axel Sandin Pellikka.

The Swedish defenseman drafted 17th overall in the 2023 NHL Draft won the SHL Championship with Skellefteå AIK on Monday. He missed the first two games of his team's series against Rogle, but he came back and played just over 20 minutes each night in the final three games to close out the series in five. Sandin Pellikka also won the Borje Salming Trophy earlier this season, awarded to the SHL's best defenseman.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think he will join GR in next season playoffs

You mean Red Wings, not GR. He's gonna replace Holl/Petry when Fester figures out a kid with no NHL experience can play better defense than those 2 clowns.

The big catch there is that the Wings would have to make the playoffs for it to happen.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
You mean Red Wings, not GR. He's gonna replace Holl/Petry when Fester figures out a kid with no NHL experience can play better defense than those 2 clowns.

The big catch there is that the Wings would have to make the playoffs for it to happen.
Ironically Lalonde mentioned during the presser he prefers to have more younger players in the lineup and Steve would push back

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

I hope Red Wings made it next season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad