Prospect Info: #166 - Pasquale Zito (C)

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Im excited for this kid. In the day one presser Draper made an offhand remark about kids not being able to play but they were able to do other things and some that they talked to had put on 20lbs of muscle over the course of the year. Then, watching the interview with Zito he said that he was incredibly frustrated that he couldnt play the past 16 months but that the one thing he was able to do hard was hit the gym hard. And he looked pretty filled out. He could have a major improvement this season and surprise some people. He wasnt on my radar at all but I'm really intrigued! Oh, and he also mentioned that he had no prior connections to anyone in the Detroit org, so they really did just take him based on what they saw and not from prior relationships like some of the other picks, which also makes things more interesting.

They said they picked him explicitly because of the relationships that the area scout developed with him and his trainers and how they got to know them more and more in-depth. Understanding who the kid is, how he’s wired, etc.

Which is the exact same f***ing thing that happens with other prospects, even the ones that are connected to Draper.

The lengths you will go to discredit players based on where they grew up or the program they came up in is laughable.

Reactions: Henkka

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
They said they picked him explicitly because of the relationships that the area scout developed with him and his trainers and how they got to know them more and more in-depth. Understanding who the kid is, how he’s wired, etc.

Which is the exact same f***ing thing that happens with other prospects, even the ones that are connected to Draper.

The lengths you will go to discredit players based on where they grew up or the program they came up in is laughable.
You misundertood what I was trying to point out. I wasnt taking a shot at draper or whatever, I was just pointing out the situation to all the people who have been complaining that we only take players that drapes or someone is "connected" to. Calm down

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
You misundertood what I was trying to point out. I wasnt taking a shot at draper or whatever, I was just pointing out the situation to all the people who have been complaining that we only take players that drapes or someone is "connected" to. Calm down

The bigger point in all of this is that everyone has connections, and scouting in general is riddled with bias. From each and every scout, there are going to be guys they have great relationships with. Whether it’s familiarity with a juniors coach, familiarity with a different organization (Frolunda), past experience with a kid (Draper-Mazur), etc.

No relationship is more trustworthy or right/wrong than another.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
The bigger point in all of this is that everyone has connections, and scouting in general is riddled with bias. From each and every scout, there are going to be guys they have great relationships with. Whether it’s familiarity with a juniors coach, familiarity with a different organization (Frolunda), past experience with a kid (Draper-Mazur), etc.

No relationship is more trustworthy or right/wrong than another.
I agree, so not sure why you decided to jump down my throat. Of course they are going to lean on different connections/ relationships in a year like this, but its not a big deal.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Bertuzzi comparisons;

OHL Draft stock;
Bertuzzi 78 OA Guelph
Zito 41 OA Windsor

OHL production (Pre NHL Draft)
Bertuzzi;
16 year old - 61 GP and 17 points
17 year old - 43 GP and 22 points
Zito;
16 years old - 46 GP and 13 points
17 years old - No season

Size at Draft;
Bertuzzi - 6’0 and 178 lbs
Zito - 6’0 and 183 lbs

Both smart, two way, physical players, who were able to score in minor hockey prior to the OHL. Bertuzzi exploded over a PPG after his draft year… Hopefully Pasquale can do the same.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
When the wings had a million picks before trading up for some guys I thought they would take a couple swings at some OHL guys who they thought would be underscouted and potentially steal them. Sounds like this is a guy who is super competitive and went hard even when he couldnt play hockey. Going to be one of the interesting ones to keep an eye on this year. For the style of hockey he plays, actually getting a year off to hit the gym might help his game a bit more than a skilled guy being off the ice for an extended amount of time.

I'll take a Tkachuk type on the wings any day

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
That is an awesome response to a two-hander to the back. I wish we saw it more often. This organization needs more crazy.

Reactions: Gniwder

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Worth posting twice.

That's the kinda grit I want to see out of a bottom 6 player, plus he's putting up more points this season. He's bound to have at least an AHL career, and that's not bad for a 6th rounder.

Sounds like theyre pretty happy with Zito in Windsor this year. He just came off a pretty big suspension for big hit that I doubt is anything in the NHL. I'm not sure he becomes anything at all at the pro level, but I definitely think hes having a better season this year than you would expect out of a 6th rounder.

Heres the hit/fight after

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Sounds like theyre pretty happy with Zito in Windsor this year. He just came off a pretty big suspension for big hit that I doubt is anything in the NHL. I'm not sure he becomes anything at all at the pro level, but I definitely think hes having a better season this year than you would expect out of a 6th rounder.

Heres the hit/fight after

That would've been at least a game in the NHL, he caught the guy under the chin with that hit.

In any case, he's got grit which this team sorely lacks. He'll need to learn to PK if he wants to carve out a career as a bottom 6 forward, I don't know if he currently does or not...

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
That would've been at least a game in the NHL, he caught the guy under the chin with that hit.

In any case, he's got grit which this team sorely lacks. He'll need to learn to PK if he wants to carve out a career as a bottom 6 forward, I don't know if he currently does or not...

I've wathed 2 games I think of him so it was hard to tell, but Windsor fans think hes really good on the back check and a well rounded guy, the goal scoring this year is a bonus. I dont think theyre calling him a future selke winner at all but hes very solid defensively

blueadams

May 30, 2011
Mazur, LDNilsson, Zito, Savage........... it's not outside the realm of possibilities that 3 forwards drafted after the 3rd rd in the 21 draft could play in the NHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad