Prospect Info: #166 Overall, LW Josh Filmon, Swift Current WHL

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
It’s not about you and me it’s about the other pros. As I’ve noted the closest equivalent is the big man who can’t hit a free throw. You know we can find a high school team they could beat a team of certain NBA players in a foul shot contest. It’s less pronounced now in hockey but you really don’t think I could find a bunch of college guys who are better than Mason Geersten if we put a radar gun on their shot and put them through combine style drills? Just my thoughts and impression.

I swear I’ll give up but there are defensive centers.

The first job of a 4th liner is not getting scored on, preferably by getting the puck out of your zone as quickly as possible. If you can do that while playing a physical shift, then it was a successful shift.

Now Geertsen having zero points in the NHL is bad,and he shouldn’t have been there for so long, but so what.

Are those random college kids good enough to play in the AHL? The ECHL? (What colleges are you going to?) Hockey isn’t a skills drill. It’s like saying someone won a game of HORSE so they can play in the NBA.

Geertsen was drafted in the 4th Rd to be a physical defensive defenseman, and ended up “character guy” career AHLer D/F, but that doesn’t make hockey easier than other sports or the AHL worse than other AAA leagues.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I swear I’ll give up but there are defensive centers.

The first job of a 4th liner is not getting scored on, preferably by getting the puck out of your zone as quickly as possible. If you can do that while playing a physical shift, then it was a successful shift.

Now Geertsen having zero points in the NHL is bad,and he shouldn’t have been there for so long, but so what.

Are those random college kids good enough to play in the AHL? The ECHL? (What colleges are you going to?) Hockey isn’t a skills drill. It’s like saying someone won a game of HORSE so they can play in the NBA.

Geertsen was drafted in the 4th Rd to be a physical defensive defenseman, and ended up “character guy” career AHLer D/F, but that doesn’t make hockey easier than other sports or the AHL worse than other AAA leagues.
We are discussing different things. That’s the problem with the message board. My meaning was lost somewhere along the way and you are renting points I wasn’t trying to assert. It’s ok. This has run its course. Let’s declare you the winner by default and move on.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
This thread the last page has nothing to do with Filmon. Cmon guys get back on topic.

I was a bit suprised we signed him last week already but I realized his team didn't make the WHL playoffs. He's gonna need another year in the WHL to add size and develop. He was the 5th best goal scorer this year , would be awesome of he can lead the league next year with Bedard getting drafted this summer. Could be a huge confidence boost , he's going to need a good supporting cast to get it done so hopefully Swift Current retains their best players. If not than he could potentially be moved to contender. Does he have a s
Chance to play for Canada at the World Juniors this year ?

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
We are discussing different things. That’s the problem with the message board. My meaning was lost somewhere along the way and you are renting points I wasn’t trying to assert. It’s ok. This has run its course. Let’s declare you the winner by default and move on.
Motion to dismiss?

I apologize but with the kerfuffle I missed it and am too lazy to use the search feature - is he eligible to play in the AHL next season? He just turned 19, so most of his next year in WHL he'd be 19, but is he going to get much out of that? He could bulk up with ostensibly better trainers in Utica, no?

My3Sons

Sponsor
Motion to dismiss?

I apologize but with the kerfuffle I missed it and am too lazy to use the search feature - is he eligible to play in the AHL next season? He just turned 19, so most of his next year in WHL he'd be 19, but is he going to get much out of that? He could bulk up with ostensibly better trainers in Utica, no?
I am not sure if he is AHL eligible. I recall Filmon is WJC eligible next season so he's 19 long enough that I think he has to wait a season to play in the AHL. I'm too lazy to look into it further. Capfriendly says his contract starts next season but is a slide candidate. My guess is they send him back to juniors next season with instructions to work on what they see during this end of season run with Utica.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
He's going to play a game before the end of the year. Fitzgerald hinted as much the other day.

We seriously need to win Tueaday night so that we can rest our guys on the road vs the Caps Thursday. Can we send Bahl down (paper transaction) to get another player called up ? Would like to see Clarke get a call up and get a game in. I'm not sure how the Devils are going to approach that game. We might need to dress a veteran lineup to clinch home ice vs the Rags.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
iasip-its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia.gif

Hopefully Josh is doing it without the chimichangas.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
So, I asked Kristy for his updated numbers but we could assume he is now 6`3 175. I think that is perfectly fine for a 19 year old season. He should aim to be in the mid 180s for his rookie pro season.
I read something on twitter today that he has a nut and fish allergy which is one of the reasons he has trouble putting on weight.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
It is definitely reasonable for someone his age and his build to put on a lot of weight really quickly.

When I started college, I was 6'4", 177 lbs. Not much muscle, definitely kind of a string bean. I started lifting way more consistently (even with this, there were three separate times where I took approximately 2 months off for varying reasons), eating a bit more, etc. and less than two years later, I am 212 lbs, which is approximately a 35 lb increase. It is definitely not all muscle, but no doubt a good portion is, and I would still classify myself as pretty skinny and lean. Went from barely being able to bench 135 for 1 set of 5 reps to benching 205 for 5 sets of 5 reps in that time frame. Can't give any kind of equivalent leg measurements because I am still recovering from an ACL tear but I can't even imagine what kind of gains someone with his frame could make given a proper diet and training regimen.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
It is definitely reasonable for someone his age and his build to put on a lot of weight really quickly.

When I started college, I was 6'4", 177 lbs. Not much muscle, definitely kind of a string bean. I started lifting way more consistently (even with this, there were three separate times where I took approximately 2 months off for varying reasons), eating a bit more, etc. and less than two years later, I am 212 lbs, which is approximately a 35 lb increase. It is definitely not all muscle, but no doubt a good portion is, and I would still classify myself as pretty skinny and lean. Went from barely being able to bench 135 for 1 set of 5 reps to benching 205 for 5 sets of 5 reps in that time frame. Can't give any kind of equivalent leg measurements because I am still recovering from an ACL tear but I can't even imagine what kind of gains someone with his frame could make given a proper diet and training regimen.
When I started college they still measured people in cubits and weighed them in stone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad