Prospect Info: 15th overall — C Dylan Larkin: Larkin signs 3 year entry deal

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
We are building a nightmare transition team.

They are drafting a lot like the Bruins have drafted. Players like Bergeron and Krejci that never were heralded as offensive stars, but two-way players. Both those guys were absolute gem 2nd round picks. I think people have caught on to start taking said players with those skillsets earlier.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
The Wings are on the Boston model people. They have elite wingers (or that is the position we hope is like that in the future) and what they have is horse two way center prospects.

Sheahan and Larkin have skill, but what they will allow is players to fly the zone, are incredible board guys and have positional sense that will drive other teams insane. We will see, but Larkin is a good pick and he fits the organizational thrust of speed. You don't worry about Sheahan or Larkin keeping pace with our wingers and that will be important finding centers that don't get stretched the same way most would with the aggressive pushes Nyquist, Tatar and Mantha are capable of, it is a little harder than most think even at the NHL level.

Well put. :yo:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
The Wings are on the Boston model people. They have elite wingers (or that is the position we hope is like that in the future) and what they have is horse two way center prospects.

Sheahan and Larkin have skill, but what they will allow is players to fly the zone, are incredible board guys and have positional sense that will drive other teams insane. We will see, but Larkin is a good pick and he fits the organizational thrust of speed. You don't worry about Sheahan or Larkin keeping pace with our wingers and that will be important finding centers that don't get stretched the same way most would with the aggressive pushes Nyquist, Tatar and Mantha are capable of, it is a little harder than most think even at the NHL level.

what do you mean with boston model?

i mean when benning was asked about the 'boston model' he said he doesn't know what that means.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I'd have gone with Fabbri, if it were me, but Kenneth obviously wants bigger guys these days. As it is, second-line centre is this guy's ceiling, and that's a maybe.

That's my optimistic take. Realistically, yeah, looks like a bust.

Maybe it was a bad idea to hire a head amateur scout from the freaking Blue Jackets.

Everybody looks like a bust until they play their first games. Larkin has just been picked, give him at least 3 years for him to be labeled a near bust. :shakehead

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
The likelihood of this team finding two franchise centers again without finishing at the bottom aren't good. As other's have already said, they're moving the team to be more defensive-focused with shutdown centers on every line and skill on the wing. Think St. Louis Blues or Minnesota Wild.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
This draft didn't have elite-level talent available after the top-6 and Tuch was what the Red Wings needed so they drafted him.gh:
wish we took tuch..... but check again. :D
Mackenzie and Button both had Fabbri ranked lower than Larkin. And the TSN panel was raving over Larkin, too...

not mackenzies actual ratings. its a conscenses rank based on scouts he talked too.

I admit I'm bitter right now.. check the other thread. I posted Larkin seemed too safe and he was one guy I did not want.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Yes, exactly. Thank you.

I'm glad there's a few of us that feel this way. It seems clear as day that's the plan. Depth and two-way players throughout the lineup. If the Wings stick to this plan, they are going to easily become one of the biggest pains in the ass in the entire conference for years.

They've got young scoring wingers, two-way centers, and a mix of puck movers and defensive defenders all under 25. This is the most optimistic about the Wings future I've been in years.

Alas, I'm still less optimistic about the coming year. But that's not what draft day is entirely about.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Yes, exactly. Thank you.

I'm glad there's a few of us that feel this way. It seems clear as day that's the plan. Depth and two-way players throughout the lineup. If the Wings stick to this plan, they are going to easily become one of the biggest pains in the ass in the entire conference for years.

They've got young scoring wingers, two-way centers, and a mix of puck movers and defensive defenders all under 25. This is the most optimistic about the Wings future I've been in years.

Alas, I'm still less optimistic about the coming year. But that's not what draft day is entirely about.

You can't build the "Boston model" without an elite defense to make the first pass and an elite goaltender.

J-Swift

Jan 5, 2006
I'd have gone with Fabbri, if it were me, but Kenneth obviously wants bigger guys these days. As it is, second-line centre is this guy's ceiling, and that's a maybe.

That's my optimistic take. Realistically, yeah, looks like a bust.

Maybe it was a bad idea to hire a head amateur scout from the freaking Blue Jackets.
Based on what exactly? Because his scouting report sounds somewhat like Ferraro's? Do you have any idea how many players in the draft are described as "fast, gritty, two-way forwards?"

Larkin was ranked 12 by Mackenzie, 14 by THN, and 15 by ISS. He went exactly where he should've. Nobody here's even seen him play.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Find it hilarious that a board that has said since he was in Grand Rapids if he just had hands about Helm flips out at the idea of drafting Helm with hands. I know health is now the bigger one but come on people.

He is 17, his ceiling is not a second line center. You can say it, but a kid that was second in goals while playing D first to free up a future franchise player to do his thing and taking that role with complete maturity is not bad.

I didn't like this draft, what they did get is an upside kid with NHL wheels that looks like a fit with the group and ideology of this team. Also the kind of kid that won't say boo and listen to how we want to develop him.

Push McCann's scoring pace, point to Fabbri on a team that blew the doors off anyone, I mean their best player at the Memorial Cup was a player this board went rip **** riot over us picking in the second round.

I get it, but a hard working kid with a skill that cannot be improved but when you find it elite at this age generally stays elite or goes to a phenomenal level. Two way centers aren't a bad idea in this league especially if you have game breaking players flanking them.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
You can't build the "Boston model" without an elite defense to make the first pass and an elite goaltender.

Imo, Julians system helps the players. I'm really not all that impressed with Boston's D. Besides Chara and Siedenberg, they're average.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
That's my point, Boston didn't build their team in a vacuum, they built it with the foundations in place. They had very good defense and goaltending, and from there they built a capable two way forward squad.

The consistent message has been that the Wings are really high on their defensive prospects. Blashill practically will not shut up about the topic.

and Mrazek is a solid shot at a great NHL goalie.

They are high on them, but none of them screams anything higher than 2nd pairing and PPQB. They don't have any blue chip defense prospects, and remember that defensemen have a long and hard learning curve and tend to peak much later than forwards. So again, without the defense in place building from the 'Boston model' makes no sense.

shultzyfeelinirie20

Jan 30, 2012
Michigan
im so happy the Wings drafted Dylan he lives 2 miles away from me and went to my high school i actually babysat him when he was younger we always played hockey in his driveway great kid hes got a bright future ahead of him

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
what do you mean with boston model?

i mean when benning was asked about the 'boston model' he said he doesn't know what that means.

You put responsible two way players that are heavy down the middle. Explosive wingers and puck moving D-man with some size. That is actually how we describe most of these players, do they hit that way? I don't know, but the Wings are going for size and speed. They are also trying to find it with the way they are picking, these guys usually have an elite tool. At 17 defensive awareness and a big + speed with a decent frame isn't bad. Second to goals with Eichel with a bum arm also is interesting.

But he has big time speed, when you draft in the teens or later, finding something that you say this guy maybe does better than his peers is a big deal, behind Ehlers most have talked about the speed factor with Larkin. Even as a Fabbri first guy in the build up, I think Larkin is intriguing and you can see the fit from a hockey standpoint and organizational outlook.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
That's my point, Boston didn't build their team in a vacuum, they built it with the foundations in place. They had very good defense and goaltending, and from there they built a capable two way forward squad.

Lemme know when a d-man like Chara hits the open market in the new cap/cba era. Or an idiotic team like Toronto trades a goalie like Rask.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Imo, Julians system helps the players. I'm really not all that impressed with Boston's D. Besides Chara and Siedenberg, they're average.

Hamilton and Krug are both intriguing players that should both be borderline top pairing guys soon. Hamilton will have a long, successful career barring significant injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad