Prospect Info: 156th overall: Vancouver selects Arturs Silovs (Goalie, Latvia ---> Barrie Colts)

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I think you give him DeSmith money 1.8m.

He's an RFA and it's a small sample size, so I think the Canucks have leverage here. I've said before and I'll re-iterate, I think he gets the Hogs/Podz treatment with a 2-year, 1-way deal in the $1M~ range per season. (which would be excellent value)

I myself wouldn't bat an eye going as high as DeSmith money, but I think he comes in lower.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He's an RFA and it's a small sample size, so I think the Canucks have leverage here. I've said before and I'll re-iterate, I think he gets the Hogs/Podz treatment with a 2-year, 1-way deal in the $1M~ range per season. (which would be excellent value)

I myself wouldn't bat an eye going as high as DeSmith money, but I think he comes in lower.

Yeah. He might be worth that $1.8M DeSmith money...but i really hope they can use that RFA leverage and small NHL sample size to shave that down to something more like a 2-year deal @ $1M per.

Prior to his playoffs...i think they could've potentially even locked him up for a couple years at under a million. It's hard to say just how much his playoffs will cost them though. Worth every penny of it, but it definitely handed him more leverage than he previously had.

Reactions: ayoshi

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I love the kid, but he put up a .898 in the playoffs at the end of the day(I haven’t checked his GSAA but I doubt it’s very high). Also had an unspectacular season in the AHL

Realistically his career trajectory is still nhl backup.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Watch the Canucks low ball him right out of town. A reminder that Demko got over 2 mil 5 years ago after 10 NHL games...

Yeah he got $2MM but it was over 2 years. 2 years at $1.05MM. Wouldn't be surprised to see something similar here.

I love the kid, but he put up a .898 in the playoffs at the end of the day(I haven’t checked his GSAA but I doubt it’s very high). Also had an unspectacular season in the AHL

It was -0.2 GSAx for the playoffs per MoneyPuck. So, gave us exactly average NHL goaltending , which is what we needed to keep chugging along, but needed an elite performance if we wanted to get even further.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
going screw stats pure vibes for a second here, but silovs clearly outplayed skinner while being on the side that conceded 40 more shots.

he made some potentially game changing saves against draisaitl, a top-5 shooter on earth, multiple times. the kind of goal that you usually concede a backup won't make.

i think he absolutely has the makeup to be an above average nhl starter.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
There are some concerns about Silovs' movement down low. He gets caught biting on many plays and gets woefully out of position which leads to open nets or him having to make those desperation saves.

Things that will likely be worked on and I have high hopes that Ian Clark can work his magic here.

Reactions: mossey3535

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver

He's done enough to be pretty confident that he can be a solid NHL backup, but he's still quite young so there's plenty of additional development potential.

At the same age, Demko had a pretty strong AHL season under his belt, but also had a -5.8 GSAx over 10 NHL games.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
He's done enough to be pretty confident that he can be a solid NHL backup, but he's still quite young so there's plenty of additional development potential.

At the same age, Demko had a pretty strong AHL season under his belt, but also had a -5.8 GSAx over 10 NHL games.
Demko had the more impressive pre-NHL career.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
There are some concerns about Silovs' movement down low. He gets caught biting on many plays and gets woefully out of position which leads to open nets or him having to make those desperation saves.

Things that will likely be worked on and I have high hopes that Ian Clark can work his magic here.
Hopefully they have a more even split throughout the season next year with Demko and the backup. Just the basic math to keep Demko under 55 starts means that it is a 55/27 split between him and Silovs. It can be anywhere from 50/32 to 55/27. Which is basically 2 straight starts for Demko before you put Silovs in. Or you give Silovs 2 straight starts at some point if Demko gets a run of 4 games.

And allow Clark to work with the goalies. Question is who is the 3rd goalie for next season? Is Topiala ready for that in the event someone goes down for 3-4 weeks? Basically has to give you like 3 /4 starts in a month if needed. Guess that depends on both who would play in the A and where Ty Young is at. He got replaced by a 2025 draft eligible goalie in PG during the PO.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
It's clear he has talent, and we got an early peek at his composure under pressure. Still lots of work to be done though. Looks likely that he'll make the NHL as a backup for some time, but he needs to take a few steps forward to be a good NHL starter. I wasn't impressed with his play, but I was impressed with *some* of his play, if that makes sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad