#15 - Fatal 4 Way Tie-breaker - Théodore 02 vs Lidstrom 01 vs Bure 00 vs Brodeur 97

What’s the 15th best season of the DPE?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
Poll results

1. Jagr (1998-99)
2. Hasek (1996-97)
3. Sakic (2000-01)
4. Hasek (1997-98)
5. Hasek (1998-99)
6. Lemieux (1996-97)
7. Jagr (2000-01)
8. Lemieux (2000-01)
9. Jagr (1999-00)
10. Pronger (1999-00)
11. Forsberg (2002-03)
12. St.Louis (2003-04)
13. Iginla (2001-02)
14. Jagr (1997-98)

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Theodore over Brodeur seems like an easy case

Hart and Vezina winner vs 4th and 2nd place. Better sv% plus gsaa.

Brodeur played on the much better team. Much better players too - full of superstars or future hall of famers - most of them in their primes.

Theodore willed a really weak Montreal roster to the playoffs. Brodeur had a good season behind a team notorious for trapping full of hall of fame talent, starting with Stevens and Neidermeyer on D

TheGuiminator

Oct 23, 2018
Theodore over Brodeur seems like an easy case

Hart and Vezina winner vs 4th and 2nd place. Better sv% plus gsaa.

Brodeur played on the much better team. Much better players too - full of superstars or future hall of famers - most of them in their primes.

Theodore willed a really weak Montreal roster to the playoffs. Brodeur had a good season behind a team notorious for trapping full of hall of fame talent, starting with Stevens and Neidermeyer on D

I feel like Theodore’s 2002 season was a result of a huge momentum boost, nothing more. I get that he carried an average team to the playoffs, but he never came close to play at that level again. Hell, I don’t even think he was the best goalie in the league in 2002 (Roy was the best imo). While this poll is about best single season only, I can understand why you choose Theo ‘02, but to me, the fact that it was an outlier in his career played in my perceptions.

Brodeur 1996-97 season was arguably the best of an non-Vézina winner. It just happened to be during Hasek’s all-time great season. It would have been a Vézina worthy season on any given season. It’s like having Lemieux scoring 199 pts the same year Gretzky scored 215.

Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Theodore in 2002 was good, but it remains one of the more overrated seasons.

Roy for example was arguably better and Theodore also had no business winning the Hart, especially over Iginla.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I feel like Theodore’s 2002 season was a result of a huge momentum boost, nothing more. I get that he carried an average team to the playoffs, but he never came close to play at that level again. Hell, I don’t even think he was the best goalie in the league in 2002 (Roy was the best imo). While this poll is about best single season only, I can understand why you choose Theo ‘02, but to me, the fact that it was an outlier in his career played in my perceptions.

Brodeur 1996-97 season was arguably the best of an non-Vézina winner. It just happened to be during Hasek’s all-time great season. It would have been a Vézina worthy season on any given season. It’s like having Lemieux scoring 199 pts the same year Gretzky scored 215.

I agree that momentum and emotions were probably big components of Theodores success that year. Its also clearly an outlier for him vs rest of his career. Why do either of these things matter though?

We're comparing season to season and Theodore's was better statistically, he has more awards to show for it (and the value of a Hart for a goalie shouldnt be understated), and he was on the weaker team with weaker team defense. Seems like a slam dunk to me.

Even if Brodeur wins the Vezina in 97 (and he does without Hasek) - he wasnt close to the Hart, was a clear 4th.

TheGuiminator

Oct 23, 2018
I agree that momentum and emotions were probably big components of Theodores success that year. Its also clearly an outlier for him vs rest of his career. Why do either of these things matter though?

We're comparing season to season and Theodore's was better statistically, he has more awards to show for it (and the value of a Hart for a goalie shouldnt be understated), and he was on the weaker team with weaker team defense. Seems like a slam dunk to me.

Even if Brodeur wins the Vezina in 97 (and he does without Hasek) - he wasnt close to the Hart, was a clear 4th.

Like I said, they don’t really matter, but they change my perception when it comes to evaluate his 2002 season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad