Line Combos: 15-16 Hurricane Line Combos

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I think a significant part of both the Terry deal and the Jordan deal is to send the message to Charlotte that if you work hard and pay the right way, then you'll be rewarded. Neither deal is terrible and, like was said, I'm guessing the brain trust sees something that we don't.

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
Sens fan in peace. No one sees Tolchinsky making the team? I know he's small but he looks great to me.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Sens fan in peace. No one sees Tolchinsky making the team? I know he's small but he looks great to me.

There's a chance. Carolina's right wing depth is pretty bad, and he is able to play on the right side. I'd absolutely love to see the kid break out, ever since that prospects camp two years ago I'm like I want to see him succeed.

Watched his highlights from the Traverse City game on Saturday, and the kid looks remarkable. Heard he had another fantastic game tonight. I do think personally for his development he should maybe split at least half the season in Charlotte, get him comfortable to the physicality & speed in the professional game. I think he easily has the hands of an NHL sniper/playmaker already, I'm just very curious to see how his overall 200ft game has developed. I personally think it's only a matter of time that he is gonna figure it out and will be an NHL player! It may just be right out of training camp.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.

There are still questions about how well he handles the length and physicality of a pro season. He seems to have really improved his play away from the puck since last year, and there's really no question that his hands and offensive instincts are more than NHL caliber. I personally think there's a decent chance he makes the team out of the gate, and even if he doesn't, he'll get at least a look during the season.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

There are still questions about how well he handles the length and physicality of a pro season. He seems to have really improved his play away from the puck since last year, and there's really no question that his hands and offensive instincts are more than NHL caliber. I personally think there's a decent chance he makes the team out of the gate, and even if he doesn't, he'll get at least a look during the season.

I think it's a combination of things as to why we, as fans, aren't penciling him in. First, as Jeff says, there are questions about how well he'll handle the pro game and although he's improved his game away from the puck, we really don't know how well he'll do defensively against NHL caliber opponents. We'll start to get a better flavor of that in training camp, but that still may not be telling enough. From what I've seen though, his speed, hands, instincts and overall offensive talent "appear" to be NHL caliber. With Peters, I think the speed aspect is key, so that will be in Tolchinsky's favor, as he can do the things he does at a fast pace.

Secondly, we, as fans have historically "penciled' prospects into our line-ups in previous season based on Junior / pre-season hype only to find out we were way too optimistic. Given Francis's mantra of "draft and develop", I think (at least for me), that I'm hesitant to put young guys into any proposed line-ups unless they are very top end guys, like Hanifin. Lastly, during the rookie camp, Peters, in an interview stated he thought Tolchinsky should start in the AHL. Now, obviously his position can change between then and the start of the season, but it's still worth noting what the coaches thoughts were at the time.

It's going to be fun to watch him develop over the next few years. The guy probably has more overall offensive skill than any prospect we've seen in a long time (except for maybe Skinner, who has a different type of talent in that he's a more natural goal scorer). Personally, I want the organization to go slowly with him and bring him along at the right pace. I'm not sure what that pace is and I know the Canes are dying for talent in our forward ranks, but if there are any concerns, put him in the AHL and let him get his feet wet.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I just looked and it's mostly the star players that are offered (right now, at least). For some comparison, Giroux is 80.5, Kessel is 78.5, and both Sedins are 68.5/69.5.

Are there any Canes listed? If so, what are the numbers? I have to imagine they are all pretty low based on last season.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Nah the Sedins were the lowest offered and there were only about 10 that I could find in about 5 different books. Others were Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos, some other guys like that that I can't remember, and Vrbata and Monahan for goals.

The only Hurricanes thing that I can find is that they are 100-1 to win the Stanley Cup, ahead of only Arizona, and tied with Buffalo and Toronto.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Anyone that's watched him play a bit, is Tolchinsky basically Tyler Johnson -toughness +skill? The more I hear from him, the more I like him, just wondering what the comparable would be.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I just looked and it's mostly the star players that are offered (right now, at least). For some comparison, Giroux is 80.5, Kessel is 78.5, and both Sedins are 68.5/69.5.

You'd have to be some kind of stupid to bet the over on a season long point total unless the # is remarkably low. One injury that keeps a guy out a month and you're done.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Anyone that's watched him play a bit, is Tolchinsky basically Tyler Johnson -toughness +skill? The more I hear from him, the more I like him, just wondering what the comparable would be.

Maybe a young Sergei Samonov?

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
You'd have to be some kind of stupid to bet the over on a season long point total unless the # is remarkably low. One injury that keeps a guy out a month and you're done.

If you were correct, then everybody would get rich betting the under. The line has to factor in the likelihood of injury.

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
Long term do you think Rask is the #2C? I could see it I guess, but I always envisioned him as a great #3C.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Pretty much. They want to set it up so there's an equal amount of bets on both sides. Generally, that's why you'll find odds of -105 or something similar on either option. If you have odds like that, and equal bets, it ensures a small profit for the house.

Looking now, 5 of the 10 options are -101 or worse for both sides. 4 unders are +103 or higher (Tavares, Crosby, Benn, Giroux). The only underdog over is Kessel's 78.5.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
For some reason, Tolchinsky reminds me a lot of Max Afinogenov.

That's exactly what I was thinking (as opposed to Samsonov). For me, I think it's because Samsonov, although very skilled, was much more deliberate with the puck and shifty, but never "seemed" to play with speed. Late in his career, it almost was maddening.

When I think of Afinogenov, I think of speed, mixed with skill. From what I see from Tolchinsky, I see many of the same traits. He plays at a high pace and is able to use his skill at that pace.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
If you were correct, then everybody would get rich betting the under. The line has to factor in the likelihood of injury.

I'm just saying that by betting the over you need the player to both perform well AND not get hurt. If you bet the over on Jordan Staal last year in September your money was gone before opening night.

As an aside, I think gambling in general isn't the wisest thing to do. I understand why people do it for sure, but if you're hoping to make money regularly....good luck.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I need a comparable for a guy I've watched, can't say I paid much attention to Afinogenov :) I'd take another Thamthanov though.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Based on the Group Breakdowns posted for Training Camp the day 1 lines will look someone like this:

Skinner-Rask-Lindholm
Gerbe-Jstaal-Versteeg
Terry-EStaal-Nestrasil
Nordstrom-McClement-McGinn
Malone-Nash-Woods
Karlsson-Ryan-Boychuk
Tolchinsky-Wallmark-Hensick

Jordan-Faulk
Hanifin-Wiz(or Murphy)
Hainsey-Pesce
Liles-Biega
Fluery-McKewon

Something like that. These are obviously going to change after probably a week anyway.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Anyone know when they make the first cuts, I forget? I'm hoping that I can see Daniel Altshuller & Slavin again at the signing session to see if they remember me and my friend haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad