Line Combos: 15-16 Hurricane Line Combos

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Anyone know when they make the first cuts, I forget? I'm hoping that I can see Daniel Altshuller & Slavin again at the signing session to see if they remember me and my friend haha.

Charlotte doesn't usually open their training camp until around 9/28, so that would be the earliest they cut anyone who isn't headed straight back to juniors.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
That JStaal line has me a bit intrigued. They should be able to handle the toughest matchups each night, while still opening them up to counter offensively. Blah blah Gerbe overslotted blah blah.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
That JStaal line has me a bit intrigued. They should be able to handle the toughest matchups each night, while still opening them up to counter offensively. Blah blah Gerbe overslotted blah blah.

I'm sure some of this is by design to see what they're dealing with line combos and everything, but Faulk isn't playing with Jordan when the season opens so it's obviously not something to get to worked up over.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Oh no I realize that, just not sure if I had seen or thought of that line composition before, but I think I like it on paper.

Caniac125330

Jul 13, 2011
North Carolina
Peters said today at state of the Canes prior to the Red-White game that E. Staal-J.Staal-Versteeg will be a line against Washington tomorrow. I think that could be a really good line. Versteeg is a crafty player and the Staals should open up a lot of space for him.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
What is the expected 7 d-men suiting up for the canes this season? Does Rasmus Rissanen have a chance to crack the starting roster this season?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
What is the expected 7 d-men suiting up for the canes this season? Does Rasmus Rissanen have a chance to crack the starting roster this season?

Hainsey, Liles, Wisniewski, Faulk, Jordan and Hanifin are all but locks so that means there is 1 spot available. My "guess" is the last spot will be Murphy, but Pesce or Biega may sneak in there instead if they show more at camp / pre-season.

Although anything can happen with a great camp, I don't think Rissanen will make it out of camp, especially with Hainsey, Hanifin, Jordan and Liles already on the left side.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010

Hainsey-Faulk
Hanifin-Wisniewski
Liles-Murphy
Jordan

Personally, I'd switch Liles and Hainsey; but this is the most popular prediction.

Zezima

Jul 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Skinner-E. Staal-Ryan
Rask-J. Staal-Lindholm
Gerbe-Nash-Versteeg
Malone-McClement-Nestrasil

I'd like to try this tomorrow. Ryan is a competent, exciting player whose skill may be able to energize Skinner and Staal. This way Skinner isn't playing on his off side with the two Staals and our depth is more equally dispersed. Putting Versteeg with Gerbe and Nash at their best should be an actually passable third line.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I posted this in the training camp thread, but probably goes better here:

Per Chip, Line-ups for next 2 games.

Game 1
Staal-Rask-Lindholm
Versteeg-Nash-Skinner
Malone-McClement-Terry
Woods-Ryan-Nordstrom

Hainsey-Faulk
Hanifin-Murphy
Fleury-Jordan

Lack, McIntyre (splitting time)

Game 2:
Gerbe-JStaal-Nestrasil
Versteeg-Nash-Skinner
McGinn-McClement-Terry
PDG-Sutter-Tolchinsky

Liles-Wiz
Slavin-Murphy
Carrick-Pesce

Ward, Lack (Ward to get whole game)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPwbDjFWUAAeOtb.jpg

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
Is it 100% sure that Hanifin stays in NHL all season long? And if he does is he getting PP time? Answers would be greatly appriciated. And best of luck for the season !

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
not guaranteed, he could be dropped to AHL whenever if he doesn't look great

as of now though he will be in the NHL probably on the 2nd pairing and probably not getting much PP time since we have faulk, wiz, and murphy

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
I think it's time to move Skinner up to one of the top 2 lines and see what happens. He is wasted on 3rd line IMO.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Yeah, I think the 2nd line / 3rd line distinction is a bit meaningless, especially in this case as the 2 lines will be used differently (offense vs. defense). I think the amount of ice time will probably be determined by game situations.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I am glad to see Lindholm in the middle though. It would be good to see him there for an extended period.

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI
I may be the only one, but I'm fed up with this "Jordan Staal shut down line" bs. It's time to start playing guys where they are going to succeed the most with the talents they have. This shut down line has been going on ever since Jordan came here and what has it done for us, nothing. If that line is considered our second, but getting TOI as a third line, what the hell are we doing? If we wanted a shut down third line, why didn't we just keep sutter and then find someone else to fill that 2C role, that trade didn't have to happen and it set us back...again. We need production out of these guys and we should try something like this:

Eric-Jordan-Versteeg
Skinner-Rask-Lindholm
Gerbe-Nash/Nesty-Terry
Malone-McClement-Nordstrom

Top players need to produce and to do that we need to put the best skill set around them. Hainsey shouldn't even be on the top line, Hanifin is clearly our second best defenseman. I wish they would put him up there, but it's too early for that. Anyways, they need to stop dragging this shut down line out, Jordan has played like **** so far and it's time he starts getting offensive shifts new partners that can actually score. We all saw what he can do in Pittsburgh with nobodies, but it hasn't worked out here production wise. Put him on the first line and hopefully Eric gets his head out of his ass and starts giving a damn too.

In all reality, we are not a good team, so it's all about patience. We won't be competitive till another 2 or 3 years down the road. It's gonna be a bumpy road ahead.

End rant, probably rambled on, but you get the picture.

Highway29

Don dun well?
Mar 20, 2013
I may be the only one, but I'm fed up with this "Jordan Staal shut down line" bs. It's time to start playing guys where they are going to succeed the most with the talents they have. This shut down line has been going on ever since Jordan came here and what has it done for us, nothing. If that line is considered our second, but getting TOI as a third line, what the hell are we doing? If we wanted a shut down third line, why didn't we just keep sutter and then find someone else to fill that 2C role, that trade didn't have to happen and it set us back...again. We need production out of these guys and we should try something like this:

Eric-Jordan-Versteeg
Skinner-Rask-Lindholm
Gerbe-Nash/Nesty-Terry
Malone-McClement-Nordstrom

Top players need to produce and to do that we need to put the best skill set around them. Hainsey shouldn't even be on the top line, Hanifin is clearly our second best defenseman. I wish they would put him up there, but it's too early for that. Anyways, they need to stop dragging this shut down line out, Jordan has played like **** so far and it's time he starts getting offensive shifts new partners that can actually score. We all saw what he can do in Pittsburgh with nobodies, but it hasn't worked out here production wise. Put him on the first line and hopefully Eric gets his head out of his ass and starts giving a damn too.

In all reality, we are not a good team, so it's all about patience. We won't be competitive till another 2 or 3 years down the road. It's gonna be a bumpy road ahead.

End rant, probably rambled on, but you get the picture.

You're right about the offensive lines. Maybe Staal brothers would light each other on fire.

I'd go with

Eric - Jordan - Versteeg
Skinner - Rask - Lindholm
Gerbe - Ryan/Nash - Terry
Malone - McClement - Nestrasil

Highway29

Don dun well?
Mar 20, 2013
This would be the only Hurricanes-based action worth paying for right now.

But only if they're literally lighting each other on fire.

I know it sounds unlikely but maybe giving Jordan 1st line responsibilities gives some extra boost...

I'm just tired of losing..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad