Golf: 148th Open Championship

Jan 3, 2012
looks like im gunna watch this snoozefest cause i didnt get any sleep so wont be productive with school

good job tommy coulda got within 3 thru 1 and you bogey

why did ya do that?

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
It's times like this where I wish the PGA was still in August, so that we at least wouldn't have to wait another year for the next chance to make up for this snoozefest.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Couldn’t imagine waiting in line for a seat while stand in mud like that

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's times like this where I wish the PGA was still in August, so that we at least wouldn't have to wait another year for the next chance to make up for this snoozefest.

This is all because of the schedule change. I don't know why the majors have to be so condensed, and why everything revolves around the Fed Ex Cup Playoffs.

I think the majors should be more spread out. The PGA should be held in October, and the Open should be held in August. That way, the majors would be every two months.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
This is a crazy level of golf being played right now by both players. No one else is better than -7.

In general the open is like the masters in that some players will never win it no matter how good they are. The reasons are different. The masters is more course specific while the open is largely weather related. I don’t see Brooks as a guy who can ever win this major unless he gets 3 or 4 days of very good weather

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
In general the open is like the masters in that some players will never win it no matter how good they are. The reasons are different. The masters is more course specific while the open is largely weather related. I don’t see Brooks as a guy who can ever win this major unless he gets 3 or 4 days of very good weather

Ridiculous take. Almost all opinions that say 'player X can't win at event Y' are just as dumb as 'you can't win the Cup with player Z on your team'.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
brooks koepka has finished top 10 in the open championship 3 times in the past 5 years. his putting is what did him in in this tournament.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
No other way around it. Awful to end the majors season with Woodland and Lowry winning. We didn't have one of these major winners until the last two of the decade. I guess you could argue Willett/Schwartzel/Dufner/Bradley were worse, but I don't think so.

Willett's fallen off, but he was 12th at the time of his victory and one of the best up and coming players at age 28. He reached a high of 9th. Dufner was up to 7th in the world the year before his major win, and outside of winning one of the four big events in 2013 as opposed to 2012, he was probably a better player in 2012. For about a three year stretch, Dufner was a formidable player.

Bradley was similar to Willett, but without the OWGR ranking going into that year. Bradley started out 2011 at 328 in the world, and ended at 29. He then reached as high as 12 the next year and eventually 10. He's fallen off, but Bradley for a 2-3 year stretch was one of the best up and coming golfers in the world at 25. Schwartzel was also an up and coming player. 26 years old at the time of his win with 6 European Tour wins. Schwartzel rose to 6th in the world at one point and also won twice 4 years in a row at one point.

Lowry's career high ranking is 17. Woodland's is 12 right now after his win. Lowry is 32, Woodland is 35. Does anyone think they reach the top 10 in their careers? I think this is probably their peak. And I guess its close between those two and the other four, so its not a big difference in caliber, but at least Dufner was really good for a few years and at least Willett, Bradley and Schwartzel accomplished what they did as up and coming golfers. They just never panned out past the major win. Them accomplishing what they did added prestige, considering it was considered that they could improve and be among the best golfers in the world. Lowry and Woodland are middle of the road in their prime guys that hit their career week two majors in a row. These aren't Ben Curtis at St. George's style winners, but they are very boring major winners.

It's long been thought that we've avoided these winners for so many years because of how strong the fields have become that the best have made sure it wouldn't happen in the four biggest events, but now we've seen two in a row where it has. I know some disagree, but I think this is distinctly bad for golf when these types win.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Went from 2nd to last group to 4th to last overall.

Those who played towards the end today got by far the worst of the conditions this week, and there are probably many instances of players finishing way lower than players they played better than this week because they played in awful conditions and those who played worse played in better conditions.

That's just one of the few bad things that occasionally will happen at this tournament. Sometimes the final leaderboard is influenced by who played in what conditions more than other events. The year that Mickelson and Stenson finished so far ahead of everyone at Troon was a year where their side of the Round 1 and 2 draw got much better conditions. We'll never know if someone else in that field was playing well enough to contend in that event because the weather cut that field in half.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad