Prospect Info: #141 RW Petr Hauser - HC Sparta Praha in Czech Republic

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
So a big player who can score and has zip to his game but he is only ranked as the 100th best player among European draft eligibles so maybe that puts him in the 225-250 range overall? Is he a terrible skater? Is he illiterate? Does he have a peg leg? Something doesn’t add up about either the scouting or the ranking. I don’t doubt NJ found him by watching Malek or maybe the same scout found him so he’s got some pull with the team.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
So a big player who can score and has zip to his game but he is only ranked as the 100th best player among European draft eligibles so maybe that puts him in the 225-250 range overall? Is he a terrible skater? Is he illiterate? Does he have a peg leg? Something doesn’t add up about either the scouting or the ranking. I don’t doubt NJ found him by watching Malek or maybe the same scout found him so he’s got some pull with the team.

He played in Czech junior, that's a big strike against him - you'd want someone his age, old for his draft year, playing in a men's league. He was loaned to a team in the second division but did not do well - I have to imagine part of that was that he didn't get any ice time.

So yeah, he beat up on that league, and it looks like his team was absurdly dominant, but yeah the guys that go to the NHL from countries like this are usually playing against men.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
He played in Czech junior, that's a big strike against him - you'd want someone his age, old for his draft year, playing in a men's league. He was loaned to a team in the second division but did not do well - I have to imagine part of that was that he didn't get any ice time.

So yeah, he beat up on that league, and it looks like his team was absurdly dominant, but yeah the guys that go to the NHL from countries like this are usually playing against men.
Fair enough. Small sample size but he did score in his couple of Second Division playoff games. I'll trust the scout who found Malek saw something he liked in him, enough that they grabbed him in the fifth instead of the seventh.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
I don't hate the pick, but I don't really expect him to be an NHLer either. In all fairness I think the odds are against almost everyone taken after the 2nd round. I'll be honest I didn't realize he had an early birthday, he's only 10 days younger than Luke. I like the size and his junior production is pretty good for 5th round pick, but it would be a lot more impressive if he was younger. But the Czech U20 league is not as bad as some make it seem though, it's mostly dominated by 19 and (soon to be) 20 year olds and even has promising prospects like Eduard Sale ('23 draft). I'm expecting hoping Hauser to make the Czech U20 WJC team, so we should get a better view if there's anything here.

Last edited:

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I don't hate the pick, but I don't really expect him to be an NHLer either. In all fairness I think the odds are against almost everyone taken after the 2nd round. I'll be honest I didn't realize he had an early birthday, he's only 10 days younger than Luke. I like the size and his junior production is pretty good for 5th round pick, but it would be a lot more impressive if he was younger. But the Czech U20 league is not as bad as some make it seem though, it's mostly dominated by 19 and (soon to be) 20 year olds and even has promising prospects like Eduard Sale ('23 draft). I'm expecting hoping Hauser to make the Czech U20 WJC team, so we should get a better view if there's anything here.

Zacha was putting up a point a game in the Czech U20 league at 15, now I know he is a special talent, but you are right that it's dominated by 19 and 20 year olds... who don't come anywhere close to having NHL careers. For instance, the leading scorer on Zacha's 2012-13 U20 team split his season as a 1st line player between Slovakia and the German 2nd division last year, and the 3rd leading scorer has spent his career in the Czech 2nd division. These are the things I expect to see. It would not surprise me if teams barely scout the Czech U20s, and it appears none of Czechia's WJC team spent any significant time there this year. I would not be surprised if he does not make the WJC team in 2023.

I would expect Eduard Sale to be playing in the men's top division next year, and given that he put up over 2 points a game in the U20 league this year, I suspect he shouldn't've been there this year,

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Zacha was putting up a point a game in the Czech U20 league at 15, now I know he is a special talent, but you are right that it's dominated by 19 and 20 year olds... who don't come anywhere close to having NHL careers. For instance, the leading scorer on Zacha's 2012-13 U20 team split his season as a 1st line player between Slovakia and the German 2nd division last year, and the 3rd leading scorer has spent his career in the Czech 2nd division. These are the things I expect to see. It would not surprise me if teams barely scout the Czech U20s, and it appears none of Czechia's WJC team spent any significant time there this year. I would not be surprised if he does not make the WJC team in 2023.

I would expect Eduard Sale to be playing in the men's top division next year, and given that he put up over 2 points a game in the U20 league this year, I suspect he shouldn't've been there this year,

Zacha was also a 6OA pick while Hauser is a 5th round, so a bit unfair comparison. If he was producing over 2.0ppg he would have went way earlier. Like I said I don't expect him to be an NHLer either, unless he makes huge improvements. He was listed into the Czech U20 team last December, obviously not all of them get to play, but I think there's a chance he makes the team.

Reactions: Guttersniped

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Hauser is below average in his skating in my opinion. This will have to be improved greatly for Hauser to make the NHL. In the 5th round, I don't think it's a terrible thing to go for a clear area of organizational need (interior forwards) and have to cross your fingers for such an eventuality.

I mean, Hauser's problematic skating is probably still a bit better than Samu Salminen, whom the Devils reached for in the 3rd round last year. This was a much, much stronger draft -- Hauser was probably the most questionable pick, and for value he still ranks ahead of recent picks like Salminen, Stillman, Hurtig, Vilen, Shlaine and Baumgartner.

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
The Finnish league's preseason begins in a week, and he's almost certainly already with his professional team now.
Well I'm sure Finnland and other nations have players that play in their top leagues and are going to play at WJC.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Well I'm sure Finnland and other nations have players that play in their top leagues and are going to play at WJC.

I'm sure they do also, but I'm sure a lot of other players are skipping the tournament. We already know Slafkovsky and Nemec aren't going for Slovakia and that Holtz is not playing for Sweden. The tournament is at a very weird time of year and I don't blame players who would rather stick with their routine.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

I’m sure Liiga teams are very cool as their Finnish players go play for their very popular National team but Malek’s not Finnish and Liiga is a huge new challenge for him.

And yes, non-Finns skaters in Liiga might go too but you have to think about your pro career and these aren’t your home clubs.

Malek got to play on U20 team during the cancelled U20 in Dec in part because Nick Malik wouldn’t take time off from his first season in the Liiga for it.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Why isn't Malek in the team? Too old?

Not to take this thread off-topic but Czechia chose all three goalies from the players already playing in North America. I'd imagine Suchanek is number three with the intention of being ready for the 2023 tournament.

At this point Malek may also be behind Nick Malik - who had a strong season in the Finnish men's league - among the 2002 goalies for Czechia.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Not to take this thread off-topic but Czechia chose all three goalies from the players already playing in North America. I'd imagine Suchanek is number three with the intention of being ready for the 2023 tournament.

At this point Malek may also be behind Nick Malik - who had a strong season in the Finnish men's league - among the 2002 goalies for Czechia.

Nick Malik already turned down the U20 in December, but Malek declined this one too.

8EFFA86F-072F-4284-A9AD-FD010CC44B0C.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad