Prospect Info: #140 OA - Center - Chase Pearson, USHL

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

From the Blackbook

"He is a good size forward that is raw with the skills and thought process. He might have upside although there are times he just doesn’t see the play develop so questionable hockey IQ. He does not seem to have the skill sets to make the little plays and passes that lead to bigger scoring opportunities. His skating and
shooting are average and nothing too much really excites you enough in his game. He is uncommitted to any NCAA school and although might be some offers, not sure it might be more of lack of then deciding where."

Although I am not wild about taking a goalie, this is the one pick that really doesn't sit well with me.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I've played against the Atlanta Fire (the team he used to play for) and while I like that I might have met him, him playing there makes me doubt any NHL future. I was pretty good compared to the pretty bad players here, but no one playing in GA has an NHL future. Making to the NHL isn't even a consideration at all. The best leagues are all men's leagues for washed up guys that played in the Q 20 years ago.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
This seems to make no sense going by his write up. Which means he'll probably be the steal of the draft or something.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
From the Blackbook

"He is a good size forward that is raw with the skills and thought process. He might have upside although there are times he just doesn’t see the play develop so questionable hockey IQ. He does not seem to have the skill sets to make the little plays and passes that lead to bigger scoring opportunities. His skating and
shooting are average and nothing too much really excites you enough in his game. He is uncommitted to any NCAA school and although might be some offers, not sure it might be more of lack of then deciding where."

Although I am not wild about taking a goalie, this is the one pick that really doesn't sit well with me.

- Questionable hockey IQ
- Does not seem to have the skill sets to make the little plays and passes that lead to bigger scoring opportunities.
- Skating and shooting are average
- Nothing too much really excites you enough in his game.

Wow. Thats a resounding review. :laugh:

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
- Questionable hockey IQ
- Does not seem to have the skill sets to make the little plays and passes that lead to bigger scoring opportunities.
- Skating and shooting are average
- Nothing too much really excites you enough in his game.

Wow. Thats a resounding review. :laugh:

I...I don't know. Maybe they turned in the wrong name? Is there another draft eligible player named Chase Pearson? :help:

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Hopefully the Wings have something nice to say about this kid. Doesn't seem like anyone else does. Must have seen something that they liked though.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Pronman said he had size and skill, questions on defense and skating with some though Pronman didn't think so when he saw him.

We all know he really dislikes minimal skill players so those looking for a positive word on Pearson, if he was the outright mucker being described in some of these posts I think Pronman would have gone after him a little more.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Does sound a lot like him. But remember when we thought he had some potential for a hot minute? Haha oh man.

Don't remember that... I was waiting Aubry to be our own Gaustad, but that did never happen.

But our 4th line has been on great shape thanks to different guys, from Draper to Helm to Glendening.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
ive seen two other write-ups where it says the opposite of his questionable hockey-IQ and actually said its a strong trait and not a flaw.. anyone seen him enough to comment?

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
future considerations also listed him as "sleeper" in their draft guide.

"Chase Pearson, son of former NHLer Scott Pearson, plays a pretty
simplistic game for Youngstown of the USHL, using his good size (6’3â€)
and determination to make an impact. He is a big gangly player with
solid but unspectacular skating ability. He doesn’t show the purest of
hands; although, he can finish and play the crash and bang game. He
has no problem driving to the net and jamming home a rebound and
contributes with some nice work on the cycle. We can see some pretty
decent raw potential here, albeit, he is very limited offensively. We do
not have him ranked in our top 210 but he still looks like he could be an
OK long-term project type of pick for later in the draft."

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I appreciate the attempt Henkka, there is a nice article on The Athletic in regards to Pearson who it sounds like will be turning pro perhaps and sign soon. I like him as a player, he is a fourth line checking center to me it is between him and Gallant as I can't see both. I think Pearson has more upside personally.

It was very encouraging to hear how much his coach loves this kid and how hard he works at all aspects of his game for sure. I have always though of him as one of our best dark horses, hopefully he can become something.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
He’s not going to make his hay as a scoring forward at the next level and, with the number of potential fourth-line centers in the Red Wings organization, he’ll probably need to do something to separate himself if he wants to make the NHL. But Pearson’s college career has been defined by his willingness to improve and play an all-around game, and those are traits that tend to endear players to organizations.

Sounds a lot like Glendening to me. Otherwise, doesn't really seem like we need to sign him if he is just going to be a "meh" player with no real redeeming hockey skills besides "listens to the coaches".

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Sounds a lot like Glendening to me. Otherwise, doesn't really seem like we need to sign him if he is just going to be a "meh" player with no real redeeming hockey skills besides "listens to the coaches".

Pearson has almost 2x the PPG Glendening had in the NCAA.

Last edited:

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga

I think there's value in having a cost controlled 4th liner, you just have to be willing to let them go in FA should they ask for more than they're worth. I do think he's somewhat redundant with players like Ehn/Turgeron/De La Rose but he'd be waiver exempt, unlike the latter 3, for a while and would give us cheap depth. We may as well sign him and see if he can't surprise in pro hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad