GDT: #14| New York Islanders @ Arizona Coyotes | November 8th 8:00 PM | F/W 1-0

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Wow.

Kulemin Tavares Okposo - I thought Tavares played quite well tonight. He had a lot of good looks and seemed to be forcing less things tonight. Okposo looked solid as well. Kulemin, I don't mind him on the top line, but I don't love him there. He isn't a finisher and doesn't pass well enough to stay there permanently...but I still love his game and want him reunited with Nielsen and Grabovski.

Grabovski Nielsen Clutterbuck - I really thought this line was pretty good tonight, especially Clutterbuck who was active all night. Great to see Frans get the winner from Grabovski at the end.

Lee Nelson Strome - This line can just play. Strome is becoming more comfortable and is really asserting himself out there. Nelson is just dominant in all phases of the game. Lee really puts in a great effort every night, and he works really well on the wall still. He hasn't produced offensively as much as some thought he might, but he's still very effective.

Martin Cizikas Boulton - I like this line partially because Conacher isn't on it and partially because Capuano isn't using them the way he used to. Minimizing their ice time is very important, especially late in the game, and we've seen that in the past three games. They are fine when utilized like this.

Hickey Vis - Played quite well. Vis had some great moments tonight, still very fluid with the puck and the play. Hickey is like a Vis clone for me, except probably slightly better defensively and a little less offensively gifted.

de Haan Hamonic - I thought Hamonic played a fantastic game tonight. He was physical when he needed to be, jumped up just enough offensively, and just was solid all around. de Haan put in another good performance. He got caught once or twice with his spin move at the top of our own circles, but overall played very well.

Leddy Strait - Leddy is a gamer and is so good you don't notice him. He does a lot offensively and defensively that is just so smooth you don't realize how good it is. Strait looked nice tonight, and this is how I envision his use (last minute when someone can't go). He's not an everyday player, but good enough to fill in. Dumb penalty at the end of the game though.

Halak - Shutout. Calm and collected. No scary moments at all tonight. Need I say more?

PP - Thought they were too cute at times. Hated, hated, hated Tavares carrying the puck in and turning it over near the end of the game. I even said to myself, "this isn't going to go well" right when it was passed to Tavares. They had some nice looks and Smith made some nice saves. Not upset or happy about the PP tonight, it was just okay.

PK - Fantastic, again. One or two scary moments, but who doesn't have that on the PK? Capuano is using quicker and smarter players on the PK now. Nelson and Strome both read plays very well and are quick enough to put pressure on the opposition at the blue line, which has helped the PK immensely. Being good on the PK isn't just about speed, it's about being able to read the play, be quick enough to react, and be strong enough to control the puck when it does get near you. We saw that tonight out of Nelson and Strome. Clutterbuck was also very good on the kill tonight.

I think this was the team's second best performance of the season. This game wasn't as physical as the one against the Kings and I don't know that the Coyotes have the same firepower that the Kings have at ES, but it was a great team game all around. We see what happens when they focus on clogging the neutral zone as the defensive strategy, instead of forechecking hard. They need to keep playing this style.

Good, accurate run down. Especially agree about Leddy. When not leading the rush or shooting from the point Leddy seems to get overlooked for his defensive play. But he is very solid in his own zone, strong along the walls and behind the net. Leddy battles, similar to Hickey. His play getting the puck out of the zone the last 25 seconds from a wall battle was an example of the willingness to take a hit and make a play, which he did against two Yotes. He is a keeper, an RFA who will command a pretty decent contract in the offseason.

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
Good, accurate run down. Especially agree about Leddy. When not leading the rush or shooting from the point Leddy seems to get overlooked for his defensive play. But he is very solid in his own zone, strong along the walls and behind the net. Leddy battles, similar to Hickey. His play getting the puck out of the zone the last 25 seconds from a wall battle was an example of the willingness to take a hit and make a play, which he did against two Yotes. He is a keeper, an RFA who will command a pretty decent contract in the offseason.

Isn't he locked up for one more year?

replayer

Aug 3, 2005
Just looking at the standings and saw something interesting. Only Calgary and San Jose have played more road games than us. If this team actually starts learning how to win at home, look out.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I take it as a positive development when we don't have much to ***** at with our team so we take our ire out on pathetic Sabres fans! Let's hope that continues.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Wow.

Kulemin Tavares Okposo - I thought Tavares played quite well tonight. He had a lot of good looks and seemed to be forcing less things tonight. Okposo looked solid as well. Kulemin, I don't mind him on the top line, but I don't love him there. He isn't a finisher and doesn't pass well enough to stay there permanently...but I still love his game and want him reunited with Nielsen and Grabovski.

Grabovski Nielsen Clutterbuck - I really thought this line was pretty good tonight, especially Clutterbuck who was active all night. Great to see Frans get the winner from Grabovski at the end.

Lee Nelson Strome - This line can just play. Strome is becoming more comfortable and is really asserting himself out there. Nelson is just dominant in all phases of the game. Lee really puts in a great effort every night, and he works really well on the wall still. He hasn't produced offensively as much as some thought he might, but he's still very effective.

Martin Cizikas Boulton - I like this line partially because Conacher isn't on it and partially because Capuano isn't using them the way he used to. Minimizing their ice time is very important, especially late in the game, and we've seen that in the past three games. They are fine when utilized like this.

Hickey Vis - Played quite well. Vis had some great moments tonight, still very fluid with the puck and the play. Hickey is like a Vis clone for me, except probably slightly better defensively and a little less offensively gifted.

de Haan Hamonic - I thought Hamonic played a fantastic game tonight. He was physical when he needed to be, jumped up just enough offensively, and just was solid all around. de Haan put in another good performance. He got caught once or twice with his spin move at the top of our own circles, but overall played very well.

Leddy Strait - Leddy is a gamer and is so good you don't notice him. He does a lot offensively and defensively that is just so smooth you don't realize how good it is. Strait looked nice tonight, and this is how I envision his use (last minute when someone can't go). He's not an everyday player, but good enough to fill in. Dumb penalty at the end of the game though.

Halak - Shutout. Calm and collected. No scary moments at all tonight. Need I say more?

PP - Thought they were too cute at times. Hated, hated, hated Tavares carrying the puck in and turning it over near the end of the game. I even said to myself, "this isn't going to go well" right when it was passed to Tavares. They had some nice looks and Smith made some nice saves. Not upset or happy about the PP tonight, it was just okay.

PK - Fantastic, again. One or two scary moments, but who doesn't have that on the PK? Capuano is using quicker and smarter players on the PK now. Nelson and Strome both read plays very well and are quick enough to put pressure on the opposition at the blue line, which has helped the PK immensely. Being good on the PK isn't just about speed, it's about being able to read the play, be quick enough to react, and be strong enough to control the puck when it does get near you. We saw that tonight out of Nelson and Strome. Clutterbuck was also very good on the kill tonight.

I think this was the team's second best performance of the season. This game wasn't as physical as the one against the Kings and I don't know that the Coyotes have the same firepower that the Kings have at ES, but it was a great team game all around. We see what happens when they focus on clogging the neutral zone as the defensive strategy, instead of forechecking hard. They need to keep playing this style.

I've come to like your write ups on the games. Saves me quite a bit of writing, hah, and just want to state my divergent thoughts or strong agreeances if I have any such as:
- Tavares carrying the puck too much. That boy needs to rely on his linemates more. he is still stuck in Superman mode. Do the coaches say anything to him at all or do they sit around fawning over the future King?
- I've been giving Leddy love all season and nice to see others doing it as well. I saw people beating him up, more than just Chicago fans for his playoff drop offs, and all I can say is "Dey wrong!"
- This wasn't a bad game for Hamonic but he still has his moments. It isn't all linked to his offense first shifts, but in the end I really wish he would give up the hope he is Bobby Orr because quite frankly he is not offensively gifted. When his head is all about defense he plays very well.
- deHaan had a so so game. His unnecessary offensive zone GA in the 2nd would have been a GA vs. a better team.
- Overall, they need to get Lee in front of the net more. I question the intelligence of the coaching staff that this is not happening.
- They should try to do the same with Martin. A big body in front of the goaltender is always a good thing and both those guys are immoveable.
- 1st line overstayed their shift more again. That annoys me every time.
- Clutterbuck is playing very very well. No one is giving the guy any love and he deserves it.
- Martin needs to sit this next game. He had no legs in the third.

HumphreyBrogart

Apr 12, 2007
Mineola, LI/ Hoboken
- Clutterbuck is playing very very well. No one is giving the guy any love and he deserves it.

Agreed. He's been very steady/solid this season. The only knocks on him are that his hockey sense isn't the greatest and he shoots too much when there's usually a good play to be made. Other than that he brings a lot to the table: agitates, hits, strong on his skates and he's got decent jump/speed to his game. He's also fairly responsible defensively and can pot some goals here and there. Great guy to have on your bottom 6. It makes up for Martin's regression/mis-use.

Cavonnier

Apr 23, 2013
Maine
- Overall, they need to get Lee in front of the net more. I question the intelligence of the coaching staff that this is not happening.

I'll scream if Lee is sent back to Bridgeport, even after Bailey and Grabner return. Staple said Lee needs to "produce" or else he'll be sent to Bridgeport, and so far he has only one point in eight games. However, even if he never produces at the rate he did after he was called up last season and doesn't become Moulson 2.0, his presence makes the team better. He adds size and makes us stronger on the boards and is a good distraction in front of the net. On the winning goal last night Grabovski deserves credit for tracking down the puck and making a nice pass and Nielsen deserves credit for a nice shot, but what doesn't show up on the score sheet is how Lee very smartly parked himself in front of Smith right before Nielsen shot the puck.

Martin is lauded for his toughness, but in some cases toughness is a euphemism for a lack of skill. Lee doesn't fight, but he takes punishment along the boards and in front of the net, and he made a lot of hits last night, too. Lee's skilled toughness makes him invaluable to the team.

Cavonnier

Apr 23, 2013
Maine
I just checked the zone-adjusted Corsi statistics for the team this season, and Lee is number four at 55.3%, a similar number to what he had last season. So it's not like you can say he brings offensive acumen at the expense of being a defensive liability.

Interesting, the top three players by Corsi are all new acquisitions:
Grabovski 58.8%
Kulemin 57.1%
Leddy 55.9%

Boychuk has the second highest Corsi for percentage among defenseman at 53.3%.

Source: http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/ratings.php?db=201415&sit=f10&type=corsi&teamid=19&pos=skaters&minutes=50&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

DPSNAGS

Dec 3, 2007
The stat of the week. Isles are 3-0 with boulton in the lineup!

All seriousness we went out west and started to grind games out and i couldnt be happier.
Im hoping boychuck is only day to day and hes good to go agaisnt colorado. Big game before we start out strech of games agasint the east. After colorado, every game we play is agaisnt the east and it is an opportunity to show the league and the division that we are for real. Many teams in the easy are playing well so we need to continue to play well if we want to stay where we are.

Side note, my buddy ran into grabner at LA fitness is garden city. Said hes just jacked haha. Asked him
About the injury and he said a few more weeks.
Ill say hes back around tgiving to beg of december. I cw till we actually field a full roster

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
The stat of the week. Isles are 3-0 with boulton in the lineup!

All seriousness we went out west and started to grind games out and i couldnt be happier.
Im hoping boychuck is only day to day and hes good to go agaisnt colorado. Big game before we start out strech of games agasint the east. After colorado, every game we play is agaisnt the east and it is an opportunity to show the league and the division that we are for real. Many teams in the easy are playing well so we need to continue to play well if we want to stay where we are.

Side note, my buddy ran into grabner at LA fitness is garden city. Said hes just jacked haha. Asked him
About the injury and he said a few more weeks.
Ill say hes back around tgiving to beg of december. I cw till we actually field a full roster

I've met him a couple of times there actually, as I go there almost every day. Yeah, Grabs is absolutely ripped. Not something you'd expect when looking at him with his uniform on, but the guy is built like a rock.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
I really think a lot of the hate for them is kinda overblown. The only thing they posted about boychuck was staples tweet. Past that I saw only that someone hoped he'd have a speedy recovery

That was the mod (who is a classy guy).

One of the other sabre fans was floating about the injury, quoting that dumb pointer sisters song.

But, overall, who cares? Don't like the thread, don't read it. Sabres fans are not disruptong every single thread about the isles anymore. So, it's all good.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
That was the mod (who is a classy guy).

One of the other sabre fans was floating about the injury, quoting that dumb pointer sisters song.

But, overall, who cares? Don't like the thread, don't read it. Sabres fans are not disruptong every single thread about the isles anymore. So, it's all good.

In my opinion, it is a pretty sad existence if they are so reliant upon another team losing(us) for the betterment of there franchise.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
We didn't have a thread for it though. They can do them, but I won't be anywhere near it.

Big difference between a late 2nd round pick and a potential top 10 pick. I know Boston fans had threads for both the first round draft picks they got for Kessel.

Let's say we had a team like the Jets pick(I am just picking a team that I think has a good shot of being bottom 10), you don't think we would have a thread monitoring it

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
The one thing I saw, too much selfishness and too much unselfishness. Either one guy was trying to do too much or they were passing up opportunities

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
Great last three games of the road trip, even though I was in and out of consciousness for the California games. Really great to see the D, goaltending, and PK step up. This is what we've been expecting!

The boys deserve to come home to a raucous Coliseum crowd on Tuesday. I will be there loud and proud!

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
First line was great, just couldn't finish. Smith played a great game. The D was fantastic. de Haan is a beast. Leddy looks great as well. Need to get Strait out, but at least we have a ton of options now.

Schedule doesn't get any easier. Colorado next - they gave us a ton of trouble last time; four games against elite level teams(TBLx2 and PITx2); then 3 games against teams right behind us in the division(WASx2 and PHI). Only two games the rest of the month against teams we should absolutely beat: FLA and NJD. The others will be tough, tough games, but we should have a chance in all of them.

At the end of the day though, this team is in great shape. I remember before the season started, most fans looked at the schedule and said that as long as we are .500 by this point in the year, after this tough West Coast trip, we should be OK. Well, we are 4 games over.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Need to get Strait out, but at least we have a ton of options now

At this point in time assuming Boychuck is out for a game or 2 more, I think or only other options is Donovan. It's easy to say hey let's call up Pulock or Mayfield or Czuczman but I honestly don't think they will be an improvement on Strait short term

All that being said at this point I am on the side of maybe giving Donovan a chance against Florida(either that or dressing 11 forward and go with Donovan and Strait against Colorado)

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
Just hoping you're giving them the same warning here.

I'm not concerned about them. I'm concerned about you guys and making sure we remain together. I don't want to see you guys getting infractions. If they come here and troll, don't worry they'll suffer the consequences for it.

If they want to be classless, that's Buffalo's thing.

Please let us do our thing, and report posts that you feel violate the rules.

Last edited:

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
I just checked the zone-adjusted Corsi statistics for the team this season, and Lee is number four at 55.3%, a similar number to what he had last season. So it's not like you can say he brings offensive acumen at the expense of being a defensive liability.

Interesting, the top three players by Corsi are all new acquisitions:
Grabovski 58.8%
Kulemin 57.1%
Leddy 55.9%

Boychuk has the second highest Corsi for percentage among defenseman at 53.3%.

Source: http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/ratings.php?db=201415&sit=f10&type=corsi&teamid=19&pos=skaters&minutes=50&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

Wish he'd take faceoffs

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
At this point in time assuming Boychuck is out for a game or 2 more, I think or only other options is Donovan. It's easy to say hey let's call up Pulock or Mayfield or Czuczman but I honestly don't think they will be an improvement on Strait short term

All that being said at this point I am on the side of maybe giving Donovan a chance against Florida(either that or dressing 11 forward and go with Donovan and Strait against Colorado)

I personally would prefer to see Donovan at this point. Aside from that, I do think guys like Czuczman, Mayfield, and Reinhart are all realistic options if things get bad enough, and/or if there is a bigger set back with Boychuk. Both Czuczman and Mayfield have NHL experience, and Church in particular looked pretty good during his stint. Reinhart struggled a bit during his first few games, but I am more confident in him during his recall if he A)gets to play on his natural side, and B)has a legit NHL caliber D-partner to work with, whether it be any one of Leddy, Visnovsky, Hickey, or Boychuk if someone else goes down later on.

Either way, we don't have to live with mediocrity anymore. We have enough bodies who are deserving of NHL opportunities which will prevent guys from mailing it in, or in the case of Strait - playing mediocre hockey(at best).

Meh that's on Capuano was still hoping that the 2nd line would of been Kulemin-Grabovski-Strome but we're winning games again we shouldn't mess with the lines

As long as we're winning I can live with it. Nelson and Strome are getting valuable experience in that area, and hopefully by the time the playoffs roll around we'll have half of our forward core capable of winning a key face-off. That should be the goal, at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad