'14/'15 - This is the season that was.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This was a special season for the Jets and fans in many ways. I'm seeing post-mortems, evaluation, summaries and speculation popping up in several different threads. Maybe that makes a dedicated one unnecessary but I wanted to say a few things that don't seem to quite fit in any of those others.

Regardless of the way it ended this was, at least at times a spectacularly good season. There were so many single games where the wins were beautiful and exciting to watch that I will always remember this season. I think we shared something special with each other and with the team and really the whole city and province.

So this thread is for looking back on the season just ended in whatever way you like.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
The best part about making the playoffs: remember in the past three seasons, where you'd look back at certain games (eg. the blowouts at home vs. the Caps in 2013) and just rue the missed opportunity? Or you'd look back at some great moments (eg. the tremendous run for 10-12 games last year when Maurice took over) and then realize they were all for naught?

That's the beauty of making the playoffs as a team without much in the way of expectation. You can look back fondly on each moment in that 82 game schedule with the knowledge that you accomplished what you needed to by getting in to the dance.

Hey, maybe someday we'll be spoiled like Pens and Wings fans. They've likely come to view the regular season as nothing more than a warmup. :)

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Very enjoyable season. The highlight for me was the push to the playoffs and the success in achieving that goal. On three occasions, I knew that it wasn't going to happen. How glad I was to be wrong.

I'll probably think about player comments later, but the biggest high level difference for me this year was that Chevy was actually part of the fight this year. Last year, the 'do nothing' approach was very difficult for me to understand and accept. I still feel like we lost a year of playoff experience last year that could have helped us this year. But this year, Chevy was active in making changes with the objective to keep the team in the hunt and be competitive down the stretch and in the post season. We can argue and discuss the merits of the changes, but at least there are changes to be discussed.

Being a Jet fan in Florida, I have to watch the games on TV. I can tell you that the energy and special environment generated by the WhiteOut Winnipeg Jets fans at the MTS Centre comes through the TV and gives me shivers. Can't wait for it to start up again next year!

Last edited:

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Most enjoyable thing as an out-of-province Jets fan: having Center Ice and Game Center Live all season :yo:

In terms of a single moment, I remember watching the last game before Xmas against Chicago while sitting on the floor wrapping presents, having zero expectations of a win. Result: 5-1 Jets, one of our best performances of the season. I looked at my wife (not a hockey fan) and said "this is a GOOD TEAM". She rolled her eyes and gave me that "I've heard that before" look. I said, "this is different. This is a playoff team". This was the moment I really believed we had become a good (if not great) team.

Other big highlights:
- drilling Phoenix in the opener
- back to back shutouts against the Rangers and Hawks
- Perreault's 4-goal game, and the 5-game winning streak that win started.
- Buff OT winner against Minnesota

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
All of the games in Chicago were awesome. The 1-0 game (Hutch's first shutout), the 5-1 pasting right before Xmas, the 3-2 thriller in January. Pretty awesome when you consider what a graveyard Chicago used to be for Jets 1.0.

seasontixholder*

Most enjoyable thing as an out-of-province Jets fan: having Center Ice and Game Center Live all season :yo:

In terms of a single moment, I remember watching the last game before Xmas against Chicago while sitting on the floor wrapping presents, having zero expectations of a win. Result: 5-1 Jets, one of our best performances of the season. I looked at my wife (not a hockey fan) and said "this is a GOOD TEAM". She rolled her eyes and gave me that "I've heard that before" look. I said, "this is different. This is a playoff team". This was the moment I really believed we had become a good (if not great) team.

Other big highlights:
- drilling Phoenix in the opener
- back to back shutouts against the Rangers and Hawks
- Perreault's 4-goal game, and the 5-game winning streak that win started.
- Buff OT winner against Minnesota

Add Little's hat trick too. The MTS Centre blew up!

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
It was an excellent seasons in most respects, with plenty of thrills, spills, highs and lows. The team has progressed nicely. There is still some work to do but I am very optimistic about the future. Can`t wait until next season starts and to see how our prospects develop.

The highlights for me were Little`s hat trick, Perreault`s 4-goal game, the back to back shut-outs in Minnesota and St. Louis and knowing we were in the playoffs again after 19 long years. But nothing moreso than the standing ovation the fans gave the team last night despite being swept, it honestly made my spine tingle and made me proud to be a Winnipegger. Judging from the majority of the comments and articles I have seen today, the opinion of Winnipeg went up a few notches in the eyes of many. We`ve had a rough few months starting with that Maclean`s article and other less than complimentary news and opinions, so it is nice to see Winnipeg getting a bit of love today.

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013
Very happy with the hat trick and four-trick, Lowry's development, beating the Coyotes in the season opener, and Buff's OT winner against the Wild.

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
I remember the day the season started, I thought to myself "I wish I could fast forward 82 games and see if we'd be in the playoffs." End of game 81 I remembered that thought and was so excited. :D

jetkarma*

Pleased to sense the players are totally on board with Chevy and Maurice and that they feel the team is definitely headed in the right direction. This should make this off season even more beneifical for the players , stronger buy in and commitment. This means you Trouba ;) .

Seeing the effort that was consistently given is a huge plus , the team has become accountable.

Improvement from the youth , some expected , some not as much. Lowry , Scheifele , Chiarot , Trouba , Hutch all made strides and seem poised to build on that , some substantially.

Adding to the depth of the organization while keeping the parent roster at the same talent level , even with a a huge trade for two central former Jets players that should have been traded , and were.

The continued success of the draft and develop plan , it was a plan that many didn't believe in but it has unfolded in a very positive way and we have both depth players and impact players in the system , and more than a few.

Seeing Chevy make moves that made a positive , substantial difference regarding getting into the playoffs . It came with a cost but one that can be absorbed and was less than most GM's paid.

Making the cap situation more positive while still keeping the level of talent at pretty close the same level. This leads to the biggest concern or challenge this summer , the UFA's and finding the right blend of retaining veteran talent and not stifling the push from the prospect pool.

Renewed optimism from the fan base , the players are mentioning how impacting the support has been and that does and will matter going forward. The honeymoon is over but we now have substance to replace the infatuation. Still looking real good though ;)

Being in a real position of strength . I have mentioned numerous times that Chevy has made the comment that he wanted to be in this spot , to have options , to be able to control , to dictate or influence more things , to take advantage by being assertive and aggresive when the time was right and the situation merited that response. Make no doubt , we are now a factor , we are a serious player that isn't a wallflower at the dance. That matters , it matters a lot for the next step , and next ones after that , becuse we do need to take several more steps to be a true Cup challenger.

Confidence in seeing that the vision was correct and is on course .

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Pleased to sense the players are totally on board with Chevy and Maurice and that they feel the team is definitely headed in the right direction. This should make this off season even more beneifical for the players , stronger buy in and commitment. This means you Trouba ;) .

Seeing the effort that was consistently given is a huge plus , the team has become accountable.

Improvement from the youth , some expected , some not as much. Lowry , Scheifele , Chiarot , Trouba , Hutch all made strides and seem poised to build on that , some substantially.

Adding to the depth of the organization while keeping the parent roster at the same talent level , even with a a huge trade for two central former Jets players that should have been traded , and were.

The continued success of the draft and develop plan , it was a plan that many didn't believe in but it has unfolded in a very positive way and we have both depth players and impact players in the system , and more than a few.

Seeing Chevy make moves that made a positive , substantial difference regarding getting into the playoffs . It came with a cost but one that can be absorbed and was less than most GM's paid.

Making the cap situation more positive while still keeping the level of talent at pretty close the same level. This leads to the biggest concern or challenge this summer , the UFA's and finding the right blend of retaining veteran talent and not stifling the push from the prospect pool.

Renewed optimism from the fan base , the players are mentioning how impacting the support has been and that does and will matter going forward. The honeymoon is over but we now have substance to replace the infatuation. Still looking real good though ;)

Being in a real position of strength . I have mentioned numerous times that Chevy has made the comment that he wanted to be in this spot , to have options , to be able to control , to dictate or influence more things , to take advantage by being assertive and aggresive when the time was right and the situation merited that response. Make no doubt , we are now a factor , we are a serious player that isn't a wallflower at the dance. That matters , it matters a lot for the next step , and next ones after that , becuse we do need to take several more steps to be a true Cup challenger.

Confidence in seeing that the vision was correct and is on course .

First bold - Lowry was a huge surprise to me. Initially just making the team and contributing right from the start but much more so the steady improvement through the season. Even as his positional play could be seen as more and more valuable there was concern about his offensive potential. I don't know about anyone else but I have no concerns about that at all now. He tied for the team scoring lead in the POs. That says a lot. I expect him to be a consistent 20 goal man in a couple of more years. - Scheifele not only avoided the sophomore slump but progressed very well. Can't say enough good things about his progress and I expect much better from him next time he gets into the POs. - Chiarot another big surprise. I don't think he is done rising either. I think he is a smart player who will get better with experience. Already a good 3rd pair D who can handle 2nd pair minutes when needed I have hope he will progress to be a legit 2nd pair D. Trouba didn't really have a sophomore slump but did leave me wanting more. I think he was in some ways more assertive last year. He stepped it up a notch in the POs though and I expect him to pick up from there next year.

Seeing Chevy make moves. Period. Not just "the trade" but at the TD to compete for & in the POs. The cost was less than you implied. It was really negligible.

I'm not worried about that balance issue. If we are deep enough and strong enough that our prospects need to spend a year or two in the A that is a good thing. If a prospect forces his way into the lineup he has had to beat out a good player and trades may have to be made. Not a problem.

The future looks bright.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
My highlites from this season? Definitely the Chicago games. Being able to beat the Hawks the way we did this year was a real blast. Lowry was a great surprise. Honestly, when I think about him he really doesn't seem like a rookie. It's like thinking about Ladd or Wheeler almost. He plays the game with remarkable composure.

The trade with Buffalo was a shock to me. It blew me away. I wouldn't have guessed under the circumstances that Chevy would be able to swing a deal that got us the sort of return we got. Its almost like Buffalo wasn't aware of what had been going on here prior to the trade...

the three game shut-out run was amazing too.

THe general consistency of effort put out by the team was a real pleasure to see. Those games where the team comes out and looks completely asleep for the first period are a thing of the past ftmp I hope...

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
There were both high and low points for sure about this season. Highs were the winning streak prior to the all star break, Perreault's 4 goals on a 8-2 blowout against the Panthers and that dude dancing with the exploding popcorn, the OT win against the Wild where the winning goal ricochet off the board into the back of the goalies head and into the net, the shutout 1-0 win against the Blues that unforeseen at the time was the game that clinched unofficially a playoff spot, shutting out the Ovechkin's Caps..in fact these were all experienced in the GDT's I got to make, first time I did so after peeping on HF threads since the Jets returned in 2011. Special mention is the Leafs jersey thrown on the ice, Little's Hat trick, and the surprisingly good debut of Myers and Stafford.

The lows were the losing streak following the all star break, especially that loss to the Leafs breaking their 10 game losing streak, Schiefeles's trips, Buff's penalties...but looking back on all that, all those losses didn't matter because the Jets made it to the playoffs!

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
Highlights were most of the moves chevy made were good, to varying degrees. Being able to add and give us an almost 4 line roster without giving up too much was a positive. I still maintain it should've/could've been done earlier but oh well. I still don't think he's anywhere near the genius some make him out to be, but you have to respect the moves he made this year. The Stempniak acquisition is probably my favorite.

Love the rivalry that's brewing with the blues.

Lowry surprised - I'm nowhere near as high on him as others here but I will give him his due. I stated earlier in the year that on a good team he'd be a solid 4th line C. I revise that to him being a decent 3rd line C option on a strong team.

The recognition Little is slowly getting has been nice to see.

And this season will be remembered fondly for a very long time as the first time I saw a Jets home game live since 95, in some amazing seats courtesy of ps21.

Lowlights include some questionable day to day personel decisions by Maurice. But I'd still say he's a huge net positive right now on the club.

Overall state of goaltending on the team is still a bit of a concern for me, and I'm still not convinced anyone of importance in the organization recognizes it.

I entered the season telling myself I'd remember to just stay even keeled, and I think I did, and it made the ups and downs more enjoyable.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Prior to the season starting, I thought the Jets would be competing for a lotto pick, never mind the playoffs so the highlight for me was being wrong and see the Jets make the playoffs. The biggest highlight was game 3 vs Anaheim, what a scene, i believe it put winnipeg back on the map in terms of amazing hockey markets, i think we always were one but... players across the league and fans of other teams seemed legit in saying "wow, what an atmosphere". The other highlights was the opening game against Arizona, what a game really, just looked so good top to bottom, I was at the CBJ game where Hutch got a shutout so that's a highlight, the Minny game in Minny where the ladd goal went off the minny goals back and in, the 4 goal perreault game, the little hat trick, Buff against the leafs, Pav vs Dallas, Pav the last 3 games of the year, The big Trade by Chevy was a highlight too. Honestly gonna say the buff "we are a team, we stick together" thing was hillarious and a highlight too. Lowry, Scheif,Trouba all looking good. Ehlers ripping up the Q. Gonna say Thorbs scoring some goals.

The Lowlights? The losing streak after the Arizona game, Not looking like the same team after the ASB, the Kane fiasco(altho in hindsight it lead to a good thing), Buff in the playoffs and honestly, not looking the same after the ASB..and ofcourse last but not least, it sucked being swept by the Ducks.

All in all tho, exceeded my expectations and really looking forward to seeing what they do in the off-season, particularly, regarding goaltending and Buff, maybe even Toby Enstrom.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I think the biggest thing for me was that, no matter how much I anticipated that first Whiteout, no matter how much of 19 years and excitement and hype built up in me, I still could not have anticipated that feeling of being in the crowd that day. I was as hyped to the stars and they still blew my mind.

There has been big progress this year. There will be more next year. Barring some lunacy at the draft or in the preseason, I look forward to predicting another playoff appearance for the Jets.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Oh, and of course the way the team managed to survive with it's top four D men out for an extended period....

Hey, maybe next year we'll be able to follow two winnipeg teams in the play-offs at the same time! :D

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
My highlights

Littles hattrick. Matty Ps 4 goal game. Pavs' shutout streak. Chicago games.

Oh and being in the MTS Centre for a playoff game. It was absolutely amazing. Teams already hate playing here; in the playoffs it will be 1000 times this. And also the Jets killing the Kings on March 1st

Edit: and how could I forget BIG Adam Lowry! He is our captain in the future

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
A couple of times, late in that last game I saw Chevy and Maurice on camera. It looked to me like they were thinking something like, 'so this is our team, now we know what we have'. I'd like to know what they were really thinking. They did not look to be watching like fans. More like pondering the next step. Just how they struck me.

That is another effect of this season for me. I now have a lot more confidence in both Chevy and Maurice going forward. I will still puzzle over some of Maurice's lineup decisions and I will still want Chevy to be more aggressive but I will be able to wait for the next result more calmly.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
For me, the development and play of Adam Lowry was most surprising. In a very positive way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad