Prospect Info: 13th Official Rangers Prospect Poll: #1 prospect

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
As promised the poll will begin now that the Rangers played two preseason games plus Traverse giving everyone a chance to have a look at the new prospects.

Normally the first 6 prospects listed are those who finished in the top 6 in the previous poll. However, Jimmy Vesey is a special circumstance so I will list him in the top 6. The reasoning should be obvious to everyone.

WHO IS A PROSPECT: We can't all have different standards based on what we each want personally, so we follow HF rules. The standard for what's a prospect is here: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/whatmakesaprospect

I specifically want to point out that McIlrath, Clendening, Paliotta and Skjei are eligible as prospects since they played under 65 games. Every year there are people who declare something like, "I don't consider Buchnevich to be a prospect because he's guaranteed to play on the Rangers." That is not the standard. We cannot have everyone follow a difference standard because then the results will be meaningless. By HF standards, McIlrath and others I listed are eligible, therefore they will count as prospects here.

EXCEPTION: I will invoke the "Talbot Exception" here. If you read the HF rules, under special circumstances, an older player may still be regarded as a prospect and not a career minor leaguer. The only time we used this exception before was for Cam Talbot. We will use it again for Marek Hrivik, who at 25 is technically old enough to be regarded as a career minor leaguer instead of a prospect, but given his stint at the end of last year and how great he was in preseason, I think we can all agree that his NHL window is not closed and he can still realistically have a real NHL career.

NEW PROSPECTS SIGNED

Chapie, Adam
Clendening, Adam
Gilmour, John
Jensen, Nicklas
Paliota, Michael
Stromwall, Malte
Vesey, Jimmy

2016 DRAFTEES

Day, Sean
Reunanen, Tarmo
Gettinger, Tim
Fontaine, Gabriel
Wall, Tyler
Ronning, Ty

GRADUATED, TRADED, DUMPED

Bourque, Ryan
Donnay, Troy
Iverson, Keegan
Hellberg, Magnus
Kantor, Michael
Lindberg, Oscar
Mantha, Ryan
McCarthy, Chris
Nanne, Tyler
Nejezchleb, Richard
Nicholls, Josh
Noreau, Samuel
Saarela, Aleksi
St. Croix, Michael

MIDSEASON PROSPECT POLL (January 2016)

TOP PROSPECTS

1. LW/RW Pavel Buchnevich
2. D Dylan McIlrath
3. D Brady Skjei
4. C Oscar Lindberg
5. G Igor Shesterkin
6. D Ryan Graves

SECOND TIER

7. C/LW Aleksi Saarela
8. LW Ryan Gropp
9. C Adam Tambellini
10. C Robin Kovacs
11. G Brandon Halverson
12. C/LW Cristoval Nieves
13. C Steven Fogarty
14.D Sergey Zborovskiy
15. G Mackenzie Skapski

PROJECTS & SUSPECTS

16. RW Nicklas Jensen
17. G Adam Huska
18. C Brad Morrison
19. D Calle Andersson
20. RW Daniel Bernhardt

HONORABLE MENTIONS

21. G Magnus Hellberg
22. D Ryan Mantha
23. LW Ryan Bourque
24. D Tommy Hughes
25. C/LW Marek Hrivik

RANGERS PROPERTY
(Alphabet Order)

Donnay, Troy
Iverson, Keegan
Kantor, Michael
McCarthy, Chris
Nanne, Tyler
Nejezchleb, Richard
Nicholls, Josh
Noreau, Samuel
St. Croix, Michael

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Please list who you'd like added in the next round. The eligible prospects are:

Andersson, Calle
Bernhardt, Daniel
Chapie, Adam
Clendening, Adam
Day, Sean
Fogarty, Steven
Fontaine, Gabriel
Gettinger, Tim
Gilmour, John
Gropp, Ryan
Jensen, Nicklas
Halverson, Brandon
Hellberg, Mangus
Hrivik, Marek
Hughes, Tommy
Huska, Adam
Kovacs, Robin
Morrison, Brad
Nieves, Cristoval
Paliota, Michael
Ronning, Ty
Reunanen, Tarmo
Skapski, Mackenzie
Stromwall, Malte
Tambellini, Adam
Wall, Tyler
Zborovskiy, Sergey

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Vesey

Add Clendening.

May not be an attractive choice, as he's nearly 24yo and has been on several teams, but I don't think he's been used properly. For instance, he played 29 games last year and was not given one second on the PP. If Clendo is to be played in accordance with his strengths, he needs to play on the PP. He looks to me like a confident puck mover that can quickly distribute the puck from the point, and also seems to have a pretty hard slapper. The Rangers could use a PMD on the 2nd PP unit, and I think it's a great opportunity for him to shine. On top of that, his 5v5 on-ice stats were not bad last year. His GF% and SCF% were well above average, and his Corsi was not horrible...somewhere around 48.5. He was also a positive +/- player on an Oiler team that had very few of them.

This guy can play. He just needs a chance and he needs to be played in accordance with his strengths.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Vesey because he absolutely abused Traverse on every shift and looked really good in preseason vs the Devils. He's the most ready prospect we've had since Stepan.

Add Skapski. Was very good in both his outings in the preaseson, had two strong NHL games, and a very good AHL rookie season. He was injured last season, so his stats look bad, but it shouldn't be held against him.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Buch.

I think Buch is improving every game he's played in NA. A lot of people said he'd need an AHL stint, after one or two games after Traverse City. So far in the first two preseason games, he's been one of our best players. He looks like an NHL'er, so far. I think he'll only get better, as he learns NA ice more, learns the language better, learns how to play with new teammates, learns the league.

Add Sean Day.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Im feeling confident that Skjei will mature immensely in the NHL this season, and step forward as a true leader on the ice.

Future captain in the making

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Tough choice between Buch and Vesey, IMO. I took Buch though. Slight edge, at least to me.

Add Day.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I give a slight edge to Buch, since I think his ceiling is higher. But, Vesey was very impressive last night...wonderful combination of size, strength skating and skill. Add Clendening.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I don't want to let recency bias creep in with this vote, so I'm sticking with Buch. I really do like what I've seen from Vesey and I think he's going to turn into a very solid player.

Add Kovacs

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I love Buch, but I have to go with Vesey on this one. So far, between Traverse and TC, Vesey has been very, very good. Butcher is still getting acclimated.

I think Buch has the higher ceiling and will ultimately take a big step by the end of this year, but, based on what I've seen so far, I have to give Vesey the edge.

Add Gilmour.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Would really like to see Vesey against some actual good competition before anointing him a better prospect than Buch... or even Skjei, for that matter.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Vesey, just because I think he gets the edge for being a bit more NHL ready than Buchnevich. He was solid at Harvard, but watching him play I have to say that I think I let my opinion of the ECAC ding him unfairly. Looks like he's pro-ready.

Add Kovacs.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Tough to say really. Guess I'll give the edge to Buch. Vesey/Skjei aren't far behind. Would probably place Brady ahead of Jimmy.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Would really like to see Vesey against some actual good competition before anointing him a better prospect than Buch... or even Skjei, for that matter.

He's gonna get a lot of votes because he already looks ready. He's older and big. Makes sense sure, but we haven't gotten a taste of upside at all yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad