Prospect Info: 136th overall — G Chase Perry

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
^^Interesting stats. I hope he pans out as good as Olaz Kolzig, the last real good goalie from the BCHL (Abbotsford Falcons that one season).

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Interesting, interesting, interesting.

There was this article a while ago about hockey players wingspan.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/a...ns-carey-price-size-scouting-measurements-nhl

Carey Price -article, where they say he is in reality 6'1 height but has 6'5 wingspan, and that natural ability could be one if his biggest strengths.

Very interesting article in either way, but what I just noticed from 2014 entry draft combine results... (went there to find some Larkin numbers and didn't find his weight...)

But I found this:

http://www.topendsports.com/sport/icehockey/nhl-combine-results-2014.htm

TOP10 Wingspan:
Rank Result (inches) Player
1 81.0 Beau Starrett
2 80.0 Hunter Smith
3 80.0 Ryan Mantha
4 79.5 Marcus Pettersson
5 79.5 Thomas (Chase) Perry
6 79.0 Aaron Ekblad
7 79.0 Sonny Milano
8 79.0 Alex Tuch
9 79.0 Ryan Collins
10 79.0 Leon Draisaitl

So, on the TOP10 list, almost all are huge 6'5 - 6'6 height guys with these huge wingspans, except 6'0 Sonny Milano and 6'1 Draisaitl... and our goalie prospect Chase Perry.

He has 79.5 inches wingspan, which means 6 foot 7.5 inches (202cm !). Probably longest hands any goalie has currently. Pekka Rinne could be very near of that, but don't know exact numbers. Bishop and Scott Darling could be very near too.

This is very interesting attribute in him. Guy is only 6'2, but has this 6'7.5 wingspan. If you think Price is 6'1 height and 6'5 wingspan. Just imagine what area his glove hand can cover from shooting sector... And how much further he can poke-check pucks away.

I have had this discussion earlier at my work, because my working partner is 6'2 long, but has 200cm (6'7) wingspan, it just funny how he looks. I'm 5'10 and my wingspan is exactly same as my height.

We just have had this fun discussion for years, that if your wingspan is more than your height, you are a monkey. :D So I wasn't and he is. :laugh: We have had some much fun about these things, but after reading that article, I noticed, my god, this really could be a key for successful NHL drafting.

Like Datsyuk, he is that 5'10, but those Pavel's hands are obviously lot longer and it makes a better reach available for him, to protect the puck. And that plays a big part on his greatness for such a small player.

I think Red Wings could have started pointing in these attributes on latest drafts. That Hampus Melen looked exactly that. Thin 6'2 guy, but with long hands. Also this Chase Pearson from latest draft looks the same. Long reach could be the key for greatness. And height could be almost irrelevant.

Some interesting ideas.

Wouldn't it be more preferable for a goalie to be taller with a normal wing span? Wouldn't a bigger torso and normal arms provide better net coverage than a guy who is all arms but smaller?

For skaters, reach is definitely important, but being taller is synonymous with being heavier, which gives you some of those impossible guys to knock off the puck. Although some smaller guys like Crosby have the lower body strength and balance to be in that same class ,without the added height and weight. Those guys are more of the exception though, I think.

I think a 6'4" skilled guy who skates well is just always going to be move coveted than a guy under 6 foot with a long wing span. We like measurables as sports fans, so the height/weight/speed/skill combo is always going to be more polarizing IMO.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Some interesting ideas.

Wouldn't it be more preferable for a goalie to be taller with a normal wing span? Wouldn't a bigger torso and normal arms provide better net coverage than a guy who is all arms but smaller?

Don't know but, It has been funny to see Pekka catching pucks with his left-hand glove from the right side, insted of using the blocker. Then you don't create a rebound, you catch the puck. This is only possible with very long arms.

It's one unique element on his game. Finland has long traditions in our Finnish baseball, there the catching glove is quite similar than hockey catching glove has been. I think his skills could come from there + that wingspan.

I really don't know what it feel to use that American Baseball glove. Is that anyhow similar than hockey goalies glove? And could you catch balls from your off side easily with that?

Chase Perry is American, so maybe he would have some special glove-hand skills like Rinne? Isn't it quite common that every American has played some baseball as a kid, like we Finns do with our own baseball on school age at least?

PetrPumpknEatr

Mar 8, 2015
Interesting, interesting, interesting.

There was this article a while ago about hockey players wingspan.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/a...ns-carey-price-size-scouting-measurements-nhl

Carey Price -article, where they say he is in reality 6'1 height but has 6'5 wingspan, and that natural ability could be one if his biggest strengths.

Very interesting article in either way, but what I just noticed from 2014 entry draft combine results... (went there to find some Larkin numbers and didn't find his weight...)

But I found this:

http://www.topendsports.com/sport/icehockey/nhl-combine-results-2014.htm

TOP10 Wingspan:
Rank Result (inches) Player
1 81.0 Beau Starrett
2 80.0 Hunter Smith
3 80.0 Ryan Mantha
4 79.5 Marcus Pettersson
5 79.5 Thomas (Chase) Perry
6 79.0 Aaron Ekblad
7 79.0 Sonny Milano
8 79.0 Alex Tuch
9 79.0 Ryan Collins
10 79.0 Leon Draisaitl

So, on the TOP10 list, almost all are huge 6'5 - 6'6 height guys with these huge wingspans, except 6'0 Sonny Milano and 6'1 Draisaitl... and our goalie prospect Chase Perry.

He has 79.5 inches wingspan, which means 6 foot 7.5 inches (202cm !). Probably longest hands any goalie has currently. Pekka Rinne could be very near of that, but don't know exact numbers. Bishop and Scott Darling could be very near too.

This is very interesting attribute in him. Guy is only 6'2, but has this 6'7.5 wingspan. If you think Price is 6'1 height and 6'5 wingspan. Just imagine what area his glove hand can cover from shooting sector... And how much further he can poke-check pucks away.

I have had this discussion earlier at my work, because my working partner is 6'2 long, but has 200cm (6'7) wingspan, it just funny how he looks. I'm 5'10 and my wingspan is exactly same as my height.

We just have had this fun discussion for years, that if your wingspan is more than your height, you are a monkey. :D So I wasn't and he is. :laugh: We have had some much fun about these things, but after reading that article, I noticed, my god, this really could be a key for successful NHL drafting.

Like Datsyuk, he is that 5'10, but those Pavel's hands are obviously lot longer and it makes a better reach available for him, to protect the puck. And that plays a big part on his greatness for such a small player.

I think Red Wings could have started pointing in these attributes on latest drafts. That Hampus Melen looked exactly that. Thin 6'2 guy, but with long hands. Also this Chase Pearson from latest draft looks the same. Long reach could be the key for greatness. And height could be almost irrelevant.

It's too bad Perry just sucks as a goalie and couldn't hack it at Colorado College. He's gone. He'll never be in the AHL, much less NHL.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Meh, he needs to sit out a year to transfer anyways. The BCHL is fine for him. He was smart to get out of CC.

PetrPumpknEatr

Mar 8, 2015
One bad season (15 games at College) and "he's gone" ?

Never say that with goalies.

I say that because 1) he's gone from Colorado College. 2) He currently plays Junior B.

After all, once he finishes up in Junior B at age 20, where will he go? Will he go directly from Junior B to AHL? No. He'll have to make it into the ECHL, and there's no guarantee there. He likely missed his window.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I believe the BCHL is Junior A hockey. After 2015-16, he will probably go to a different NCAA program.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Some interesting ideas.

For skaters, reach is definitely important, but being taller is synonymous with being heavier, which gives you some of those impossible guys to knock off the puck. Although some smaller guys like Crosby have the lower body strength and balance to be in that same class ,without the added height and weight. Those guys are more of the exception though, I think.

I think a 6'4" skilled guy who skates well is just always going to be move coveted than a guy under 6 foot with a long wing span. We like measurables as sports fans, so the height/weight/speed/skill combo is always going to be more polarizing IMO.

the negative trade off with bigger torso and normal arms is weaker athleticism, compared to guy who has normal arms and bigger torso. like price. add the near perfect G technique and you have goalie like him.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Pete mrazek started in the echl. There is nothing wrong with not jumping right to the ahl.
Goalies develop weird he could suck until he's 25 then blow up and have a near elite NHL season. I've given up on projecting goalies. It doesn't matter all that much anyway we have an early 20's potentially starting goalie with legit elite potential. Barring injury or a blockbuster trade were set in net. And if for some reason he's gone, Howard has shown he can play at an all star level on several occasions.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I say that because 1) he's gone from Colorado College. 2) He currently plays Junior B.

After all, once he finishes up in Junior B at age 20, where will he go? Will he go directly from Junior B to AHL? No. He'll have to make it into the ECHL, and there's no guarantee there. He likely missed his window.

To transfer NCAA schools within the same division, a player must sit out a year. Thankfully for Chase, he still has junior eligibility left and has a place to go play. Next year he will transfer to and play for a different NCAA school that actually wants him.

The BCHL is without question Canada's best Tier II Junior A league. Only the USHL sends more players to NCAA hockey. It is a fine place for him to play for a year.

Last edited:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Ever hear of the hall of fame goaltender who never played hockey in his life, just started at age 16?

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
Pete mrazek started in the echl. There is nothing wrong with not jumping right to the ahl.
Goalies develop weird he could suck until he's 25 then blow up and have a near elite NHL season. I've given up on projecting goalies. It doesn't matter all that much anyway we have an early 20's potentially starting goalie with legit elite potential. Barring injury or a blockbuster trade were set in net. And if for some reason he's gone, Howard has shown he can play at an all star level on several occasions.

Mrazek played two games in the ECHL before promptly being called up to GR. The ECHL didn't help Mrazek get any better at all. Detroit just did not want him to go from Juniors straight to the AHL even though Mrazek quickly "forced" their hand.

Ever hear of the hall of fame goaltender who never played hockey in his life, just started at age 16?

I'm not sure who you are talking about here, but how many other goalies started hockey that late? I'm going to assume zero. Whoever you are talking about is most certainly the exception not the rule.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'm not sure who you are talking about here, but how many other goalies started hockey that late? I'm going to assume zero. Whoever you are talking about is most certainly the exception not the rule.

I don't know who he's talking about either. You might get a guy like Belfour that didn't play goalie until he was like 12. But he was skating and involved in hockey well before that. Plenty of goalies didn't solidify their position until their teens, having skated out or split time before then. Great skating is essential to goaltending, people forget, so it's not uncommon for goalies to play around with other positions in their youth. I'd argue it's good for their development.

To learn how to skate at age 16 and then make the pros would be a monumental feat. Maybe he's talking about some legend from one of the Original Six guys, back when hockey was still a part-time job.

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
This guy started at 16. He's still a long way from the NHL though. His dad is one of the premier mask painters.

And, of course, there's this NHL goalie who didn't start playing the position until he was 37.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad