1337 Mock Draft!

Status
Not open for further replies.

I_r_1337

Jun 10, 2003
Washington D.C.
Visit site
Hate me, Love me, whatever..haha
it's 3:40am and I'm like a little kid before Xmas..waiting for the draft except I still have a whole nother day to go :lol ah well here's my mock. Tried to give reasons for most but if you're like WTF?! just ask I'll probably have insomnia until I officially hear McPhee call out Alex Ovechkin and answer it right away.

1. Washington Capitals: Alexander Ovechkin
Pointless to even discuss it.

2. Pittsburgh Penguins: Evgeni Malkin
The Pens feel Malkin has every bit as much potential as Ovechkin and are very happy with him.

3. Chicago Blackhawks: Robbie Schremp
Shocker to many but not to some. Only 3 players in my opinion are considered or were considered possibly the best player to come out of this draft and he's one of them...passing all the interviews with flying colors and goes where he belongs.

4. Columbus Blue Jackets: Cam Barker
Columbus is in need of help along the blue line and Barker would be a nice compliment to Klesla.

5. Phoenix Coyotes: Lauri Tukonen
Phoenix selects the perfect fit for their organization. Lauri is smart, speedy and can hold his own defensively.

6. New York Rangers: Andrew Ladd
The Rangers feel Ladd is a potential steal at this point and take him over Thelen who they did covet.

7. Florida Panthers: A.J. Thelen
Flordia takes a wonderful partner for Bouwmeester and is happy to see him fall down to them.

8. Carolina Hurricanes: Rotislav Olesz
They're gonna wanna make a smart and exciting pick right here to please the home town so they choose a safe pick in Olesz but also gets a great buzz from the fans due to his potential upside.

9. Mighty Ducks of Anaheim: Andrej Meszaros
Anaheim will probably go defender here. It's thinning quickly and Meszaros fills the gap. A big time risers come draft day. He's solid 2 way and there's not a whole lot he can't do. But the best part is for all those traits the sky seems to be the limit if he works hard enough.

10. Atlanta Thrashers: Travis Zajac
Super shocker to everyone. Many know Zajac is a great prospect while others think hes simply a big time scorer cause of his league and he's a lesser prospect. Some see this as a reach for Atlanta. Although it's one I can see them taking..Zajac would fit right in with they dream of creating a dynamic unstoppable 1st line...Kovalchuk-Zajac-Heatley would look pretty damned scary if Zajac pans out to put up good numbers and becomes a player. With 2 already dominant offensive picks.. a sure fire goaltender and blue liner stocked up they can take there franchises first "chance" pick.

11. Los Angeles Kings: Al Montoya
The Kings front offices decides the best goalie in the draft is Montoya. They take a lot of what he accomplished at the WJC's into account and use that to give him the edge over a extremely close race of two good goalies.

12. Minnesota Wild: Marek Schwarz
Thinking they would have to settle with Montoya they were happy but not excited but when LA picks Montoya over Schwarz they are very pleased. With little to no time off the clock after the Kings pick they will be up on the podium.

13. Buffalo Sabres: Alexander Radulov
Buffalo can see it now.. Vanak and Radulov tearing it up like Kovalchuk and Heatley. They take Radulov not only because they like him but he's also the best player on the board.

14. Edmonton Oilers: Alexander Picard
Yes yes now you can finally stop telling every poster on HF there's no way they'll pass on him..they select him simply because Edmonton would probably riot if they didn't apparently. Haha..Kidding..this is the guy they like proven by numerous interviews.

15. Nashville Predators: Drew Stafford
A Nashville kinda guy and a Poile kinda guy. He fits right in with their plans and probably should have been picked higher but nobody up higher was really looking for a steady but not impact guy.

16. New York Islanders: Ladislav Smid
The Islanders need a defender and Smid is a toss up between a couple at this point who could become very very good. The Islander however just happen to like him not fearing international flavor.

17. St. Louis Blues: Wojitek Wolski
Good player on the board for too long.. Blues draft some scoring help finally.

18. Montreal Canadiens: Boris Valabik
The Chara hype is just that and every GM knows and understands that. Boris is drafted about where he should be. Some team were interested but scared to take the risk. Montreal’s deep as anyone and can afford a hit or miss with this skill set.

19. Calgary Flames: Kyle Chipchura
Sutter creams himself and gets to draft his favorite player in the draft.

20. Dallas Stars: Mike Green
Dallas loses Vagner and selects Mike Green. They feel Vagner left a hole they had filled for a reason and fills it again with a very underrated guy. Given a better team and the chance to shine he would be running with Barker for best defensive prospect.

21. Colorado Avalanche: Evner Lisin
Colorado is desperate to find a diamond because they've destroyed the system the past few years. Every year we say that and every year it gets worse! He is an amazing sniper with huge upside. He's the fastest player in the draft as well. Colorado thinks they're a good enough system to mold him into more of a team player and stop all the cherry picking rumors.

22. New Jersey Devils: Wes O'Neill
I wish this wouldn't happen cause I'm a Caps fan but this is what I think. Jersey is good with NCAA players and O'Neill has great upside if he can mature..and New Jersey loves to let their defenders sit in the NCAA and develop. A perfect match.

23. Ottawa Senators: JakubSindel
Ottawa always looks for sleepers in late 1st rounders..Sindel has the package and lacks the size(although he still stands at 6'0"). Ottawa like's the look of Bruce Graham but they stay with their Euro sniper trend and chances are in their system it pays off.

24. New York Rangers(from Tor): Bruce Graham
Sather salivates at the chance to play Graham and Jessiman together. It's irresistible to Glen. Expect them to stockpile hit or miss defenders in the 2nd round with hopes 1 or 2 will come out as top 4 guys.

25. Edmonton Oilers(from Phi): Lauri Korpikoski
Kind of a wildcard but stays right where he deserves to be. the Oil already went safe with Picard and take a chance on Lauri.

26. Vancouver Canucks: Patteri Nokelainen
Don't slaughter me Canuck fans.. I think this is a very logical choice. They are getting a high end 2nd liner or low end 1st liner(as of now..things could change) at the bottom of the draft simply because he's misjudged as a shutdown defensive center. His offensive skills are completely over looked.

27. Washington Capitals(from Bos): Jeff Schultz
Not a hard choice for McPhee he sees the best defender left on the board and loves his size. Visions of Yonkman and Schultz fill the Washington draft table(and me haha).

28. San Jose Sharks: Roman Voloshenko
Everyone keeps saying Alexandrov Alexandrov but I think there's another Russian sniper on the board with more talent and he fits San Jose's biggest gap. A pure offensive star.

29. Washington Capitals(from Det/opt to Wsh): Kyrill Lyamin
McPhee goes back to D as that is Washigtons most pressing need and obviously they were unable to address it with their first pick.

30. Tampa Bay Lightning: Devan Dubnyk
For sure lower than he should be going but in a league with goaltenders coming out of the ears sometimes they get over looked. This is no bigger shocker pick.

Last edited:

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
I_r_1337 said:
it's 3:40am and I'm like a little kid before Xmas..waiting for the draft except I still have a whole nother day to go :lol ah well here's my mock. Tried to give reasons for most but if you're like WTF?! just ask I'll probably have insomnia until I officially hear McPhee call out Alex Ovechkin and answer it right away.

The Pens feel Malkin has every bit as much potential as Ovechkin and are very happy with him.

Shocker to many but not to some. Only 3 players in my opinion are considered or were considered possibly the best player to come out of this draft and he's one of them...passing all the interviews with flying colors and goes where he belongs.

Columbus is in need of help along the blue line and Barker would be a nice compliment to Klesla.

Phoenix selects the perfect fit for their organization. Lauri is smart, speedy and can hold his own defensively.

The Rangers feel Ladd is a potential steal at this point and take him over Thelen who they did covet.

Flordia takes a wonderful partner for Bouwmeester and is happy to see him fall down to them.

They're gonna wanna make a smart and exciting pick right here to please the home town so they choose a safe pick in Olesz but also gets a great buzz from the fans due to his potential upside.

Anaheim will probably go defender here. It's thinning quickly and Meszaros fills the gap. A big time risers come draft day. He's solid 2 way and there's not a whole lot he can't do. But the best part is for all those traits the sky seems to be the limit if he works hard enough.

Super shocker to everyone. Many know Zajac is a great prospect while others think hes simply a big time scorer cause of his league and he's a lesser prospect. Some see this as a reach for Atlanta. Although it's one I can see them taking..Zajac would fit right in with they dream of creating a dynamic unstoppable 1st line...Kovalchuk-Zajac-Heatley would look pretty damned scary if Zajac pans out to put up good numbers and becomes a player. With 2 already dominant offensive picks.. a sure fire goaltender and blue liner stocked up they can take there franchises first "chance" pick.

The Kings front offices decides the best goalie in the draft is Montoya. They take a lot of what he accomplished at the WJC's into account and use that to give him the edge over a extremely close race of two good goalies.

Thinking they would have to settle with Montoya they were happy but not excited but when LA picks Montoya over Schwarz they are very pleased. With little to no time off the clock after the Kings pick they will be up on the podium.

Buffalo can see it now.. Vanak and Radulov tearing it up like Kovalchuk and Heatley. They take Radulov not only because they like him but he's also the best player on the board.

Yes yes now you can finally stop telling every poster on HF there's no way they'll pass on him..they select him simply because Edmonton would probably riot if they didn't apparently. Haha..Kidding..this is the guy they like proven by numerous interviews.

A Nashville kinda guy and a Poile kinda guy. He fits right in with their plans and probably should have been picked higher but nobody up higher was really looking for a steady but not impact guy.

The Islanders need a defender and Smid is a toss up between a couple at this point who could become very very good. The Islander however just happen to like him not fearing international flavor.

The Chara hype is just that and every GM knows and understands that. Boris is drafted about where he should be. Some team were interested but scared to take the risk. Montreal’s deep as anyone and can afford a hit or miss with this skill set.

Dallas loses Vagner and selects Mike Green. They feel Vagner left a hole they had filled for a reason and fills it again with a very underrated guy. Given a better team and the chance to shine he would be running with Barker for best defensive prospect.

Colorado is desperate to find a diamond because they've destroyed the system the past few years. Every year we say that and every year it gets worse! He is an amazing sniper with huge upside. He's the fastest player in the draft as well. Colorado thinks they're a good enough system to mold him into more of a team player and stop all the cherry picking rumors.

I wish this wouldn't happen cause I'm a Caps fan but this is what I think. Jersey is good with NCAA players and O'Neill has great upside if he can mature..and New Jersey loves to let their defenders sit in the NCAA and develop. A perfect match.

Ottawa always looks for sleepers in late 1st rounders..Sindel has the package and lacks the size(although he still stands at 6'0"). Ottawa like's the look of Bruce Graham but they stay with their Euro sniper trend and chances are in their system it pays off.

Sather salivates at the chance to play Graham and Jessiman together. It's irresistible to Glen. Expect them to stockpile hit or miss defenders in the 2nd round with hopes 1 or 2 will come out as top 4 guys.

Kind of a wildcard but stays right where he deserves to be. the Oil already went safe with Picard and take a chance on Lauri.

Don't slaughter me Canuck fans.. I think this is a very logical choice. They are getting a high end 2nd liner or low end 1st liner(as of now..things could change) at the bottom of the draft simply because he's misjudged as a shutdown defensive center. His offensive skills are completely over looked.

Not a hard choice for McPhee he sees the best defender left on the board and loves his size. Visions of Yonkman and Schultz fill the Washington draft table(and me haha).

Everyone keeps saying Alexandrov Alexandrov but I think there's another Russian sniper on the board with more talent and he fits San Jose's biggest gap. A pure offensive star.

McPhee goes back to D as that is Washigtons most pressing need and obviously they were unable to address it with their first pick.

For sure lower than he should be going but in a league with goaltenders coming out of the ears sometimes they get over looked. This is no bigger shocker pick.

I disagree with a lot of your picks, but i'm glad to see you switch it up a little. Good, interesting mock. As a side note, there is still a spot open to be an assistant GM in Mizrals GM game.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I_r_1337 said:

Because San Jose fans have started that thought because we know which player fits in the Sharks system better and guess what...its Alexandrov. Vik is just as talented (more so if ya ask me) with better wheels and work ethic. He has qualities the Sharks desire in forwards not just offense.

thestonedkoala

Why the bloody hell does Minnesota take a goaltender? I really want someone to answer that...

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
thestonedkoala said:
Why the bloody hell does Minnesota take a goaltender? I really want someone to answer that...

Why not take a goaltender? Goalie 2 or 3 good to great goalie prospects is necessary. Sure Harding is a good prospect but I wouldn't put all my eggs in his basket.

thestonedkoala

We're not, but we have a lot bigger glaring needs than goalie...So far only 1 of our 4 first rounders have made an impact in the NHL, 1 has coverted to defense and well...our draft record isn't that great. Our LW consists of one enforcer, one question mark, and one AHLer...Our RW includes only two players now...

Do you really want that depth?

I_r_1337

Jun 10, 2003
Washington D.C.
Visit site
thestonedkoala said:

Because while Harding may have average #1 goalie potential he just doesn't look like the goalie right now who can steal games and take you to the cup. Just my opinion of course but I see him as a average #1 or a great backup. Schwarz gives Minny a solid star goaltender and while you do lack depth on thw wings like you said I really don't see them passing on Schwarz.

Jon Burke

I_r_1337 said:

Pretty good mock, I'll give you credit for being different. That said, I don't really see Olesz dropping all the way to 8th overall. Zajac is definitely a little high, but it seems a lot of people think he'll move up come draft day and who am I to argue with all the experts?

I'd actually like it if the 'Nucks drafted Nokelainen, I agree he's got underrated skills, but I think Voloshenko would be a better fit if he indeed was still available.

Pretty good mock, though.

infinitesadd

May 15, 2004
Pittsburgh
I can DEFINITELY see Schremp going third. As I've said on other threads, I think he goes top 5. The talent is undeinable, and I think teams will look past the issues and draft him.

I_r_1337

Jun 10, 2003
Washington D.C.
Visit site
Danrik said:
but I think Voloshenko would be a better fit if he indeed was still available.

Pretty good mock, though.

That was actually my first instinct.. I had him typed in and even a explaination then changed my mind once moving down tot he next pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad