13 Year Anniversary of the Ottawa-Philadelphia Brawl For All

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Happy Anniversary! Interesting article and I posted a video below as well. A nice Hurme sighting as well as a #39 Jason Spezza.

https://sports.vice.com/ca/article/mayhem-in-philly-an-oral-history-of-the-epic-senators-flyers-brawl/?utm_source=vicesportsfb

Wade Redden, played 838 games on Ottawa's blueline from 1996-2007. Redden is fourth on the Senators' all-time games played list: It kind of got started when Rob Ray and Brashear were fighting. Everything was fine, it just another fight, it was a good scrap. And then Brashear pushed Brian Pothier, or kind of suckered him as he was skating off the ice. Simpson was out there at the time and he took exception to it, and then everyone got involved. Patty Lalime came down and then it was just crazy after that.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Ahhh the good old days when hockey was fun to watch. :laugh: A good reminder of how tough Fisher was dropping Hanzus & then body slamming the 6'5" centre to the ice, yrs later Fisher got into a fight with Hedman 6'6" & dropped him with one punch. Funny to see Sharp drop Spezza after a good start by Spezza.

Last edited:

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I remember a time when Brashear was on the Capitals and McGrattan challenged him to a fight in which he declined. He then went after Neil, Neil got smoked that fight. I believe the next time they fought McGrattan and him fought and Brashear got clocked with a solid punch that knocked his helmet off. Don Cherry went on a rant about it

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Why did pothier go after brashear? Pothier was not a guy who liked the physical stuff. I know the linesman was there, but if brashear got loose and they decided to let them go.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Whats the second one? Now i feel stupid.

Remember when spezza and sharp went at it right off the draw and it was just shift after shift of fighting. I don't know. Maybe I'm just splitting the same event into two. But no. I remember heatkey and spezza in the fight.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Remember when spezza and sharp went at it right off the draw and it was just shift after shift of fighting. I don't know. Maybe I'm just splitting the same event into two. But no. I remember heatkey and spezza in the fight.

It was all the same game. The Spezza fight is at 12:55 of the video.

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
I'll never forget how a few days after this, the Bertuzzi/Moore thing happened and Hitchcock was crying crocodile tears to the media asking how things could ever have come to that.

Idiot. Things escalated that far because dumb-ass coaches like yourself were willing to keep escalating things.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

That's all the same fight and it's way before heatley.

As for heatley are you thinking of buffalo when they sent out peters and he went after heatley?

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
I remember only 4 brawls in total: LA, Boston, Philly, and Buffalo. MTL in the playoffs, but the goalies never fought in that one. They did in the other ones.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I remember only 4 brawls in total: LA, Boston, Philly, and Buffalo. MTL in the playoffs, but the goalies never fought in that one. They did in the other ones.

Same here. Boston had lalime vs Dafoe. LA had hurme vs potvin. Philly had lalime vs eche. Buffalo had Emery vs biron.

Last edited:

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
I'll never forget how a few days after this, the Bertuzzi/Moore thing happened and Hitchcock was crying crocodile tears to the media asking how things could ever have come to that.

Idiot. Things escalated that far because dumb-ass coaches like yourself were willing to keep escalating things.

Toward the end of the video, Hitchcock seems to be trying to get John Leclair to go after someone. Leclair just rolls his eyes.

In the Buffalo brawl, it wasn't Miller, it was Emery vs Marty Biron in a huge mismatch. Emery was kind enough to go easy on him, then happily took on the Sabres' huge full-time goon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad