13-14 Prospects Thread Version XIX: Leafs in the WJC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Trouba would have been a great pick, or trade down and grab both Forseberg and Grigorenko, had we missed reilly.

I imagine we would have taken Trouba.

Honestly, I still like Forsberg, but Grigorenko (despite being mishandled) kinda has that Joe Colborne syndrome. Big guy, good skater who just loves to flyby the play and do nothing for some mysterious reason

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010

Honestly, I still like Forsberg, but Grigorenko (despite being mishandled) kinda has that Joe Colborne syndrome. Big guy, good skater who just loves to flyby the play and do nothing for some mysterious reason

I was super high on Zemgus Girgensons. If we hypothetically would of traded down for Buffalo's picks I would have taken Teravainen and Girgensons at 12 and 14.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto

Hampus Lindholm has looked very good for Anaheim as well. He hasn't gotten much attention due to being out West.

Last edited:

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Yup.

I've watched him a ton of times now and to me it seems his upside is Jay McClement, perhaps with slightly better skating, not that that's hard to be a better skater than McClment :laugh:

And he is a foot taller. His size will be a big reason why he succeeds (if he does). McClement was never in danger of being either a 1st round pick or a WJC member. What is it about Jay that make him comparable to a 6'5" guy who is a better skater?

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
And he is a foot taller. His size will be a big reason why he succeeds (if he does). McClement was never in danger of being either a 1st round pick or a WJC member. What is it about Jay that make him comparable to a 6'5" guy who is a better skater?

McClement wouldn't have been a shock to have been picked in the first round, he was also a key shutdown guy on two WJC in 2002/2003.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Reinhart over Finn by quite a large margin. Dumba, eh, I might be biased but I really dislike his game.

Don't like Reinhart at all. Does not excel at anything. Kind of dumb as well. Dumba will not be an NHL player. Absolutely awful every time I watch him. Terrible, terrible defensive game.

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
Don't like Reinhart at all. Does not excel at anything. Kind of dumb as well. Dumba will not be an NHL player. Absolutely awful every time I watch him. Terrible, terrible defensive game.
My thoughts exactly, lol.

I can't really speak for Finn because I haven't watched him this year.. But Morgan Rielly truly is on another dimension vs Reinhart/Dumba.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

Dumba was a guy i was worried we'd take at the draft. Some people were REALLY high on him, but i just didnt see it. Poor decision making.

Reinhart i think will be a solid NHLer, just not a franchise guy.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Dumba was a guy i was worried we'd take at the draft. Some people were REALLY high on him, but i just didnt see it. Poor decision making.

Reinhart i think will be a solid NHLer, just not a franchise guy.

As much as I criticize Rielly, he has the tools to become a #1Dman.

Reinhart has the tools to be a solid top 4 Dman. I just don't think he can be a #1 guy, or even a #2 guy on a strong defense team.

Dumba on the other hand, doesn't have the tools. He is far too small to play his physical style, his play without the puck is absolute trash, and has terrible decision making. His offense does not make up for his short comings.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Reinhart reminds me too much of the Alzner/Schenn/Gudbranson type picks. Teams always looking for that brute who could possibly be the next Foote, but it's just so rare for these guys to find top pairing success in the NHL today. The game has changed considerably, it's all speed and agility.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I think its time for Andreas Johnson to be on that list of prospects that moves across the top of the screen

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
He is the same age as JVR, just to give you some perspective. Saying he is doing well in the AHL, is not a compliment at this stage.
Still european prospects are known to be a late bloomer. As well as I said he`s been dynamite. Again I understand you example but the he wasn`t a right example to use.
Andreas Johnson is now listed at 5'10", 176 pounds.
It`s good É

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Still european prospects are known to be a late bloomer. As well as I said he`s been dynamite. Again I understand you example but the he wasn`t a right example to use.

It`s good É

Some sites had him listed at 5'9" before. Also eliteprospects had him at 172 pounds when he was drafted by the Leafs

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010

You must not watch Griff. Hockey IQ is one of his strengths. There's a lot of #1 D's out there that don't "excel" at one particular aspect. Even then, his shot and hockey IQ are up there with the highest in the dub. I just don't understand the "kind of dumb" comment. Have you watched him at all this year? He's been much better with the puck, and without the puck he is a great defender.

Reinhart reminds me too much of the Alzner/Schenn/Gudbranson type picks. Teams always looking for that brute who could possibly be the next Foote, but it's just so rare for these guys to find top pairing success in the NHL today. The game has changed considerably, it's all speed and agility.

Except Reinhart doesn't play like a brute in the slightest. And I'm sure the team drafting him would take note of that. The Oil King actually want him to be more physical. Speed is the only question right now, but he plays the game with great hockey IQ. His problems outside of skating (which are fixable) is that he reads the game a little quicker than he can play it sometimes. Learning your limitations and expanding your capabilities are all part of development though.

Anyone here who would honestly take Finn over Reinhart needs to watch Griff play.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Except Reinhart doesn't play like a brute in the slightest. And I'm sure the team drafting him would take note of that. The Oil King actually want him to be more physical. Speed is the only question right now, but he plays the game with great hockey IQ. His problems outside of skating (which are fixable) is that he reads the game a little quicker than he can play it sometimes. Learning your limitations and expanding your capabilities are all part of development though.

Anyone here who would honestly take Finn over Reinhart needs to watch Griff play.

Yeah he doesn't play like one but he has the body to become one. Kinda like how Carlyle wanted Franson to become more aggressive and hard nose in the defensive end. I don't know if that's the best comparison, but it sounds like Griff is Franson + high IQ. For what it's worth I'd certainly take him over Dumba and Finn, but I'm not sure if he could be grouped in the Murray/Rielly/Lindholm/Trouba echelon. Seems as if his ceiling is just a notch underneath these guys.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Yeah he doesn't play like one but he has the body to become one. Kinda like how Carlyle wanted Franson to become more aggressive and hard nose in the defensive end. I don't know if that's the best comparison, but it sounds like Griff is Franson + high IQ. For what it's worth I'd certainly take him over Dumba and Finn, but I'm not sure if he could be grouped in the Murray/Rielly/Lindholm/Trouba echelon. Seems as if his ceiling is just a notch underneath these guys.

Oh yeah for sure. Hmm definitely doesn't have the offensive game (not just the shot), and he doesn't make as many defensive lapses. I've always seen him as a Seabrook esque defender if he hits his potential. Maybe not a true #1, but he's a really good D.

That last point wasn't for you, as I saw you touched on it. But I agree with your ranks. I just was surprised when people were ragging on Reinhart.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
Gauthier looks great in this game, playing on the wing I think with Laughton and Anderson.

No no, he sucks and skates like sand skates and needs to be 13th fw according to one Vancouver fan :laugh:

His playing Gauthier game, simple and effective. He needs to make more power moves though. If he develops a power game to go along with his cycle game and defensive game, that would be a great step for him.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
No no, he sucks and skates like sand skates and needs to be 13th fw according to one Vancouver fan :laugh:

His playing Gauthier game, simple and effective. He needs to make more power moves though. If he develops a power game to go along with his cycle game and defensive game, that would be a great step for him.

He's not assertive enough I agree. In the first period he went outside on a defender using his speed (didn't know he could skate that well) and nearly created a chance, kind of like JVR. He needs to do that stuff more often.

But he certainly looks more comfortable with the puck then he did in the pre-tournament games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad