Prospect Info: #129 Gilles Senn (G)

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
Big guy. His stats with HC Davos look good. Not a bad pick by any means, although being 21 already leads to some suspicion. Then again goalies are a flip of the coin so you never know.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I have complete faith with shero and Cranston. Born oike lou and conte drafting jp damphouse with a first in he late 90s

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Big guy. His stats with HC Davos look good. Not a bad pick by any means, although being 21 already leads to some suspicion. Then again goalies are a flip of the coin so you never know.

I'm actually glad he's an over-ager. Drafting 18 year old goalies just seem like a lifetime away from making an impact. And we already have Blackwood waiting in the wings. Some analysts were saying this guy would have a shot at our backup spot this year which is crazy. If Kinky walks I guess it's this guy and Wedgewood battling it out?

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I'm actually glad he's an over-ager. Drafting 18 year old goalies just seem like a lifetime away from making an impact. And we already have Blackwood waiting in the wings. Some analysts were saying this guy would have a shot at our backup spot this year which is crazy. If Kinky walks I guess it's this guy and Wedgewood battling it out?
We had a Swiss fan either in the draft thread or over in the main board who put the breaks on that, expects Senn to stay in Switzerland this year and doesn't think he's ready for the NHL just yet. But, we'll see in camp. If Senn/Wedgewood aren't ready, we'll have to re-sign Kinkaid or sign another goalie to be Schneider's backup.

DeVols

#VFL
Jan 31, 2008
Knoxville, TN
We had a Swiss fan either in the draft thread or over in the main board who put the breaks on that, expects Senn to stay in Switzerland this year and doesn't think he's ready for the NHL just yet. But, we'll see in camp. If Senn/Wedgewood aren't ready, we'll have to re-sign Kinkaid or sign another goalie to be Schneider's backup.

Yeah, I think he said he was signed through 2019. However, there were linked tweets saying scouts expected him to sign as an FA this offseason. So, not really sure what to believe.

exeswiss

Jun 8, 2013
as a follower of the swiss top-league i can say senn improved ALOT from 15/16 -> 16/17 (even during the season). but he has an active contract without NHL clause till 18/19. if he's improving at a steady pace it will be a valueable pick in a year or two.

Last edited:

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Don't mind the pick. Goalies are hard to project and even though I am confident in MacBlack it's nice to have a good fall-back plan for the future. Even though he's the same age as Blackwood he could be a nice piece in a few years.

DeVols

#VFL
Jan 31, 2008
Knoxville, TN
as a follower of the swiss top-league i can say senn improved ALOT from 15/16 -> 16/17 (even during the season). but he has an active contract without NHL clause till 18/19. if he's improving at a steady pace it will be a valueable pick in a year or two.

When you say, "without NHL clause," does that mean he can or cannot come to the NHL? Just want to make sure I understand it correctly.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Maybe perhaps someone was trying to sign in as a free agent and we decided to draft him for the heck of it to have his rights? Probably not but fun to speculate.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
When you say, "without NHL clause," does that mean he can or cannot come to the NHL? Just want to make sure I understand it correctly.

There is no transfer-deal between the NHL and the LNA, so players either have to have an NHL-out clause in their contract (which allow them to cancel the contract for signing an NHL-contract) or hope that the team allow them to go.

So if the Devils would like to sign Senn now or next year they'd have to find an agreement with Senn itself and his team (HC Davos). Doesn't mean he couldn't come, probably just makes it a little bit more complicated (and perhaps also more expensive).

DeVols

#VFL
Jan 31, 2008
Knoxville, TN
There is no transfer-deal between the NHL and the LNA, so players either have to have an NHL-out clause in their contract (which allow them to cancel the contract for signing an NHL-contract) or hope that the team allow them to go.

So if the Devils would like to sign Senn now or next year they'd have to find an agreement with Senn itself and his team (HC Davos). Doesn't mean he couldn't come, probably just makes it a little bit more complicated (and perhaps also more expensive).

Understood. Thanks for explaining.

Was kind of hoping this was one of those "no question is a stupid question" questions where others were wondering the same thing :laugh:.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Interesting fact:

Davos has a good record of developing good goalies. Jonas Hiller, Reto Berra and Leonardo Genoni (probably one of the best keepers playing in Europe right now) were all developed there.
And Gilles Senn startet as 1B together with Red Wings-prospect Joren Van Pottelberghe and outplayed him. I don't think he has an upside as NHL-starter, but he could turn into a good backup-goalie for any NHL-team.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Pretty sure he can play for in north america this upcoming season. Pretty much that teams just usually pay for whats left on the contract. I know we, or someone, paid like $200,000 to get someone over here from swiz or another euro league.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Pretty sure he can play for in north america this upcoming season. Pretty much that teams just usually pay for whats left on the contract. I know we, or someone, paid like $200,000 to get someone over here from swiz or another euro league.

Like I wrote earlier...facing strong competition there with redwings prospect Joren van Pottelberghe. But I agree. He won't play ECHL. He's under contract in Davos until 2019. Will stay for next season. Might consider AHL if he feels he's close enough to make the NHL the year after. May also depend on the situation in Davos.

It's like I posted in draft thread earlier:

...he'll play for Davos next season...almost 100%. Depending on how next season goes, I guess Davos could be willing to let him go but that remains to be seen. Again...as of now, he's not NHL ready but I agree with Jonas that he may well turn into a decent NHL backup.

Last edited:

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
It was the weirdest pick bc the analysts covering the draft were just discussing who is the best off the board pick and as they start talking about him, the Devils selecte him. There were apparently interest from multiple teams and thats why he went in the 5th. This pick pleases me. Kinkaid might leave for a better opportunity. I have never been the biggest Schneider fan and He was oddly horrible last year. Let the competition begin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad