GDT: #12 | Pittsburgh Penguins @ New Jersey Devils | Feb 9th @ 1:00PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zatch88

Im stumbling spheres
Oct 20, 2011
Johnstown
chill out guys. It was obviously a poorly called game, but the only thing you can do about now is show the devils whats up tomorrow. I think the Pens are gonna be pissed and ready to play.

BigBadBoris

Apr 3, 2012
The refs made bad calls. It happens. The team needs to keep their composure. 2 or 3 bad calls is not a good excuse for what this game has turned in to. You can use this same argument the other way. Once we started taking penalties all over the place the refs were going to start calling everything borderline to keep us under control

They started to call borderline stuff way before it got out if hand. Are you seriously going to tell me the penalties Vitale got were justifed?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I never said that. My problem is with people blaming the loss on the refs.

Well, no, obviously the Penguins lost because they gave up 3 goals to the Devils while only scoring 1 themselves.

Would the 49ers have won the Super Bowl if the officials had called an obvious penalty at the end of the game? It doesn't matter, 49ers job to score more points!

Yea, the Penguins didn't score enough. Their fault for losing. Doesn't mean you don't question the refs for doing a bad job.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Well, no, obviously the Penguins lost because they gave up 3 goals to the Devils while only scoring 1 themselves.

Would the 49ers have won the Super Bowl if the officials had called an obvious penalty at the end of the game? It doesn't matter, 49ers job to score more points!

Yea, the Penguins didn't score enough. Their fault for losing. Doesn't mean you don't question the refs for doing a bad job.

they also committed too many penalties.

Hophog

Aug 7, 2006
Hershey, PA
chill out guys. It was obviously a poorly called game, but the only thing you can do about now is show the devils whats up tomorrow. I think the Pens are gonna be pissed and ready to play.

The mistake the Pens made was scoring first on their pp. I don't think the refs are out to get the Pens but there definitely seems to be a trend towards giving the other team a ton of power plays in an attempt to give them that goal back. It seems even more obvious during these afternoon games. It's either trying to even things up after feeling like they effected the game or an attempt to keep the game close but either way it hurts the NHL's credibility IMO.

Hopefully the Pens don't go out too pissed and ready to play or we will just see more trips to the box. We don't play well when we're pissed.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
they also committed too many penalties.

They didn't lose because they committed too many penalties. They lost because they gave up more goals than they scored. That's the only reason they lost.

And they were called for a lot of penalties, I don't think they committed nearly half of them :)

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
So...I guess we did not all watch the same game...

The more disciplined "ref friendly" team won? Or did the effect start before the cause?

Heres how i seen it.

They missed or non-called the Sid interference in the 1st. Sid gave the stripes a bit of lip. Few whistles later, i watched DB pointing to the spot of that play and giving the stripes more lip.

From that point on, refs were dinging the Pens for everything. The 2nd Vitale board etc.

And the 3rd was just a mess. I realize you're frustrated but you have to stop looking at the refs after every little thing. They certainly won't help you or respond to you if you try and put them on the spot.

BigBadBoris

Apr 3, 2012
I am not. where did I say they were? I straight up said there were bad calls in the post you quoted...

You said that the refs started to call borderline stuff to keep us under control? When in fact they started to call that stuff way before all the undisciplined penalties occured.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
They didn't lose because they committed too many penalties. They lost because they gave up more goals than they scored. That's the only reason they lost.

And they were called for a lot of penalties, I don't think they committed nearly half of them :)

ok I think we're done here.

Hophog

Aug 7, 2006
Hershey, PA
Heres how i seen it.

They missed or non-called the Sid interference in the 1st. Sid gave the stripes a bit of lip. Few whistles later, i watched DB pointing to the spot of that play and giving the stripes more lip.

From that point on, refs were dinging the Pens for everything. The 2nd Vitale board etc.

And the 3rd was just a mess. I realize you're frustrated but you have to stop looking at the refs after every little thing. They certainly won't help you or respond to you if you try and put them on the spot.

I agree. Refs are typically A-holes and instead of feeling bad for missing a call tend to try to make you regret bringing it to their attention. Better off rolling your eyes and keeping your mouth shut.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
You most definitely get more respect from refs if you keep your trap shut. Refs are just as hot headed as most coaches are. Try and show them up and you're going to be in the box all game.

People don't go to games to see them hand out penalties and destroy a game over a grudge.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Officiating wasn't great but the Pens also played some undisciplined hockey. They need to stay disciplined, it is absolutely key to play smart hockey in these divisional games.

They need to watch hitting on the wall as well, we've been screwed too many times with "boarding" time to go in there with your forearm against the player and get the puck with your stick along the boards. We can't hit people against the wall anymore.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Heres how i seen it.

Will you continue to watch the NHL if this trend continues.

I certainly won't. Bush-league today, and I'm certain in many others that don't even include the Pens.

Hophog

Aug 7, 2006
Hershey, PA
Officiating wasn't great but the Pens also played some undisciplined hockey. They need to stay disciplined, it is absolutely key to play smart hockey in these divisional games.

They need to watch hitting on the wall as well, we've been screwed too many times with "boarding" time to go in there with your forearm against the player and get the puck with your stick along the boards. We can't hit people against the wall anymore.

That seems like the easy answer but then their letting other teams exit the zone untouched and people start screaming that their not playing motivated hockey. I don't see our D getting free passes along the boards. Like I said before, it may behoove us to start turning our backs and taking dives in the corner and around the boards. The Refs will probably stop calling it once both sides start doing it constantly.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Will you continue to watch the NHL if this trend continues.

I certainly won't. Bush-league today, and I'm certain in many others that don't even include the Pens.

I've seen this trend continue in many Pens games, even going back to the playoffs last year.

I realize that refs should keep a level head but they are human afterall.

Also, a coach like Babcock may garner more respect from the officials than a DB. What is very evident is the Pens don't gain much from doing so, not only will refs pocket their whistles but the Pens will get frustrated every single time on top of that and put themselves even more behind the 8-ball when you're trying to win hockey games.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Closing 'er down... if you've got some constructive + - stuff, head over to the post-game thread. We're over 900 posts anyway...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad