Injury Report: 12/9 Brown

JayP812

The Team of Tomorrow
Aug 16, 2010
Bay Area
Gotta feel for him, out for a good part of the season, plays 8 games, gets a separate injury, and he's gonna miss another chunk. Sure, he's not a gem of a player, but his career will take big hit if injuries are long term.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Sorry for Brown as a person, but this is very good for the team...gives more playing time to they young guys who have a lot more value than he does.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
Brown brings something no one else that's healthy on this team brings so unless someone incorporates that physical energy he brings, the Sharks are going to miss Brown.

Barclay has been tearing it up recently. I'd take him over Brown. The way him and Weber were going at it was beautiful!

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Barclay has been tearing it up recently. I'd take him over Brown. The way him and Weber were going at it was beautiful!

That bit against Nashville was the first time someone got under the other team's skin. I'd need a little more consistency with that aspect of the game before anointing them as the guy for that going forward.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
That bit against Nashville was the first time someone got under the other team's skin. I'd need a little more consistency with that aspect of the game before anointing them as the guy for that going forward.

Are you seriously telling me that you'd rather have Brown in over Goodrow? Brown doesn't provide anything that Goodrow can't - or can't grow into and provide additional items on top of. Putting Goodrow there over Brown would pay dividends in the playoffs when you want grit AND skill.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Are you seriously telling me that you'd rather have Brown in over Goodrow? Brown doesn't provide anything that Goodrow can't - or can't grow into and provide additional items on top of. Putting Goodrow there over Brown would pay dividends in the playoffs when you want grit AND skill.

Like I said, until someone incorporates what Brown brings into their game on a consistent basis, Brown should have a spot on that 4th line when he's healthy. Until the Nashville game, Goodrow nor anybody else has brought that physical energy, let alone on a consistent basis. I'm not willing to just give it to Goodrow because he did it this one time out of the 16 games he's played. Of course Goodrow is the better all-around player. But that one thing that Brown brings pretty much every game is a very much necessary thing to have for this team.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
I suppose I'm just in the minority - I feel that the "good" that Brown brings is not as good as the overall effect of developing a multi-functional 4th line/3rd line tweener. Lines that can score and add depth are what eventually break playoff series.

This has been something everyone's seen in the various final runs throughout the years.

I would rather see Desi, Goodrow, Hayes, Karlson, and Torres in the lineup before Brown... and I like Brown. I just think he's been replaced and find it ridiculous that he got a 2 year deal from DW at that cap rate.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I suppose I'm just in the minority - I feel that the "good" that Brown brings is not as good as the overall effect of developing a multi-functional 4th line/3rd line tweener. Lines that can score and add depth are what eventually break playoff series.

This has been something everyone's seen in the various final runs throughout the years.

I would rather see Desi, Goodrow, Hayes, Karlson, and Torres in the lineup before Brown... and I like Brown. I just think he's been replaced and find it ridiculous that he got a 2 year deal from DW at that cap rate.

I would too but Brown's physical energy is an absolute must and until someone actually brings that on the regular, he has to be in there.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Brown is fine in small doses. His physical play rubs off on his teammates.

His cap hit is insignificant. The team has plenty of money to spend if they wanted to.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
This is good for the team absolutely, even though I really feel for Brown on a personal level.

No one is complaining about his cap hit, we have plenty of space. What we're complaining about is that he takes up a roster spot that would be better used by a kid.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
This is good for the team absolutely, even though I really feel for Brown on a personal level.

No one is complaining about his cap hit, we have plenty of space. What we're complaining about is that he takes up a roster spot that would be better used by a kid.

BrianSmith did.

His style leaves him on the ir as much as on the 23-man roster, so he really isn't eating a roster spot all the time.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Mueller vs. Anaheim?

I can give you that but my issue is more along the lines of someone going out there and laying the body to create jump in the team than it is agitating but agitating is one way to do it. Either way, nobody is doing it with consistency and Brown does that fairly consistently when he's in and running around out there. I mean, if he's going to play and suck, at least he creates some energy to provide some use. lol

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
I can give you that but my issue is more along the lines of someone going out there and laying the body to create jump in the team than it is agitating but agitating is one way to do it. Either way, nobody is doing it with consistency and Brown does that fairly consistently when he's in and running around out there. I mean, if he's going to play and suck, at least he creates some energy to provide some use. lol

The cap hit was mentioned as one of many reasons - I have issue with his contract in general. Brown should NOT have garnered his contract both for term and cap hit. Does it matter on this team? No, but still I shake my head at that signing by DW.

The other points in my post are what I really focus on. And I believe physicality is more of a team point - take a look at the Bruins game - we were all hitting. I don't know why this switch gets turned on/off but Brown is not significant in the big picture. I'd rather they use him sparingly to give someone with bumps/bruises a rest, but to play him over the players I suggested is just something I do not agree with.

Brown has his ceiling whereas most of the other players are just getting into the NHL. Helping them to break out now will pay dividends later on the year, particularly when the alternative is the press box.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The cap hit was mentioned as one of many reasons - I have issue with his contract in general. Brown should NOT have garnered his contract both for term and cap hit. Does it matter on this team? No, but still I shake my head at that signing by DW.

The other points in my post are what I really focus on. And I believe physicality is more of a team point - take a look at the Bruins game - we were all hitting. I don't know why this switch gets turned on/off but Brown is not significant in the big picture. I'd rather they use him sparingly to give someone with bumps/bruises a rest, but to play him over the players I suggested is just something I do not agree with.

Brown has his ceiling whereas most of the other players are just getting into the NHL. Helping them to break out now will pay dividends later on the year, particularly when the alternative is the press box.

I agree with the principle of the matter on the signing. It's an issue that has been fairly consistent with DW regarding depth signings and is often overlooked by the fans because of how insignificant it is against the cap.

Ideally, the team is all hitting. The fact is that they don't more often than not and they need a guy that gets that big hit to create energy. This team oftens sleepwalks into the first period and needs a jolt to get going.

I agree he is not significant in the big picture and he is very replaceable but that one element that he does bring is vital to this team's success on a lot of nights. If they can get that out of anyone else on a regular basis, I would have no problems getting rid of him. The way this team is built, they don't have that. That's the only reason why he has value to this team. If this team had a healthy Raffi Torres, we would have absolutely no need for Mike Brown.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Brown is a good dude and brings effort and physicality and attitude that this team needs. Maybe Goodrow, Desi and Dillon can keep giving that same type of edge going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad