GDT: 12/31/16 - Wild vs. Blue Jackets - 5PM CT / 1AM Suomi - FSN - Unsustainabowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Yeah, no kidding. If I'm honest though, it kinda smacked me upside the head with how much I actually miss legitimate fighting in the NHL. Don't get me wrong, I am totally happy without two 3 minutes-per-night face punchers going through the motions once per game, but this was NOT that, by a longshot.
X2. Some fights are good. Really miss the line brawls.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Thing is, I feel like some people who love "old time hockey" are paradoxically the same ones who are utterly sold on the whole "the game's great the way it is!!1!" party line when it comes to the decline in goal scoring and the rise of defensive play. So that's where I draw the line, personally. I really miss the passion and genuine emotion I felt when watching games as a younger lad, but I also miss the damn scoring! But then, that's a topic for another time, I suppose.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Thing is, I feel like some people who love "old time hockey" are paradoxically the same ones who are utterly sold on the whole "the game's great the way it is!!1!" party line when it comes to the decline in goal scoring and the rise of defensive play. So that's where I draw the line, personally. I really miss the passion and genuine emotion I felt when watching games as a younger lad, but I also miss the damn scoring! But then, that's a topic for another time, I suppose.

I don't see a problem at all with current level scoring.

There were a lot of one sided games back in the day when scoring was so much higher. The games these days are better overall quality since defense is played on a level never before seen.

Quality defensive play is much more fun to watch in a 4-2, 3-2 game than a game that is 8-3, 7-4.

There is much more tension in the avg modern day game when two teams are playing at the top of their game.

Just bring back the line brawls and the game would be perfect! ;)

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
I don't see a problem at all with current level scoring.

There were a lot of one sided games back in the day when scoring was so much higher. The games these days are better overall quality since defense is played on a level never before seen.

Quality defensive play is much more fun to watch in a 4-2, 3-2 game than a game that is 8-3, 7-4.

There is much more tension in the avg modern day game when two teams are playing at the top of their game.

Just bring back the line brawls and the game would be perfect! ;)

That is extremely subjective, but again, a topic for another time/thread ;) Let's just agree that they need to let teams actually hate each other again :naughty:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
That is extremely subjective, but again, a topic for another time/thread ;) Let's just agree that they need to let teams actually hate each other again :naughty:

Well... IMO it comes down to scoring being too easy reduces the value and thus is less fun in each individual instant.

It's why basketball is basically a waste of time outside the last 2mins of a game... scoring is too easy.

In today's game there is a GREAT balance of offense and defense, and thus a single goal has high value and is in itself more fun.

It's a more well rounded product today IMO and that's why I enjoy the current setup, just wish they'd allow the emotion back in... bring on the hate, bring on the 183 penalty minute games!

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Hey guys and gals.....a CBJ fan stopping by. I just want to say kudos to your team and fans. My opinion was that the Wild really put forth an effort and stepped up to the challenge. Since the CBJ moved to the East, I just haven't watched as much Wild hockey. I was impressed that your team was as fast as it was. Going into the game, I thought the CBJ would have a speed advantage. But after watching, I'm not so certain. That goal to open the 3rd period was a thing of beauty. And the decision to go top shelf on Bobrovsky was exactly the right decision. He covers the bottom so well but can be had up top.

What sucks is you can actually point to a few specific players not performing as major culprits: Parise... I mean I know his heart's in it, but sweet jesus, how do you miss that open net?!? That was the first major turning point for me.

There has been a lot of talk about if the CBJ streak is luck or if they are really good. As I have watched this streak (seen them all so far), there have been a number of times when guys have whiffed on open nets. It's almost like the Hockey Gods are now beginning to repay the CBJ for 16 years of futility. Borealis is correct. If that goes in, the game could have played out totally different.

But what I really came to say was just the energy that the fans put into the arena for the game. Good on you guys! It really came through on television. I moved away from the Columbus area several years ago so I watched the game on Center Ice and listened to the Fox North feed. After checking the OSU football score, I even came back to watch your post-game show just to learn a bit more about your club, since I don't get to see them much. I had an opportunity to attend a Minn-CBJ game in St. Paul about 10 years ago. It was great. The Wild won - I wore my CBJ gear but the fans were so welcoming and engaging.

Good luck to the Wild the rest of the way. Keep the pressure on the Blackhawks - their depth has been stripped away and I actually think Minnesota has better goal tending and better depth. I see no reason why the Wild can't given them a good hard run for the Division Championship. Happy New Year!

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Hey guys and gals.....a CBJ fan stopping by. I just want to say kudos to your team and fans. My opinion was that the Wild really put forth an effort and stepped up to the challenge. Since the CBJ moved to the East, I just haven't watched as much Wild hockey. I was impressed that your team was as fast as it was. Going into the game, I thought the CBJ would have a speed advantage. But after watching, I'm not so certain. That goal to open the 3rd period was a thing of beauty. And the decision to go top shelf on Bobrovsky was exactly the right decision. He covers the bottom so well but can be had up top.

There has been a lot of talk about if the CBJ streak is luck or if they are really good. As I have watched this streak (seen them all so far), there have been a number of times when guys have whiffed on open nets. It's almost like the Hockey Gods are now beginning to repay the CBJ for 16 years of futility. Borealis is correct. If that goes in, the game could have played out totally different.

But what I really came to say was just the energy that the fans put into the arena for the game. Good on you guys! It really came through on television. I moved away from the Columbus area several years ago so I watched the game on Center Ice and listened to the Fox North feed. After checking the OSU football score, I even came back to watch your post-game show just to learn a bit more about your club, since I don't get to see them much. I had an opportunity to attend a Minn-CBJ game in St. Paul about 10 years ago. It was great. The Wild won - I wore my CBJ gear but the fans were so welcoming and engaging.

Good luck to the Wild the rest of the way. Keep the pressure on the Blackhawks - their depth has been stripped away and I actually think Minnesota has better goal tending and better depth. I see no reason why the Wild can't given them a good hard run for the Division Championship. Happy New Year!
Happy new year to you as well!

I said it on the main board thread, but I'll be pulling for CBJ the rest of the year to come out of the east!

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
I was born in Cleveland (but moved to Minnesota when I was only 1 1/2 years old) and would love to see the Wild/Blue Jackets in the Stanley Cup Finals.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
the bluejackets looked fast & relaxed, they won the majority of the races to the pucks. we looked tense & not relaxed. dubnyk back to back 4GA is scary. he could be playing injured. we lost , no puck luck nothing else to really say about that game.

It is Wild World

Dec 28, 2016
Somalia
Watching the game I understood why CBJ are as good as they have been.

I was thinking since Minnesota had the more experienced team, they would use to their advantage , but CBJ seemed to be the calm and collective ones, while MINN were bit nervous and trying too hard hence loosing their identity.

Also Parise was black hole. The team seems to have played better without him so far this season. That is our $9 million/ yr man:cry:

Grover

Jul 8, 2012
Minnesota
Would have been a completely different game if Parise buried the wide open net that he completely failed on

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Hope the jackets lose every game for rest of season

Not me. I hate Ohio (Michigan Alumni) but that fanbase has never had something to smile at. Even when they traded for players they ended up trading them right away because they effectively refused to play there.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Parise's buy out numbers look more and more appealing...

5 years of moderate cap-hit (500k-1.5M), followed by 1 year of 3.5M, followed by 3 years of 7.5-8.5, followed by 9 years of 2M is appealing? 6 years of saving on his caphit followed by 12 years of at or above what his caphit would be?

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
5 years of moderate cap-hit (500k-1.5M), followed by 1 year of 3.5M, followed by 3 years of 7.5-8.5, followed by 9 years of 2M is appealing? 6 years of saving on his caphit followed by 12 years of at or above what his caphit would be?

The numbers haven't changed, but he has become a borderline 3rd liner.
2M is nothing compared to losing players like Coyle, Granlund, Niederreiter or Haula because of his cap hit.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Watching the game I understood why CBJ are as good as they have been.

I was thinking since Minnesota had the more experienced team, they would use to their advantage , but CBJ seemed to be the calm and collective ones, while MINN were bit nervous and trying too hard hence loosing their identity.

There have been a couple times when the CBJ have come out and played the 1st period tight and he coaches sense they are playing not to lose.

At the end of the 1st period, Tortorella has told them (paraphrase) "look......if you are going to lose, don't lose trying not to make a mistake.....lose by trying to make a play.....if you make a mistake, make it going all out and playing the way you know you can.

In the 2 cases when that story found its way out of the locker room, the CBJ just smoked the opponent in the 2nd period and essentially took over the game.

If you really listen to what Tortorella says, he doesn't do so much coaching on systems and schemes and plays. He is coaching them on how to battle the mental aspect of the game. It's the first time in 16 years I have seen this. If it was done before in Columbus, it certainly has never manifest its self for an extended time.

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
MIN-CBJ Stanley Cup Finals - yes, please

MIN: Dooby-Dubnyk in a best of 7 probably will be better than he was this time
MIN: Parise will be better than he was this time - (or he is injured through the final series and someone healthy replaces him, there is some depth)

Shakeywalton

Jul 7, 2006
Yeah, no kidding. If I'm honest though, it kinda smacked me upside the head with how much I actually miss legitimate fighting in the NHL. Don't get me wrong, I am totally happy without two 3 minutes-per-night face punchers going through the motions once per game, but this was NOT that, by a longshot.

Don't get you wrong in what way?

Those 2 fights were the best parts of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad