Marlies Discussion: 12'/13' Marlies Part I|36-20-2-6|Prospects stepping up with the NHL back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Unfortunate, wrote a lengthy game report, but didn't save it when thread was closed. Too tired to do it again. All I'll say is Devane's goal was not a cheap one, it was a goal scorer's goal. #snipe on a breakaway.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Unfortunate, wrote a lengthy game report, but didn't save it when thread was closed. Too tired to do it again. All I'll say is Devane's goal was not a cheap one, it was a goal scorer's goal. #snipe on a breakaway.

Big guys got some hands? Nice

Despite the loss, I'm glad to hear the second tier prospects are stepping up now with the NHL back .. With Kadri and Frattin making an impact with the Leafs, we're finally starting to see the results of this "draft, develop, promote" method .. Just have to stick with it until the Leafs are in a position to contend for the cup and moving some assets to make that final push is a reasonable.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Big guys got some hands? Nice

Despite the loss, I'm glad to hear the second tier prospects are stepping up now with the NHL back .. With Kadri and Frattin making an impact with the Leafs, we're finally starting to see the results of this "draft, develop, promote" method .. Just have to stick with it until the Leafs are in a position to contend for the cup and moving some assets to make that final push is a reasonable.

I was impressed by Ashton the most last night, he's big, fast, involved, annoying to play against, you notice him every shift, if he could develop a touch around the net, he would be a very nice player. I see him as a 3rd line checker, his upside depends on his touch around the net. But he's got all the rest of the tools.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I was impressed by Ashton the most last night, he's big, fast, involved, annoying to play against, you notice him every shift, if he could develop a touch around the net, he would be a very nice player. I see him as a 3rd line checker, his upside depends on his touch around the net. But he's got all the rest of the tools.

He'll push hard for a spot next year.

Carlyle will love his skillset.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He'll push hard for a spot next year.

Carlyle will love his skillset.

Carter knows what type of player that will make him successful in the NHL, Colborne I wish I knew, 3rd line Checking C or top 6 playmaker. He's a big kid that could be very good as a Checking C, he's finallly filling in, he's got to find his way, a line with Biggs, Ashton, and Colborne could potentially be a good one. All 3 guys are big, can cycle, good defensively and all are former 1st rd picks.

kilgro

Tank nation
Dec 3, 2007
Toronto
Devane is money on breakaways. I remember him burrying a couple in those scrimmages amongst other leafs prospects. I'm really rooting for him to make it for us eventually

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Devane is money on breakaways. I remember him burrying a couple in those scrimmages amongst other leafs prospects. I'm really rooting for him to make it for us eventually

Jamie didn't look out of place at all, he was asserting himself after scrums, on the faceoff circle, and infront of the net. Infact he and the rest of the 09 draft class looked better than Connolly last night.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If only he had skill. The guy has zero offensive awareness. Unfortunately I don't see him panning out at all.

He's not a highly skilled player. More of a grinder guy that will score his goals around the net.

He's got a good shot though, mix that with his energy and willingness to crash the net, I think he's going to pan out just fine.

Perhaps his offensive game hasn't developed like some thought it might when he was drafted but he definitely has the potential to be a strong third line player that can fill in the top 6.

kilgro

Tank nation
Dec 3, 2007
Toronto
Jamie didn't look out of place at all, he was asserting himself after scrums, on the faceoff circle, and infront of the net. Infact he and the rest of the 09 draft class looked better than Connolly last night.

Agreed. Not to mention the bonehead penalty Connolly took with his team on the powerplay and down 4-1. Blackers goal was a beauty too

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Agreed. Not to mention the bonehead penalty Connolly took with his team on the powerplay and down 4-1. Blackers goal was a beauty too

The Bulldogs played a very aggressive game last night, Gardiner got belted into the boards, got me a little worried. The only time they were not running around was when Devane was on the ice, he was actually doing the pushing. Not too many players want to dance with him. He's a beaut.

Dwight K Schrute

Nov 30, 2009
Scranton
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Just chatted with Brian Burke who says after about a month of traveling engagements, he's going back to the rink. Will scout Marlies tomrw

what is this supposed to mean? Why would he scout the Marlies?

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Just chatted with Brian Burke who says after about a month of traveling engagements, he's going back to the rink. Will scout Marlies tomrw

To give his opinion on players if asked?

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

It sure was a sweet goal. Hopefully he can keep developing his hockey skills. Would be great to a willing enforcer who can also handle the puck on the 4th line.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Interactif, what kind of upside do you see in Devane? He's got me really intrigued since his final year of junior. I thought he was going to only make it as an enforcer at one point, but he's showing that maybe there's more to him than we had originally thought.

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
Joe Colborne

The more i watch him the less i think he's going to be an impact player in the NHL. I gave Burke the benefit of the doubt when he held out for Colborne when he was offered Wheeler but man this is shaping up to be yet another Burke blunder.

FireEverybody*

Colborne, Biggs, Liles for Kaberle ... such a huge blunder.
:help:

12345*

The more i watch him the less i think he's going to be an impact player in the NHL. I gave Burke the benefit of the doubt when he held out for Colborne when he was offered Wheeler but man this is shaping up to be yet another Burke blunder.

He was always been a serious project. To people that actually know about the prospects above what media reports, Colbourne is a centerman with size, soft hands and good offensive IQ. His skating is reasonable and has improved. His issue has always been intensity and effort -- when he's motivated, he can play the game. When he's not, he disappears.

Strengths - size, soft hands, off IQ, passing
Okay - skating
Weakness - consistency, intensity, effort, strength on puck

Those weaknesses make him a flyer because they are player centric and innate. Sometimes the switch turns on, many times it doesn't. So while he has potential, he is far from a sure thing. He's still a young man - if it takes till 24-25, so be it. Some people take longer to develop.

I'm not sure why so many of you are impatient. Player development often takes years. Only the best of the best make an impact right away. Many take 2-5 years. Most never make it.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site

Look at this guy, was let go by the team and still willing to help anyway he can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad