Prospect Info: #110 LD Daniil Orlov, Sakhalinskiye MHL

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Daniil Orlov #62, white jersey, MHL, Spartak vs Dynamo, 28 sept 2022, all actions, good and bad. Made assist in the game.

Finally, I found time to make video about Orlov. I understand what Fitz is actually is trying to build and find on the draft. Orlov is a "modern defensive defenseman", who is very good skater, can join the rush, help with transition, play with the stick and control the gaps very tightly. I like how he control the gap, how he is closing the zones. Good stick work, very good positional game.

Last edited:

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Im starting new year of videos with action moments with the first season game of Daniil Orlov #62. 19 yo Devils top-10 prospect\top-5 defensive prospect, devils fans are not familiar with.
Playing for Spartak(KHL), played his D+1 in MHL\VHL(AHL analog in Russia)\KHL, was injurеd big part of the previous season.
Daniil Orlov at eliteprospects.com -statisticks

Defenseman Daniil Orlov is #62, red jersey. Spartak vs Kunlun. 2 sept 2023.
Orlov made five shots on goal, recorded an assist, and spent 12 minutes and 23 seconds on the ice. He did not play for the special teams. In general, a pretty good game, except for the moment with the fourth goal - Spartak plays deep in the opponent's zone, the Kunlun players taked away the puck and Orlov didn`t work well on backcheck. Otherwise, he closed the gaps well, blocked driving on the net, joined the cycle deep into the offensive zone several times, making his way to the net sneaky. Excellent skating, physics is there, helps in transition, good puck control, faster and mobile on the start.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Im starting new year of videos with action moments with the first season game of Daniil Orlov #62. 19 yo Devils top-10 prospect\top-5 defensive prospect, devils fans are not familiar with.
Playing for Spartak(KHL), played his D+1 in MHL\VHL(AHL analog in Russia)\KHL, was injurеd big part of the previous season.
Daniil Orlov at eliteprospects.com -statisticks

Defenseman Daniil Orlov is #62, red jersey. Spartak vs Kunlun. 2 sept 2023.
Orlov made five shots on goal, recorded an assist, and spent 12 minutes and 23 seconds on the ice. He did not play for the special teams. In general, a pretty good game, except for the moment with the fourth goal - Spartak plays deep in the opponent's zone, the Kunlun players taked away the puck and Orlov didn`t work well on backcheck. Otherwise, he closed the gaps well, blocked driving on the net, joined the cycle deep into the offensive zone several times, making his way to the net sneaky. Excellent skating, physics is there, helps in transition, good puck control, faster and mobile on the start.

Thanks for sharing that. He makes it look easy. Not too many players look free flowing and smooth when they are so young. Hopefully you get to share more with us. Even the goal agsinst I’d say was more on his partner than him. Good stuff and very encouraging for Orlov

Reactions: Guadana

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Thanks for sharing that. He makes it look easy. Not too many players look free flowing and smooth when they are so young. Hopefully you get to share more with us. Even the goal agsinst I’d say was more on his partner than him. Good stuff and very encouraging for Orlov
I agree that the first who should covered the central ice, it wasnt Orlov, but it was in his power to stop opponent.
I will share more. Looks like he will achive more ice time if he will continue to play this way. Coaches supported him previous season, it was injury that limit his performance season ago.
He is quite strong, 6`2 two-way defenseman with very good mobility. If we can compare him with Shakir, he isn`t as good as playmaker but still very good passer. He is much faster with his first steps. He needs to work on his positional game against the rushes, but he isnt bad at it for his age, he is good. just notice he needs to work on it. He isn`t perfect positionally on the boards but he shows good game on the boards overall and show signs of potential great work on the boards. I like his offensive potential, because with his fast first steps he can join the rush, dive deep into the zone. For now he needs to work more on the transitional and escaping, but again - nothing bad for 19 yo player who is playing in KHL.

Very impressive first game of the season. Like I said before in other topic, his production was pretty in the line with Nikishin`s production. They are both developed in the same system of Spartak. Nikishin is bigger and stronger, but Orlov is 6`2 and can gain more muscles. Nikishin is a better passer, Orlov is faster and better skater. I`m not saying that we have second Nikishin with Orlov, they are different players, but the sign that Spartak developing another good two way defenseman, are here.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I agree that the first who should covered the central ice, it wasnt Orlov, but it was in his power to stop opponent.
I will share more. Looks like he will achive more ice time if he will continue to play this way. Coaches supported him previous season, it was injury that limit his performance season ago.
He is quite strong, 6`2 two-way defenseman with very good mobility. If we can compare him with Shakir, he isn`t as good as playmaker but still very good passer. He is much faster with his first steps. He needs to work on his positional game against the rushes, but he isnt bad at it for his age, he is good. just notice he needs to work on it. He isn`t perfect positionally on the boards but he shows good game on the boards overall and show signs of potential great work on the boards. I like his offensive potential, because with his fast first steps he can join the rush, dive deep into the zone. For now he needs to work more on the transitional and escaping, but again - nothing bad for 19 yo player who is playing in KHL.

Very impressive first game of the season. Like I said before in other topic, his production was pretty in the line with Nikishin`s production. They are both developed in the same system of Spartak. Nikishin is bigger and stronger, but Orlov is 6`2 and can gain more muscles. Nikishin is a better passer, Orlov is faster and better skater. I`m not saying that we have second Nikishin with Orlov, they are different players, but the sign that Spartak developing another good two way defenseman, are here.
He is quite a good skater and plays with a lot of confidence. I’m excited to see him develop his game. The defense is going to take some work but he has time. He skates wi th more pace than Mukhamadullin did at the same age. He’s not the home run passer that Mukh is but he is more aggressive at the point to my eyes. We will see where he goes from here but for a later round pick it’s a heck of a start.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
@Guadana any update on him this season ? I see he has played 33 games in the KHL and only played 2 games in MHL and VHL. He turns 20 this month so to be a KHL regular at his age as a defensman must be a good sign right ? It's a bit harder to get info on guys like him , Barbosha and Kaprovich aside from checking their Elite prospects pages.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
@Guadana any update on him this season ? I see he has played 33 games in the KHL and only played 2 games in MHL and VHL. He turns 20 this month so to be a KHL regular at his age as a defensman must be a good sign right ? It's a bit harder to get info on guys like him , Barbosha and Kaprovich aside from checking their Elite prospects pages.
Ups and downs this season. Overall I like his game but when he is making mistake, he immediatly losing ice time, Spartak is trying to win big this season. He actively playing as 7th defenseman from the start. He is active two way defenseman full season and he is making good first passes. Great skating and speed. Need experience and time. 8.41 TOI per game. May be I will find a time to make a video on new year holidays.

Games of Karpovich are available on youtube. KHL stats are available on khl site, its not very good but still better than theahldotcom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad