GDT: 11/29/13 - 4:00PM EDT - Pittsburgh VS Tampa Bay

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I think at times all fan bases are hard on some guys not deserving? Hedman played awesomely to me. He broke some sticks shoot he did a pass that broke a stick.

Killorn had a penalty but also two good scoring chances so made up for it. Barberio got a couple through on offense that we didnt tip but were real threats. He played ok to me. Marty wasnt relevant and that is the big hurt. To beat boston and crosby malkin our best guys need to be just that our best players. They should have 2-3 or 5 scoring opportunities for some reason we seem not to get that.

Purcell tip in so close. Another slapper beautifully set up no goal:( but very happy with him overall. Fippula really nothing. Brown Kucherov very solid games kucherov not as good as last two but he got robbed two times for sure.

The gun line panik a mistake but had two chances that were real and good back checking d by pitt kept them lucky:( Tyjo really good couple or even few times he was close. Palat? Not a great game just nothing to add for him but solid. Carle great d game but nothing really offensively salo the same. Sustr just ok. Brewer some nice hits actually very solid game. Bishop one couldnt do a thing about other weak goal and that happens but 9/10 times he gets that second goal so will take it.

So you look at that we had legit 5-6 scoring chances and no seeing eye pucks. We were sooo close.

Easier month ahead on to the next one as said when we lost earlier to this guys I cannot wait honestly to see them if we do in April I think by than we can beat them with healthy team and the youth progressing. Much more concerned about a series with Boston or Detroit which has woken up for sure and I believe begins to run away with the East. They are playing their best hockey of the year without datsyuk that is very scary to me. Beat boston 6-1 and dominated them and now beat islanders 5-0 and again domination and zetterberg? The NY game did nothing. Playing like a team the kids tatar and nyquist are coming through and helm looks better than ever. Weiss still struggling that team gets it together they are going to be tough honestly.

2-3 more months to grow get back stamkos we should be ok:) Marty is not playing best marty yet and if doesnt for full year and plays best marty when stammer is back im ok with that:) Since will be close to playoffs lol.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Pittsburgh just scored in his chances and we didn't, we didn't get dominated or anything.

I thought Hedman and Sustr played quite good.

I'm starting to get a bit annoyed with Panik play, I don't see him as intense as he could be playing

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Pittsburgh just scored in his chances and we didn't, we didn't get dominated or anything.

I thought Hedman and Sustr played quite good.

I'm starting to get a bit annoyed with Panik play, I don't see him as intense as he could be playing

I had the same thought. Feels like the last 2-3 games he's turned back into the "other" Richard Panik. The one that's short on effort.

walle

Sep 9, 2008
Northpole
I can almost see a scenario where Panik gets sent down once Stammers back and Killorn is demoted to the 3rd line.

Killorn is already on 3rd line. Kids line have been getting the tough assigments in the last two atleast. Matched against Giroux and Crosby no less. Killorn-line should be producing something if they get matched against opponent 3rd lines.

Also, if Panik is sent down and Killorn takes his spot and IF it makes TJ line stronger, it would a promotion from his current situation not a demotion. Frankly, how good TJ has been playing it could be consired as the 2nd line in the future. Even possible outperforming Flip in that role! Flip did look good early but did not light up the scoresheet! So far TJ and Flip on 5v5, are both minus one!(e: TJ actually +1) I could see greater end result from making TJ "shutdown" and having Flip to play lesser competition. Or Flip plays wing with Stamkos, Panik regains form and keeps his spot, and Killorn keeps at center with Purcell/Brown/Kuch. Having one of them in the 4th line could also be worth it and allowing midgame changes, depending who's cold and hot. Make anyone accountable!

Earlier in the season I though we missed one solid winger. Brown and Kucherov have kinda filled that, even with Stamkos out. Very happy about it. My excitement for the team is skyrocketed because of that. This team looks good!

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I'm in no way disappointed in that game. We're a little more dinged up than most realize, and we hung in there pretty well, MAF just had one hell of a game. No shame in that.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I had the same thought. Feels like the last 2-3 games he's turned back into the "other" Richard Panik. The one that's short on effort.

A few games ago, I seen Panik take a vicious hit into the boards while retrieving the puck, and he looked a little shaken up while he skated off. I wonder if he isn't hurt. He's been playing a more finesse style ever since which isn't his ideal style of play. Hedman took a solid open ice hit while rushing the puck up the ice yesterday and seemed to back off offensively.

Sometimes these guys struggle due to explainable reasons that we will never know about.

Maybe somebody dropped a cement block on Killorn's head, crushing the cause and effect portion of his brain. That could explain the penalties?

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
Anyone notice the icetime vs the pens? Johnson had all forwards beat and was -2, his line was out there a lot.. I'm thinking if we had the other lines playing more we could have gotten more offense going...

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Anyone notice the icetime vs the pens? Johnson had all forwards beat and was -2, his line was out there a lot.. I'm thinking if we had the other lines playing more we could have gotten more offense going...

It's because the Johnson line was matched up against the Crosby line for most of the night.

walle

Sep 9, 2008
Northpole
http://www.extraskater.com/game/2013-11-29-penguins-lightning
5v5
Johnson Corsi 8-10 Fenwick 6-7 Shots 4-3 14.6min (12.1 vs Crosby)
Offzone 3 Neutzone 5 Def zone 2 faceoffs
Crosby C 13-7 F 9-6 S 4-3 16 min
3-5-5

Filppula C 21-8 F 15-7 S 8-6 12.8min (9.1 vs Malkin)
3-1-9
Malkin C 11-12 F 9-8 S 7-6 12.4min
7-3-3

Killorn C 9-15 F 5-11 S 2-9 13min (7min vs Sutter)
5-5-2
Sutter C 10-12 F 8-7 S 4-3 12.2min
3-3-5

Flip and TJ, YAY. Killorn, NAY

All that big pressure from Flip line came against some scrubs, too bad they couldnt cash in there. Still was very strong consireding their bad zone starts

Also worth of mentioning that TJ was paired with Hedman-Salo pretty much all the time. That pairing is allowing less shots attemps usually 77-6 is about 15 corsi/against per 20 min. Gudas-Carle is about 19.5/20 and Brewer-Sustr are at 15/20 also but play lesser competition.

But seriously if Hedman-TJ combo can contain Crosby then they can contain everyone right? Imagine Flip getting to play some 3rd liners after Stammer is back instead of 1st liners like he's done pretty much all season. Nothing can go wrong here!

extra funny stat from week old database: Salo's 4vs5 GA/Icetime is lower than Gudas' 5v5 :D

Last edited:

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
Marty isn't the defensive stalwart he once was, and having him against that line is a big mismatch.

I can't imagine Marty is that far behind TJ in defensive ability.

Pretty much what I was questioning is.

Brown Marty Flip or Panik Johnons Palat getting the most ice time. I would rather have the Marty line, they are not bad defensively and are definitely better offensively. We didn't score that game. Besides a fluke goal and an empty netter it was 1-0 which is great but we still have to score.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Brown Marty Flip or Panik Johnons Palat getting the most ice time. I would rather have the Marty line, they are not bad defensively and are definitely better offensively. We didn't score that game. Besides a fluke goal and an empty netter it was 1-0 which is great but we still have to score.

I think TJ is probably a fair amount ahead of Marty defensively. Marty seems to be getting pushed off pucks this year more easily than in the past. His +/- has plummeted since Stammer's injury. That's probably true of everyone, but it's especially true of Marty. He's having some decent games now though, so maybe there was a nagging injury?

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
I think TJ is probably a fair amount ahead of Marty defensively. Marty seems to be getting pushed off pucks this year more easily than in the past. His +/- has plummeted since Stammer's injury. That's probably true of everyone, but it's especially true of Marty. He's having some decent games now though, so maybe there was a nagging injury?

I think there most certainly is a lingering injury. He blocked a shot in an earlier game that hobbled him somethin fierce. He has been battling through it though. Doesn't look as engaged as he has in the past.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think there most certainly is a lingering injury. He blocked a shot in an earlier game that hobbled him somethin fierce. He has been battling through it though. Doesn't look as engaged as he has in the past.

Not sure it's the foot because there doesn't seem to be a problem with his speed. And also because he played fine directly after the injury and has played fine in spurts since. I mean, without Stamkos, Marty obviously isn't a 100 point player, but I also think he's quite a bit better than what he's shown lately. You notice when he wins battles right now because it doesn't happen that often.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Marty is pretty far back IMO, TJ is much more engaging with his speed and stick, he's similar to MSL when he first came to TB, constantly forcing turnovers and getting breakaways, whereas MSL is just simply trying to play "smart" and be in position, blocking lanes, but he often leaves a huge gap between him and opposing players.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Marty is pretty far back IMO, TJ is much more engaging with his speed and stick, he's similar to MSL when he first came to TB, constantly forcing turnovers and getting breakaways, whereas MSL is just simply trying to play "smart" and be in position, blocking lanes, but he often leaves a huge gap between him and opposing players.

Yea he's still a good player. Who wouldn't want a MSL on their team. His age is just showing. "Finally"..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad