GDT: 11/2/23 - 7:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Columbus

b0lthed

Mar 7, 2023
Stamkos looked good and dare I say … fast?

I think 10 games is enough to see that Merela isn’t ready for this. He’s got some size and enough speed, but I haven’t seen him win pucks along the boards or really distinguish himself offensively or defensively. Send him down, see if he shows some offense in the A and then consider him for a callup later.

Good news is that Tyler Motte is coming back (tomorrow?) and even though he’s No bottom-six savior, he should be a clear upgrade over Merela.

Tomkins was fine for most of the game, but IMO he was at fault for the go-ahead goal, which was obviously the back-breaker. He put himself slightly out of position when he decided to push the BeeJay to his left. Gudbranson’s shot was relatively harmless and even if that guy to his left screens him a little, an NHL goalie should have the bottom of the net covered in that situation. So …

When I saw that goal cost us a point or two, my first thought was of JBB and his baffling decision to pass on several proven backup goalies who were available on waivers and affordable. I still don’t get it, and I pray that JoJo continues to give us the level of goaltending that we’re gonna need in order to stay competitive until Vasy returns. Because Tomkins ain’t it, and maybe we win last night if we had Martin Jones or Alex Lyon or any number of guys who have actually won games in the NHL.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty

I think 10 games is enough to see that Merela isn’t ready for this. He’s got some size and enough speed, but I haven’t seen him win pucks along the boards or really distinguish himself offensively or defensively. Send him down, see if he shows some offense in the A and then consider him for a callup later.

Good news is that Tyler Motte is coming back (tomorrow?) and even though he’s No bottom-six savior, he should be a clear upgrade over Merela.

Tomkins was fine for most of the game, but IMO he was at fault for the go-ahead goal, which was obviously the back-breaker. He put himself slightly out of position when he decided to push the BeeJay to his left. Gudbranson’s shot was relatively harmless and even if that guy to his left screens him a little, an NHL goalie should have the bottom of the net covered in that situation. So …

When I saw that goal cost us a point or two, my first thought was of JBB and his baffling decision to pass on several proven backup goalies who were available on waivers and affordable. I still don’t get it, and I pray that JoJo continues to give us the level of goaltending that we’re gonna need in order to stay competitive until Vasy returns. Because Tomkins ain’t it, and maybe we win last night if we had Martin Jones or Alex Lyon or any number of guys who have actually won games in the NHL.
Should hold onto Merela after the next game. Just save on the flight costs when Motte stubs a toe on his first shift.

Reactions: Sky04

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Should hold onto Merela after the next game. Just save on the flight costs when Motte stubs a toe on his first shift.
Robert is on fire in Syracuse right now. 7 games played-6 goals, 4 assists, 10 points, and +5.
Perhaps a swap of Merela and Robert might be a good idea for the organization as the Lightning would be able to take advantage of Robert's current hot hand and Merela could get some top 6 minutes ice time in Syracuse.

Reactions: Peacefool

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Or give Groshev a shot,he could be more servicable at 3rd 4th line
Sorry but no way. Groshev over the same 7 games is 1g, 3a, 4pts and -3.
Robert is the one who deserves it right now at forward. He has stepped his game up far better than could have been imagined this early in the season.

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
Sorry but no way. Groshev over the same 7 games is 1g, 3a, 4pts and -3.
Robert is the one who deserves it right now at forward. He has stepped his game up far better than could have been imagined this early in the season.
I am not watching Syracuse games,but it seems that Groshev plays there in 4th line,so hes never have a chance to show his skills,at preaseasson he looked better than anyone and only lost battle for the spot to Merela, this is what I remember :)
But for sure if Robert is shining right now,give him a chance :)

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I am not watching Syracuse games,but it seems that Groshev plays there in 4th line,so hes never have a chance to show his skills,at preaseasson he looked better than anyone and only lost battle for the spot to Merela, this is what I remember :)

Groshev played 2 games registered 1 goals 0 assist and was in the 1st wave of cuts... he wasn't even in contention for the final spots.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
To be honest, Groshev has had opportunities with other lines, but has yet to make the adjustment. Of course, given this is his first season at the AHL level, it is to be expected. Five seasons of KHL is a nice way to find your skills, but there is a difference in talent level from the KHL to the AHL. Time is something the organization likes to give its younger players, so he has that on his side.
Patience and learning as he gets more time at the AHL level is the key. No reason to rush someone as young as he is and without the immediate high expectations of a Bedard.

Pierre Larouche

Jan 4, 2009
Maybe this team figures it out and is a contender. Or maybe the talent drain has been too great and the run is over. I don’t know
I guess we shall see.

I don't feel Mërela deserves so much criticism. He's hardly the weak link on this team imho.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad